Segmentation faults on just about everything
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phaseburn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:44 am    Post subject: Segmentation faults on just about everything Reply with quote

I just started getting segmentation faults on just about everything on my workstation at home.

Trying to emerge XFree86 4.3.0-r3 generates them at random places. Trying to emerge gnome 2.4 generates them at random places. Trying to emerge MySQL generates them at random places.

Even running emerge -up world sometimes segfaults (both before, and after calculating deps).

I'm pretty sure it's not the e-builds I'm using (they happen at random places, and while using other programs - I can't keep gnome or X-Chat open to save my life) but more along the lines of a library and/or hardware problem.

I've managed to successfully emerge memtest86 (after 5 tries or so) and I ran that - it came back several hours later saying my RAM was fine.

The system itself doesn't crash - I can SSH into it just fine, run most text-based apps with out problems, and generally use the system most of the time. It seems to be limited specifically to compiling things, and while in gnome 2.4 (which is only half-installed due to this problem, which is my guess why it's crashing).

I'm open to suggestions at this point. I am using -march=athlon-xp (as I have been for 7 months, which is how old this install is (but I do keep it up to date of course) so it hasn't *always* done this).

Is there any other hardware I could check to make sure it's not a problem? I'm personally thinking libs myself, however I've run revdep-rebuild and other than a QT problem against MySQL (I went from 3.x to 4.x and haven't recompiled QT yet - trying to avoid it- I don't use KDE and none of the QT-based apps I do use require MySQL (And nothing depending on QT is loaded when X randomly segfaults)) there's nothing listed. The recompile of QT of course fails as well...

Any help/advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: