Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
File sharing protocol efficiency? SMB/WebDAV etc...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
msalerno
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: File sharing protocol efficiency? SMB/WebDAV etc... Reply with quote

I recently purchased an appletv generation 2 and put xbmc on it. It's connected via wifi and downstairs from the wifi router. The question I have is which protocol is best for accessing my media on my Gentoo NAS? No NFS! it's not available on the appletv. My options are FTP, Samba, WebDAV, UPnP and XBMS. It's not as easy as just timing a file copy since some of the protocols in the list don't work as a file sharing protocol. I've been looking for some good comparisons but I haven't found anything useful. I realize that bandwidth is going to be static, so I guess it comes down to protocol overhead.

Does anyone have any good resources on protocol comparisons?

Thanks
gerdesj
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: File sharing protocol efficiency? SMB/WebDAV etc... Reply with quote

Have you tried any tests?

Anyway, ftp and cifs (Samba) should be about the same. WebDav: don't know but I suspect probably similar to ftp/cifs.

UPnP is not a data transfer protocol, its for network management.

Don't know what XBMS is but I presume it involves an XBox.

If you can't be arsed to do some investigation of your own then I suggest you use cifs.

Cheers
Jon
msalerno
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was asking for additional resources, not opinions. It happens to be quite a lot of tests when you break it down, and I'm sure I'm not the first to ask the question or ask for additional comparisons. I'm still not sure why you felt the need to reply.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: