Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo world update after 5 months and the hell...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:38 am    Post subject: Gentoo world update after 5 months and the hell... Reply with quote

did not break loose...:-D 758 packages updated. Everything went smoothly (apart from a few blocks, which I simply passed over by unmerging stuff left, right and center...;-)) on my laptop. KDE got upgraded to 4.6 and I can now finally use the effects because both the userland (kwin mostly but xorg, libdrm, intel driver and mesa) and the kernel modules have evolved enough for opengl to work smoothly. WOW! My laptop is a beast now...:-D

All this from within the KDE 4.5.1 session. And of course, no reboot required. This is Gentoo experience at its best! GFTW!
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder why people have problems in updating after 4-5 months. It was quite regular for me to update once in 6 months earlier. I used to have a lot of testing packages and once I hit a point where the system was stable, I would not update for a couple of months. Nowadays, i simply stick with stable packages as much as possible and update once every week or two weeks.
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do check out the packages with world updates but I don't update very often. Unless I really need to. Like in this case, I was feeling KDE 4.5 is too old.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha! That means I am still running kde-4.4.5 since none of those packages are stable beyond that version. But I don't have the whole DE, I only have the bare minimum libs required to run some applications. The applications (okular, kuser, kdialog, k3b, basket) themselves haven't changed much; most of the changes have been in plasma, kwin and other bling. So, I doubt I am missing anything by remaining at 4.4.5.
chithanh
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost all blocks are resolved automatically nowadays. Only if you have some of the packages in world then the block won't be resolved.
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on how close you are to the mainline; If your system is totally stock and customized, Gentoo *should* be able to update from any point, then you just need to worry about big changes breaking things, e.g. going from KDE3 to KDE4, or new versions of libraries which aren't backward compatible.

My system is mildly customized, and I'm also a stick in the mud so if I wait a month things break if I emerge blindly :lol:

My current major obstacle is xorg and all it's millions of satellite libraries, as it apparently needs a newer udev than my system will support as I am hanging on to /dev/hdx

The annoying thing is I don't even want an updated xorg because IIRC the current stable version of tigervnc doesn't even work with it, but the last supported version has been removed from the tree by the looks of it :(
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: