LinuxDNA high performance IPO enabled kernel patch
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thaidog
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: LinuxDNA high performance IPO enabled kernel patch Reply with quote

This time around Jeroen has managed to get the -ipo1 flag working with a lot of different parts of the kernel (but not all parts) Still it should provide a significant performance boost:

wget http://www.linuxdna.com/dna-ipo-2.6.34.1-intel64-1.patch

Also Luyi has created a 2.6.35 patch:

wget http://www.linuxdna.com/dna-2.6.35-intel64-2.patch

This one does not have any ipo support enabled yet.

These beta patches have been tested with icc v. 11.1.072 - Please post to the linuxdna google group for best support resolution! 8)
Letharion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to see you've gotten "up to speed" in the kernels. :)
IIRC you only had a somewhat, in Gentoo terms, old release working last time I checked.

I saw https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-814539-start-0.html, but those number don't mean anything to me.
It would be interesting to see some more benchmarks. Phoronix, anyone? :)
Thaidog
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letharion wrote:
I'm glad to see you've gotten "up to speed" in the kernels. :)
IIRC you only had a somewhat, in Gentoo terms, old release working last time I checked.

I saw https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-814539-start-0.html, but those number don't mean anything to me.
It would be interesting to see some more benchmarks. Phoronix, anyone? :)

LMbench would probably be the best thing to bench the kernels with because it is a more direct benchmark (and Torvalds uses it for his benchies :wink: )
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is performance defined and what constitutes a boost? If these patches are an improvement, why have they not been accepted into the mainline kernel?
Ormaaj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shining Arcanine wrote:
How is performance defined and what constitutes a boost? If these patches are an improvement, why have they not been accepted into the mainline kernel?
Because that would require a whole boatload of other modification in order to remove all GNUisms that prevent compilation with ICC. I would assume these patches are ICC specific and don't have anything to do with GCC's -fwhopr for instance.
Thaidog
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shining Arcanine wrote:

The patches are used to compile the kernel with icc instead of gcc.... therefore it's never going to be "mainline". We do submit bugs we find however in an effort to enhance the kernel source itself. Performance is simple... it makes the kernel do what it does faster. In some cases marginally faster in other cases noticeably faster.
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaidog wrote:
Shining Arcanine wrote:

The patches are used to compile the kernel with icc instead of gcc.... therefore it's never going to be "mainline". We do submit bugs we find however in an effort to enhance the kernel source itself. Performance is simple... it makes the kernel do what it does faster. In some cases marginally faster in other cases noticeably faster.

Is there some reason why the mainline kernel will not support icc in addition to gcc? I had heard of work that Intel had done a few years ago to fix issues in the kernel that kept it from being compiled in ICC and I thought that the mainline kernel would have merged that work by now.

By the way, are the LinuxDNA kernel patches exclusively targeted toward compilation with ICC? If that is the case, I might try them. It would be nice to compile the kernel with ICC.
Thaidog
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shining Arcanine wrote:
Thaidog wrote:
Shining Arcanine wrote:

Is there some reason why the mainline kernel will not support icc in addition to gcc? I had heard of work that Intel had done a few years ago to fix issues in the kernel that kept it from being compiled in ICC and I thought that the mainline kernel would have merged that work by now.

By the way, are the LinuxDNA kernel patches exclusively targeted toward compilation with ICC? If that is the case, I might try them. It would be nice to compile the kernel with ICC.

It's really more of a matter of icc supporting the kernel than the the other way around. Every release of icc needs to work with the code that was specifically written with gcc intrinsics in mind. This causes issues sometimes and we submit those bugs directly to Intel to make sure the next release of icc works correctly. So really we have two jobs in our project - make patch that compiles with icc and make sure icc will compile it. Because mainline kernel developers are most interested in making sure their code works on a variety of cpus and platforms gcc is the natural choice... our development focus is much more specific.
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there an overlay in which ebuilds are available for these sources?
Thaidog
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shining Arcanine wrote:
Is there an overlay in which ebuilds are available for these sources?

No but there is an ebuild for icc 11.1.072 available:

https://linuxdna.googlegroups.com/web/icc-11.1.072.ebuild?gda=T2u4DUUAAAD0gNk3t44wOeXmN0uJBYd_FXVtEksBS8jx3MHJXTAI4gnPoYQQZMVe1DOKJA2BhemDZqR8dKjM0Qc-II147_xFGu1iLHeqhw4ZZRj3RjJ_-A
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any news on this for 2.6.37 ? :)

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: