Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Xorg is failing to start up. How can I fix this?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CoderAiGentoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:03 am    Post subject: Xorg is failing to start up. How can I fix this? Reply with quote

Hi, I recently installed xorg and i3 on gentoo and I've been having some troubles with starting xorg. I have followed these wikis here https://wiki.gentoo.org /wiki/Xorg , https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Xorg/Guide , https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/NVIDIA/nvidia-drivers to install xorg. The issue that I am having is every time I use the command startx to start xorg I get an error message that looks like this https://imgur.com/a/DYOknaG ( sorry for not using wgetpaste I am not to sure on how to use wgetpaste when its not file I'll be using wgetpaste on). This is what my Xorg.0.log file looks like http://dpaste.com/1Z9P9N2 and this is how my make.conf file is set up http://dpaste.com/120CFC7. When installing xorg I followed the wiki guides every carefully so I am confused as to why xorg is failing to start. What can I do to fix this issue so that xorg will start up and i3 will open up as my desktop?
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to gentoo forum!
Try to enable CONFIG_DRM=y in kernel also in the nvidia guide tell to remove it.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your make.conf says it should have the nvidia driver but your xorg log claims it's trying to load fbdev, vesa and vmware, all of which shouldn't be installed.

Post the output of:
Code:
grep -F /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/  "$(portageq vdb_path)"/*/*/CONTENTS
CoderAiGentoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I should have mentioned that I have gentoo installed in a virtual box which is probably why you see it saying its trying to load to fbdev, vesa, and vmware. This is the the output I got https://imgur.com/a/97wZL5i again sorry for not using wpastepin I don't know how to use it on a non file.

Where do find the CONFIG_DRM=Y in the kernel settings?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoderAiGentoo,

You ask the kernel.

In menconfig, press / to search. Enter DRM. Lower case works too.

Code:
VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia"
is only correct if you are doing video card passthrough to the guest.
It you are not making a real nvidia card available to the guest, your video card is whatever lspci says in the guest.

With VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia" in make.conf, only the nvidia-drivers and modeset drivers will be installed and modeset needs CONFIG_DRM in the kernel.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
CoderAiGentoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I typed lspci this is what I got https://imgur.com/a/63eB4l6. I am guessing the vga compatible controller: vmware svga II adapter is the video driver that I am using for virtual box? I honestly did not pass through anything to the virtual box. I just did the minimal installation of Gentoo and the installed xorg and i3. I typed / config_drm in the menuconfig and I got a large list, but I did not find anything that said CONFIG_DRM. Is there a way to narrow down the search finds?
Banana
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/NVIDIA/nvidia-drivers#Direct_rendering_is_not_enabled

PFL - Portage file list - find which package a file or command belongs to.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoderAiGentoo,

That's your virtual hardware as provided to the guest by Virtualbox. You configure your system for that hardware.
Its totally unrelated to the host system.

Code:
$ eix xorg-drivers
[I] x11-base/xorg-drivers
     Available versions:  1.9[1] 1.10[1] 1.11[1] 1.12[1] 1.13[1] (~)1.14[1] 1.20-r2{tbz2} **9999*l {INPUT_DEVICES="acecad aiptek elographics evdev fpit hyperpen joystick keyboard libinput mouse mutouch penmount synaptics tslib vmmouse void wacom" VIDEO_CARDS="amdgpu apm ark ast chips cirrus dummy epson fbdev fglrx freedreno geode glint i128 i740 i915 i965 impact intel mach64 mga modesetting neomagic newport nouveau nv nvidia omap omapfb qxl r128 radeon radeonsi rendition s3 s3virge savage siliconmotion sis sisusb sunbw2 suncg14 suncg3 suncg6 sunffb sunleo suntcx tdfx tegra tga trident tseng v4l vc4 vesa via virtualbox vmware voodoo"}

xorg-drivers knows about both virtualbox vmware virtual hardware. You want the vmware one.
I suspect there is a kernel module part too, which will want CONFIG_DRM. All modern video drivers use the Direct Render Manager kernel layer.

Make friends with wgetpaste. We can't copy/paste from an image.

When I search for DRM, I get a large list too. Its at the top of my list.
Code:
  ┌──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────── Search Results ─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
  │ Symbol: DRM [=y]                                                                                                                                        │ 
  │ Type  : tristate                                                                                                                                        │ 
  │ Defined at drivers/gpu/drm/Kconfig:8                                                                                                                    │ 
  │   Prompt: Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86 4.1.0 and higher DRI support)                                                                               │ 
  │   Depends on: HAS_IOMEM [=y] && (AGP [=y] || AGP [=y]=n) && !EMULATED_CMPXCHG && HAS_DMA [=y]                                                           │ 
  │   Location:                                                                                                                                             │ 
  │     -> Device Drivers                                                                                                                                   │ 
  │ (1)   -> Graphics support                                                                                                                               │ 
  │ Selects: DRM_PANEL_ORIENTATION_QUIRKS [=y] && HDMI [=y] && FB_CMDLINE [=y] && I2C [=y] && I2C_ALGOBIT [=y] && DMA_SHARED_BUFFER [=y] && SYNC_FILE [=y]  │ 

Notice the
Code:
(1)   -> Graphics support
If you press digit 1, menuconfig will take you there.
Notice other entries in the list fave ascending numbers ... they work too.

While I'm poking about in menuconfig, I'll tell you that you will need CONFIG_DRM_VMWGFX too. You know how to find it.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
CoderAiGentoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banana I went to the link and unmarked < > Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86 4.1.0 and higher DRI support) and the results were still the same, I still getting an error when starting xorg.

NeedySeagoon I am at a lost at what I am suppose to do. Typed / drm and typed 1 but I still don't find config_drm. Although I did find an option for DRM driver for VMware Virtual GPU would that be something I want to select?
Banana
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you did recompile and reboot after you made those changes to your kernel?

PFL - Portage file list - find which package a file or command belongs to.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoderAiGentoo,

You need
Code:
<*> Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86 4.1.0 and higher DRI support)  --->

That's CONFIG_DRM

You will need
Code:
<*> DRM driver for VMware Virtual GPU
too. Its help says
Code:
CONFIG_DRM_VMWGFX:                                                                                │ 
  │                                                                                                   │ 
  │ Choose this option if you would like to run 3D acceleration                                       │ 
  │ in a VMware virtual machine.                                                                      │ 
  │ This is a KMS enabled DRM driver for the VMware SVGA2                                             │ 
  │ virtual hardware.                                                                                 │ 
  │ The compiled module will be called "vmwgfx.ko".                                                   │ 
  │                                                                                                   │ 
  │ Symbol: DRM_VMWGFX [=n]                                                                           │ 
  │ Type  : tristate                                                                                  │ 
  │ Defined at drivers/gpu/drm/vmwgfx/Kconfig:2                                                       │ 
  │   Prompt: DRM driver for VMware Virtual GPU                                                       │ 
  │   Depends on: HAS_IOMEM [=y] && DRM [=y] && PCI [=y] && X86 [=y] && MMU [=y]                      │ 
  │   Location:                                                                                       │ 
  │     -> Device Drivers                                                                             │ 
  │       -> Graphics support                                                                         │ 
  │ Selects: FB_DEFERRED_IO [=y] && FB_CFB_FILLRECT [=y] && FB_CFB_COPYAREA [=y] && \                 │ 
  │ FB_CFB_IMAGEBLIT [=y] && DRM_TTM [=y] && FB [=y] && MAPPING_DIRTY_HELPERS [=n] && \               │ 
  │ DRM_KMS_HELPER [=y]

Rebuild and reinstall your kernel with those options set.

Before you reboot into the new kernel, run
Code:
uname -a
and make a note of the time and date it shows.
After you reboot,
Code:
uname -a
will show a more recent time and date.
That time and date is the build time of the running kernel.

Many users new to building and installing kernels on Gentoo have fixed their problem but don't know it because they are not using the kernel they thought they were.

Fixing the kernel alone is not enough as you have the wrong value in VIDEO_CARDS, so have the wrong video driver installed.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
CoderAiGentoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enabled <*> Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86 4.1.0 and higher DRI support) ---> and as well enabled <*> DRM driver for VMware Virtual GPU. I saved the changes in the kernel and then ran the command sudo make && sudo make modules_install as well took note from the output from the command uname -a. I reboot Gentoo and now it freezes during boot this were it freezes https://imgur.com/a/RSp5JQx. Its been there for about 10 minutes now.

Excluded a period off of the image URL.Chiitoo
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, I am running two machines with nvidia-drivers, and CONFIG_DRM is not set on both of them. As it has never been for 15 years.
CoderAiGentoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how did you get your xorg to work?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoderAiGentoo,

You are not using an nvidia video card.
What dmpogo says is correct but not useful to you.

Code:
sudo make && sudo make modules_install
will not do what you need.
Code:
<*> Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86 4.1.0 and higher DRI support)
<*> DRM driver for VMware Virtual GPU
says to build the code into the kernel binary.
Your sudo make && sudo make modules_install did not install the kernel binary into /boot, so you are now using the old kernel with new mismatched modules.

The manual steps to update your kernel are

Code:
make menuconfig
to adjust the kernel configuration.
Code:
make -jX
where X is the number of threads the kernel should use to build.
Code:
make modules_install
to install the kernel modules.
Code:
mount /boot
or the next step will appear to work but will install the kernel binary to the wrong place.
Code:
cp arch/x86/boot/bzimage /boot/<nice_kernel_name>
This step installs the new kernel binary where grub can find it.
Lastly, update grub.cfg so it can find the new kernel.

Reboot to test.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: