HOWTO: Install OGRE
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hammy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: HOWTO: Install OGRE Reply with quote

Edit: It has come to my attention that emerging OGRE with USE="doc" installs the Sample stuff into /usr/share/doc/ogre-1.0.1/Samples. Either way, the permissions are still wrong for a normal user, so my HOWTO is still useful (hoorah).

This is a setup HOWTO for OGRE, a cross-platform 3D engine. I feel that the installation of a typical OGRE build on Gentoo lacked some finesse, and (lacking the skill of making my own ebuild) have written a HOWTO for improving the OGRE installation, post-emerge.

Emerging OGRE

Crazy Eddie's UI, as well as nVidia's CG shader libraries are very useful tools, and the ebuild has USE variables for both of them, which I recommend using. Devil is used for image loading, and you will certainly run into problems with images and textures if you leave this out.

This takes care of unmasking OGRE and the one unstable masked dependency that it has:
Code:
echo "=dev-games/ogre-1.0.1 ~x86" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
echo "=dev-cpp/libglademm-2.2.0 ~x86" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
USE="cegui cg devil opengl sdl" emerge ogre
(optional, if you want OGRE-specific USE variables) echo "dev-games/ogre cegui cg devil opengl sdl" >> /etc/portage/package.use

Getting the extras

While the ebuild (currently 1.0.1) is up-to-date, the problem is that the free stuff they give you (the meshes, materials, etc.) aren't installed anywhere. My solution was to re-use the distribution tarball, unpack it into a directory, and copy all of the files in Samples/Media to /usr/share/OGRE.

Code:
(run as root)
mkdir /usr/share/OGRE/Media
mkdir /tmp/ogre (I like working with stuff in /tmp, this is optional)
cd /tmp/ogre
tar xjf ogre-linux_osx-v1-0-1.tar.bz2
cd ogrenew
cp -R Samples/Media /usr/share/OGRE/Media
chmod -R 755 /usr/share/OGRE/Media

This is for the GTK window used in the OGRE application, which prompts you for a resolution, renderer, and fullscreen/window. The OGRE logo is not displayed if it is not found in /usr/share/OGRE/Media.

Code:
mv /usr/share/OGRE/Media/materials/textures/ogrelogo-small.jpg /usr/share/OGRE/Media

Demos

The demos can be compiled if you like, with the following:
Code:
./bootstrap
./configure (zziplib may be required, just emerge zziplib)
cd Samples
make

The demos will be placed in Samples/Common/bin. Edit the plugins.cfg file so that
Code:
PluginFolder=/usr/lib/OGRE

Clean up hard-coded files

Code:
cd Common/bin

Edit resources.cfg and replace every instance of ../../ with /usr/share/OGRE/
(there is likely an easy combination of tools to replace these, but I don't know much BASH scripting. Feel free to let me know and I will update with an equivalent one-liner).

At this point, all of the hard-coded links to the various resources have been dealt with, and can be stored later, just in case.

Code:
cp *.cfg /usr/share/OGRE/Media/ (or wherever you want)

Feel free to poke around in the ogrenew directory for documents and whatnot, or clean it up with:
Code:
rm -fr /tmp/ogrenew

Links!

OGRE - http://www.ogre3d.org
ceGUI - http://www.cegui.org
marcalj
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need an update of the post. The new ebuild makes all the extra things you explain ;)

Bye
malto
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update PLS
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: