Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
leaving email "unread" after being fetched by pop3 client?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shallpion
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:43 am    Post subject: leaving email "unread" after being fetched by pop3 Reply with quote

Hi. Sorry if I am asking a problem which is not gentoo specific. I have an email account on my company's RHEL server which is running sendmail Version 8. Originally I ran a mutt+getmail on my home gentoo computer to fetch email from the server through POP3 and everything was fine. Recently I set up a IMAP client on my cell phone so I can check mail any time. But I noticed that as long as one email was fetched by the getmail, it would be set as read on the server so I didn't get new email reminding on my cell phone, which was inconvenient sometimes. I tried to communicated with our administrator but he said he didn't know very much about sendmail configuration(if it is really a setting problem of sendmail) unless I provide more information. I searched a little in the document of sendmail but didn't find any useful information. Is it really a sendmail setting problem? Thank you :)
rad_scorpion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for me, it doesn't look as a server side problem at all. Or, at least, it has nothing to do with sendmail, as it is an MTA. Check your client side POP3 to leave messages at the server so the IMAP daemon would be able to provide it to your cellphone.
shallpion
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. At first I thought it was client-side problem too. But this seems to be a little bit confusing:

1. If I use any pop3 client to download a new email to local, and then use getmail+mutt to download it again, the mail is clearly in maildir/inbox/new folder, but my reminder program "gnubiff" simply didn't alert me about its existence, and through IMAP client I can see the mail is right there on the server, marked as "already read". By the way I usually let gnubiff to monitor my local maildir/inbox/new folder

2. This happens ONLY to this mail account. I have several mail accounts and I use the same setting to retrieve mails through POP3. For other mail accounts no matter how many times I let POP3 clients to download an email, the email still remains unread if I check it later through IMAP and programs like "gnubiff" pops up if I use specifically getmail+mutt to download it again.

That is why I start to consider it might be a server problem.
shallpion
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I logged into the server through SSH and checked /var/spool/mail/my_ID and it appears that as long as a POP3 client has downloaded the new email, it was marked as "status: RO". That is why gnubiff ignores it even though it is downloaded into maildir/inbox/new, and why IMAP doesn't say it is new mail. I guess it is indeed a server problem.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: