wierd portage problems....
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roofy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:50 am    Post subject: wierd portage problems.... Reply with quote

hey i just got my nforce2 and im trying to put gentoo on it, but regardless of what stage i do 1, or 2, i have to emerge somthing several tiems b4 it actually goes all the way thru....for example i would run scripts/bootstrap.sh and it would crash around binutils telling me stuf about src exitcode, or even worse the kernel would get a panic and a ctrl c woudlnt even get me to prompt, so now im trying to do emerge system, and same thing python failed, so i ran emerge system again and it went thru now perl is failing....this is getting realy annoying

ive ran emerge sync several times with env-update, ive also changed my cflagfs to very basic flags...what should i do?

edit: i think i narrowed out the problem,i ran a low level format b4 i tried installing gentoo........you guys think that could be a reason? im going to use my utility floppy and set up the drive,which i never did
80GB Maxtor HD
48x CD-RW
ATI 9700 Pro
bonsaikitten
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your sig has the word "overclocked" in it.

Don't overclock with gentoo. Get your system back to some sane values, try again, if the problem remains you might get a useful answer.

There are many threads in this forum because overclocking and compiling doesn't mix well. So please, don't overclock.
roofy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm im not that agressively clocked, my kt400 was fine with the same clock settings, nevertheless you are correct ill put my stuff at standard clock...i really hope i dont have to use it at standard clock
80GB Maxtor HD
48x CD-RW
ATI 9700 Pro
bonsaikitten
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roofy wrote:
hmmm im not that agressively clocked, my kt400 was fine with the same clock settings, nevertheless you are correct ill put my stuff at standard clock...i really hope i dont have to use it at standard clock

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to insult you.

That being said, overclocking might work most of the time, but especially in CPU-intensive environments (like compiling) even mild overclocking can have devastating effects. Most problems with random segfaults etc. can be tracked down to faulty ram or overclocked hardware. Even slight out-of-spec operation can create these hard to track down errors. And don't say "not that aggresively", your 2100+ is what, 1800Mhz? Overclocked to 2100Mhz is quite a step. And especially those VIA-Boards... I had some experience with them that tells me never to trust that company again. hmmm...

And what makes you say that you don't want to use it at standard clock? I'm using an 1600+, not overclocked, and I'm quite happy with my performance !?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: