Need a litttle advice on what to keep with mac-fdisk
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cayenne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:12 am    Post subject: Need a litttle advice on what to keep with mac-fdisk Reply with quote

Hello all,
I"m starting off an install on an iBook G3

Reading about the yaboot partions, etc...my layout looks a bit different than what is listed in the handbook and I would like a little advice on what I need to keep and what to get rid of.

Quote:
mac-fdisk -l give the following:

/dev/hda
# type name length base (size) system
/dev/hda1 Apple_partition_map Apple 63 @ 1 (31.5K) Partition map
/dev/hda2 Apple_Free 262144 @ 64 (128.0M) Free Space
/dev/hda3 Apple_HFS Apple_HFS_Untitled_4 58342896 @ 262208 (27.8G) HFS
/dev/hda4 Apple_Free 16 @ 58605104 (8.0k) Free Space

Block size=512, Number of Blocks=58605120
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0

/dev/hdb
# type name length base (size) system
/dev/hdb1 Apple_partition_map Apple 2 @ 1 (1.0k) Partition map
/dev/hdb2 Apple_HFS catalyst 20101212 260748 @ 16 (127.3M) HFS

lock size=512, Number of Blocks=260764
DeviceType=0x1, DeviceId=0x1

In the install manual, it speaks of one Apple Partition map....and one Apple Bootstrap.

I"m guessing the /dev/hda1 is the real Apple Partition map I need to keep...but not sure which is the Apple Bootstrap

Also, is mentioned that possible there is a Apple Disk drivers that can be deleted (not using OSX this is too old to bother with dual boot)....but I don't see it?

I'm not sure what that last one is...named catalyst?

Anyway, I'm just wanting to know what all I can blow away...I'm going to set up a partition for /boot and /, and hopefully one to put /home and /usr...to keep data separate from the OS.

Thank you in advance for any insight you might have...

cayenne :P
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would blow it all away, and create a new partition map, a new apple bootstrap, swap, and whatever else you need.
cayenne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:10 am    Post subject: ok Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
I would blow it all away, and create a new partition map, a new apple bootstrap, swap, and whatever else you need.

Thank you for the reply....

I would do this with the mac-disk -i command?

With regard to the new partition map...you mean the apple partition map? I thought it could not be dropped....it can and be recreated with the mac-disk?

Thanks again,

c
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't worked with linux on a mac in a couple of years.

As recall, you can just fire up mac-fdisk, create a new partition map from within it, and so on. As I recall, mac-fdisk offers some kind of help, which lists the various commands available from within the program. There may also be a man page.

I don't remember anything about needing to retain the existing apple partition map. But if you are more comfortable keeping it, go ahead and do so, as there is really no reason to drop it, provided that it has not been corrupted somehow.

You can probably get by with doing nothing more than re-creating the bootstrap partition (which is probably hda2, but since it's not labeled as such, I'd re-create it).

However, what I personally would recommend is deleting all the partitions, optionally creating a new partition map, creating a new bootstrap partition, and so on.

If you're not comfortable with what I'm telling you, you may get some advice from somebody who's done this more recently if you wait. But you've really got nothing to lose since you're not retaining any old data or dual-booting. The utility can either create a partition map or it can't (and I think it can).
blob999
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With mac-fdisk you must initialize (i) the partition map then you must create a bootstrap partition (b).
But mac-fdisk is a bit old piece of sw thus it's unable to properly initialize new big hard disk drives.
You should use parted to make a "mac" type partition table then you must manually create an 800k bootstrap partition.

My method is to use parted to initialize the partition table on the disk and then to use mac-fdisk for the further work.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blob999 wrote:
With mac-fdisk you must initialize (i) the partition map then you must create a bootstrap partition (b).
But mac-fdisk is a bit old piece of sw thus it's unable to properly initialize new big hard disk drives.
You should use parted to make a "mac" type partition table then you must manually create an 800k bootstrap partition.

My method is to use parted to initialize the partition table on the disk and then to use mac-fdisk for the further work.

How big can the hard drive be before you can no longer use mac-fdisk to initialize it?
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

512GB is the max size that mac-fdisk works properly with, as far as I know.

EDIT: Haha, actually, it looks like I might have fixed it up to 2TB and totally forgot about it. Oops. :p https://bugs.gentoo.org/199430
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: