Pearls before swine. :roll:

You guys probably drink wine coolers and wear Crocs, too. :P
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
What's an example of a good actor, then (reasonably contemporary)? Marlon Brando, Robert Downey Jr., Christian Bale, Russel Crowe
LOL, Cage is better than all of them IMO. Brando is awful.
++
GabrielYYZ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicholas Cage's movies are fairly good, entertaining without turning into a metaphysical exploration of the true meaning of being or some bullshit like that, even though i sometimes enjoy bullshit like that, sometimes you want to let the brain cells rest and watch some nonsense (like Knowing (2009), for example).
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
pjp wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
What's an example of a good actor, then (reasonably contemporary)? Marlon Brando, Robert Downey Jr., Christian Bale, Russel Crowe
++

You guys are like the Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum of bad taste in flims. Plus-plussing each other doesn't help.

Last edited by Bones McCracker on Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:17 am; edited 2 times in total
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really?

You're just pissed because no one's plus-plussing you.

Your list contains worst actors of all time. They don't even act, they play themselves in screen. And Brando? Someone has to be severely delusional if they consider him an actor. Does anyone even understand the words coming out of his mouth? It's like someone speaking with marbles in his mouth.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, really.

Brando is one of the greatest actors ever recorded. Cage isn't even in the same league.

I'm not saying you shouldn't like what you like, or watch what you like. I'm just saying you two have bad taste and wouldn't know acting if it crawled up your asses and bit you.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you made up your mind on what to post? Can I reply now? Oh, wait, you've not posted anything that can be replied to.

But, how does one with bad taste (you) tell anyone else, that they've got bad taste?

Brando was so great an actor that he went broke, acting. :roll:
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
Have you made up your mind on what to post? Can I reply now? Oh, wait, you've not posted anything that can be replied to.

But, how does one with bad taste (you) tell anyone else, that they've got bad taste?

He went broke drinking. Before he did that, he achieved a lasting reputation as a fine actor and starred in a bunch of truly great works of art. Cage is a weak actor who has been successful in the action film genre as a pop icon. he reflects the style of the times. That's all. His equivalent from Brando's years would be somebody like James Caan, or Lee Marvin.

Anyway, you should watch whatever you like. You might want to broaden your horizons a little, though. Watch some old, highly rated classic films or something.
sikpuppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
notageek wrote:

He went broke drinking. Before he did that, he achieved a lasting reputation as a fine actor and starred in a bunch of truly great works of art. Cage is a weak actor who has been successful in the action film genre as a pop icon. he reflects the style of the times. That's all. His equivalent from Brando's years would be somebody like James Caan, or Lee Marvin.

Anyway, you should watch whatever you like. You might want to broaden your horizons a little, though. Watch some old, highly rated classic films or something.
Meh.
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BK: ++
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sikpuppy wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
notageek wrote:

Meh.

Another Bollywood and anime fan? :P
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
notageek wrote:

You should take some of that advice yourself. Just because a movie is old, doesn't make it good or classic.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
notageek wrote:

You should take some of that advice yourself. Just because a movie is old, doesn't make it good or classic.

You do know how the comma works in English, right? When I say "old, highly rated classic film" that means "old AND highly rated classic films". It does not mean, "old OR highly-rated OR classic films".

My point is that really good movies only come out once in a while -- maybe one or two a year, if any. So why limit yourself to recent stuff? If you want to see good acting, good screenplays, good directing, good cinematography, then pick from everything that's out there. If it's more important to you to see the latest special effects, as much violence, profanity, and nudity as possible, and the same bad actors over and over again, then watch what you've been watching. It's your choice.

Personally, I'd rather see for the first time something good like "Lawrence of Arabia", "On the Waterfront", or even "Aguirre: the Wrath of God", than "Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance".

Last edited by Bones McCracker on Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your point sucks monkey's balls. In-fact, you don't even remember what point you're making. Now that you have problem with a comma.

Brando speaks with marbles in his mouth. His "acting" sucks. He sucks. He's probably the worst actor in the entire history of acting. If he can be called an actor to begin with.

And none of the old films are highly rated for their merit. All old movies are filled with hamming actors because that's what they were told to do. Acting.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I edited my post while you were knee-jerking.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I have no way of telling if you edited your post after reading mine. So, I'm going to take your original post.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to apologize to me; you're the one with your fingers in your ears, going through life with a Croc-wearing sense of aesthetics. :lol:
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you were apologizing to me for making ham-fisted posts on "classic" films.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I was adding some educational commentary to help you enhance your quality of life:
Quote:
My point is that really good movies only come out once in a while -- maybe one or two a year, if any. So why limit yourself to recent stuff? If you want to see good acting, good screenplays, good directing, good cinematography, then pick from everything that's out there. If it's more important to you to see the latest special effects, as much violence, profanity, and nudity as possible, and the same bad actors over and over again, then watch what you've been watching. It's your choice.

Personally, I'd rather see for the first time something good like "Lawrence of Arabia", "On the Waterfront", or even "Aguirre: the Wrath of God", than "Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance".
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take that advise yourself and watch some Nicolas Cage movies. You'll discover a world of better taste.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol:
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd understand the discussion if we were talking about some other actor, but Nicholas Cage?
bogamol
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heath Ledger was one I'd place in the Nick Cage category. Then he pulled it out of his hat as the Joker, but that effort killed him.

Juniper wrote:
I fail to see the relevance.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
notageek wrote:
pjp wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
++

You guys are like the Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum of bad taste in flims. Plus-plussing each other doesn't help.
You may be right, but that is highly unlikely since you also think Brando can act.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Prenj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the question is what it means to act. Does it mean to throw tantrums, or does it mean to project across the essence of a character with minimal energy spent?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: