Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ulenrich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomWij wrote:
Apparently vlc works with ffmpeg 2.1 if you bump it in your local overlay, as per https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=489972

Yes, me using ...
In the meantime I had stalls when more then two instances of vlc runing.

@TomWij, did you push upstream your Vlc pulseaudio patch?
(vlc/files/vlc-2.1.0-TomWij-bisected-PA-broken-underflow.patch)
I just saw Debian~unstable bumping vlc-2.1. I pulled their source, I didn't see your pulseaudio patch there implemented. I will try my Debian~unstable installation today how this works with pulseaudio. Interesting because they use the libav - not the ffmpeg backend.
TomWij
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet, thank you for the reminder.
ulenrich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, today an update of the relative new media player mpv!

Very well runs using these flags with ffmpeg-2.1:
Code:
[ebuild   R   #] media-video/ffmpeg-2.1:0/52.55.55::maci  USE="-3dnow -3dnowext X aac aacplus -alsa (-altivec) amr -amrenc -avx -bindist -bluray bzip2 cdio -celt -cpudetection -debug -doc encode examples faac fdk -flite fontconfig -frei0r -gme -gnutls gsm hardcoded-tables iconv -iec61883 -ieee1394 -jack -jpeg2k libass -libcaca libsoxr libv4l mmx mmxext -modplug mp3 (-neon) network -openal openssl opus -oss -pic pulseaudio -quvi rtmp schroedinger sdl speex ssse3 -static-libs {-test} theora threads truetype twolame v4l vaapi vdpau (-vis) vorbis -vpx wavpack x264 xvid zlib" FFTOOLS="aviocat cws2fws ffescape ffeval ffhash fourcc2pixfmt graph2dot ismindex pktdumper qt-faststart trasher" 0 kB

[ebuild   R    ] media-video/mpv-0.2.2  USE="X -alsa -bluray -bs2b -cdio -doc-pdf -dvb -dvd enca -encode iconv -jack -joystick -jpeg -ladspa -lcms libass -libcaca -libguess -lirc lua -luajit mng mp3 -openal opengl -oss -portaudio -postproc pulseaudio -pvr -quvi -radio -samba shm threads v4l -vaapi vcd -vdpau -vf-dlopen -wayland -xinerama -xscreensaver xv" 0 kB

Total: 2 packages (2 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 0 kB

With my old Mac-mini dualcore I tested compiling chromium using j2 while watching 3 hd videos at the same time: fluently works, no sound issues sliding forward or backwards!

I ever wonder how these USE flags best fit together: vaapi vdpau xv v4l opengl
Notice, best pulseaudio is to disable all alsa USE flags but for pulseaudio itself!
keet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv wrote:
media-video/mplayer-1.2_pre20130729 had been updated with fixes long ago. Perhaps you found a bug in an yet untested USE-flag combination...

Sure, blame it on my USE flags! Actually, media-video/mplayer-1.2_pre20130729 just compiled fine for me. Maybe I had been trying an older version, but I am not sure.

http://www.mplayer2.org/differences/ makes it sound like mplayer[1] is pretty bad. For example,
Quote:
The MEncoder codebase was thoroughly rotten and has been deleted. A different solution to provide some encoding functionality will be added in a future version.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keet wrote:
http://www.mplayer2.org/differences/ makes it sound like mplayer[1] is pretty bad.

The mplayer2 fork had similar animosities than the libav fork, so it is not surprising that they do not talk any good about each other.
Quote:
Quote:
The MEncoder codebase was thoroughly rotten

Which is true, unfortunately. For instance, with new kernels there are some sound issues even with OSS (alsa had always some strange delays) which never got fixed.
At least, the mplayer project has the sanity to keep the code in which a lot of people spent a lot of time and which still is useful and has no substitute - many possibilities are still not implemented in ffmpeg/libav, and as I mentioned there is the video/sound-desynchronization issue of the latter which makes it practically useless.

Unfortunately, all these aninmosities have the effect that multimedia support on linux is so broken that it is practically non-existent meanwhile. For instance, with current kernels, I can now no longer record from my TV card, anymore (with ffmpeg/libav I get unacceptable video/audio desynchronization, and with the mentioned mencoder problem the delays lead to so many framedrops that the produced file is useless as well). At least, reencoding of my dvb-t data is possible with a certain mencoder+avidemux combination with certain restrictions after many hours of trial+error. But several channels are not available on dvb-t...
ulenrich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@mv
Have you tried the alternative mpv with ffmpeg-2.1?
It is also a fork: mplayer -> mplayer2 -> mpv

@TomWij
Regarding your pulseaudio sync patch of vlc-2.1:
I just tried Debian~unstable Vlc-2.1 with pulseaudio-4, systemd-204, kde-410, libav-9.10
It does the sound perfectly! Which explains no ticket about that pulseaudio issue upstream from other distros.
Debian~unstable has no active extra patches for pulseaudio or vlc but for extra architectures - I don't see any in the sources quilt directory.

Last edited by ulenrich on Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
TomWij
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ulenrich wrote:
By the way, today an update of the relative new media player mpv!

Very well runs using these flags with ffmpeg-2.1:

@mv

Its maintainer told me that mpv upstream uses ffmpeg HEAD; so yes, it works with that.

ulenrich wrote:
I just tried Debian~unstable Vlc-2.1 with pulseaudio-4, systemd-204, kde-410, libav-9.10
It does the sound perfectly without your patch !?
Which explains no ticket about that pulseaudio issue upstream from other distros. Remaining questions:
- is it an ffmpeg issue (Debian uses libav)
- Has Debian patched pulseaudio-4 or do we have any build issue there?

Could very well be a ffmpeg issue; not sure about what Debian patches, but it fixes it for us without regressing it for others. vlc-2.1.0, pulseaudio-4.0, systemd-208-r2, GNOME-3.8, ffmpeg-1.2.4

The patch ain't new; it just brings back to what has been there before for years, it undoes some unsolicited cleanup that broke something that worked just fine.
ulenrich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomWij wrote:
not sure about what Debian patches

- I just looked into the source tar balls: Debian has no patches but extra fixes for special architectures (arm,bsd)
- I just tried on Debian mpv-0.2.2, which has to use libav there: no issues
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ulenrich wrote:
@mv

Since mplayer2 has almost entirely removed encoding functionality (up to a recent rudimentary core) and mpv is a fork of mplayer2 and has announced to remove even more code, I do not expect to find something working here. But maybe I will try when I have time.
ulenrich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv wrote:
ulenrich wrote:
@mv

Since mplayer2 has almost entirely removed encoding functionality (up to a recent rudimentary core) and mpv is a fork of mplayer2 and has announced to remove even more code, I do not expect to find something working here. But maybe I will try when I have time.

Yes, I have seen him claiming to concentrate on really used features:
https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/master/DOCS/man/en/encode.rst
But the developer also states chances are to reintroduce a feature even better when a wish appears to him. He is an ambitious guy but not ideological seems to me ... as vlc user I miss a key combination to half or double the size of the video.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: