Promise Raid
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VampyreUK
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 11:46 am    Post subject: Promise Raid Reply with quote

Hi,

I currently use SuSE 8.x but I am looking for something better (maybe?) :-)

I've tried a lot of distro's and chose SuSE because it supported my onboard promise raid controller ... I have two 30Gb HD's on it giving me a 60Gb drive and most distro's see it as two distinct drives however SuSE does not (see's it as a single raid drive)!

So the question is does Gentoo easily support my hardware i.e. promise raid and Nvidia GeForce 2 MX .. I suspect most other things will be fine :-)

Thanks

VampyreUK
mksoft
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For NVidida you're OK, no problems there.

As for Promise raid it is supported in the kernel. You have to check 2 options in the kernel under IDE, ATA and ATAPI Block devices:
    PROMISE PDC202{46|62|65|67|68|69|70} support
    Support Promise software RAID (Fasttrak(tm))

The module for the raid is called pdcraid.

Don't know if the installation CD has support compiled in for promise and the raid module, I can check it later if you won't get an answer.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 12:28 pm    Post subject: What I Am Trying To Achieve :-) Reply with quote

Hi MKSoft,

> For NVidida you're OK, no problems there.

OK :-)

> As for Promise raid it is supported in the kernel. You have to check 2
> options in the kernel under IDE, ATA and ATAPI Block devices:
> PROMISE PDC202{46|62|65|67|68|69|70} support
> Support Promise software RAID (Fasttrak(tm))
> The module for the raid is called pdcraid.

Assume I'm a beginner ... what do you mean by "check"?

Please bear in mind I have been mentally damaged by serious exposure to MS (I'm an MCSE) so sometimes I just don't understand things despite around half a year of "mucking around" with Linux :-)

> Don't know if the installation CD has support compiled in for promise
> and the raid module, I can check it later if you won't get an answer.

Admittedly it isn't of vast importance in the short term as I will install it on a spare portable I have AND the system with the raid also has a removable drive which I use to override the main system (currently SuSE) so I can use Linux, Win2K or Me as I like.

I might as well tell you what I'm trying to achieve ... I am very much trying to migrate all my stuff over to Linux. Working in IT I have lots of machines, a home network (currently based around a Win2K server but eventually to migrate to Linux too) and more two portables. I don't dislike MS OS's but I do dislike it's licensing schemes plus I also consider learning *nix a good career choice and my employer/line manager is prepared to help me with that. My primary requirement is to handle e-mail (I want to use evolution), web development (I run two web sites at present), mp3/video playing and mp3 creation, word-processing and browsing (both in particular used for debating on the net in discussion forums). The word processor/browser aspect is particularly important since I use a word processor for ease of use (over the discussion forum's text entry box) so the key components are a UK spell-checker that works (there are bugs in OpenOffice), cut & paste (from WP to WWW & vice versa), saving to a common format (by which I mean MS compatible and I have chosen RTF since it can contain no macro's ... all my documents are stored in this format) and a mail facility that can handle (independently) 5 or more e-mail accounts not necessarily on the same ISP. All Internet access is by proxy (currently Jana Server but soon to be some kind of Internet equivalent!

Phew!

VampyreUK
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What I Am Trying To Achieve :-) Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Assume I'm a beginner ... what do you mean by "check"?

Select those as part of your kernel config. (usually done via "make menuconfig")

mksoft wrote:
Don't know if the installation CD has support compiled in for promise
> and the raid module, I can check it later if you won't get an answer.

I believe it does, at least in 1.2, but have never used it myself.

--kurt
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: