PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

msalerno wrote:
Issue with path resolved.

Rather than using the config given for the slim.conf
Code:
login_cmd    exec ck-launch-session startxfce4

The below line works
Code:
login_cmd   exec /usr/bin/ck-launch-session /bin/bash -login /usr/share/slim/Xsession %session

Yes, this looks correct. I've removed the faulty example from the first post completely.
Drasica
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed this guide because my I was getting "Not Authorized" errors when trying to access automounted USB devices.

After following the 'emerge -avDNut world' step, however, my *previously working* USB mouse/keyboard are no longer working: I get to the SLIM login screen, and cannot type anything/move the mouse.

lsusb shows that the USB receivers for the mouse/keyboard show us;
Code:

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 009 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 005 Device 002: ID 0763:2027 Midiman
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 046d:c52b Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver
Bus 004 Device 003: ID 046d:c52b Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver

'dmesg | grep usb' shows promising stuff:
Code:

[    3.097143] usb 4-3: New USB device found, idVendor=046d, idProduct=c52b
[    3.097178] usb 4-3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[    3.097212] usb 4-3: Product: USB Receiver
[    3.097245] usb 4-3: Manufacturer: Logitech
[    3.105288] input: Logitech USB Receiver as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:12.0/usb4/4-3/4-3:1.0/input/input2
[    3.105433] generic-usb 0003:046D:C52B.0001: input,hidraw0: USB HID v1.11 Keyboard [Logitech USB Receiver] on usb-0000:00:12.0-3/input0
[    3.110371] input: Logitech USB Receiver as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:12.0/usb4/4-3/4-3:1.1/input/input3
[    3.110603] generic-usb 0003:046D:C52B.0002: input,hiddev0,hidraw1: USB HID v1.11 Mouse [Logitech USB Receiver] on usb-0000:00:12.0-3/input1
[    3.119252] generic-usb 0003:046D:C52B.0003: hiddev0,hidraw2: USB HID v1.11 Device [Logitech USB Receiver] on usb-0000:00:12.0-3/input2
[    3.348040] usb 4-4: new full speed USB device number 3 using ohci_hcd
[    3.502142] usb 4-4: New USB device found, idVendor=046d, idProduct=c52b
[    3.502144] usb 4-4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[    3.502146] usb 4-4: Product: USB Receiver
[    3.502147] usb 4-4: Manufacturer: Logitech
[    3.510259] input: Logitech USB Receiver as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:12.0/usb4/4-4/4-4:1.0/input/input4
[    3.510314] generic-usb 0003:046D:C52B.0004: input,hidraw3: USB HID v1.11 Keyboard [Logitech USB Receiver] on usb-0000:00:12.0-4/input0
[    3.515357] input: Logitech USB Receiver as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:12.0/usb4/4-4/4-4:1.1/input/input5
[    3.515444] generic-usb 0003:046D:C52B.0005: input,hiddev0,hidraw4: USB HID v1.11 Mouse [Logitech USB Receiver] on usb-0000:00:12.0-4/input1
[    3.524195] generic-usb 0003:046D:C52B.0006: hiddev0,hidraw5: USB HID v1.11 Device [Logitech USB Receiver] on usb-0000:00:12.0-4/input2

Any suggestions?

EDIT: there dont seem to be any rule definitions for USB mice in /etc/udev/rules

EDIT 2: After upgrading xorg to 1.11 and then running 'emerge @x11-modules-rebuild, I have a mouse again!
|Quantum|
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Solution in sight? A little tale! Reply with quote

Hello,

The XFCE4-Config Howto (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xfce-config.xml) states:

Quote:
Note: If you have ConsoleKit installed, your ~/.xinitrc should instead contain exec ck-launch-session startxfce4. Otherwise, some of your applications may stop working. You'll also need to add consolekit to the default runlevel by running the following command as root: rc-update add consolekit default.

In accordance with some posts, I took the liberty of changing that to:

Code:
exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --exit-with-session --sh-syntax startxfce4

without any effect whatsoever.

I just found out that the call to startxfce4 was the source of all my problems.

After changing the line to:

Code:
exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --exit-with-session --sh-syntax xfce4-session

everything works: shutdown, restart, hibernate, ... I can also mount pretty much everything there is to mount on my computer...
WITHOUT udiskie being loaded.

This of course starts one to wonder if the default XFCE4 config is not faulty.

Code:

$ set | grep XDG

XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/etc/xdg
XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/local/share:/usr/share
XDG_SESSION_COOKIE=5cd1fdd6febbc3adaa77dc4b0000001b-1317548140.563772-99701919

startxfce4 would then, of course, load the entire configuration from /etc/xdg, pretty much bypassing all the efforts laid out in this thread.

So I decided to change my $HOME/.xinitrc back to —yes!—:

Code:

export GTK_IM_MODULE=xim
export QT_IM_MODULE=xim

startxfce4

but the section in /etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc which calls xfce4-session to:

Code:
# Run xfce4-session if installed
if which xfce4-session >/dev/null 2>&1; then
     exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --exit-with-session --sh-syntax xfce4-session
#    ck-launch-session dbus-launch xfce4-session

if test "$ssh_agent_kill_cmd"; then
        echo "running '$ssh_agent_kill_cmd'"
        eval "$ssh_agent_kill_cmd"
    fi

exit 0
fi

This solved the problem entirely for me.

I hope this will help some people to save their last grey hairs.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Solution in sight? A little tale! Reply with quote

|Quantum| wrote:
but the section in /etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc which calls xfce4-session to:

Code:
# Run xfce4-session if installed
if which xfce4-session >/dev/null 2>&1; then
#    ck-launch-session dbus-launch xfce4-session

if test "$ssh_agent_kill_cmd"; then
        echo "running '$ssh_agent_kill_cmd'"
        eval "$ssh_agent_kill_cmd"
    fi

exit 0
fi

This solved the problem entirely for me.

I hope this will help some people to save their last grey hairs.
Maybe you should put up a bug report in b.g.o
Secondly, you should remove exec from your line there, otherwise the statements after it won't be executed.
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: no functional/active at X login usb mouse/keyboard Reply with quote

Drasica wrote:
EDIT 2: After upgrading xorg to 1.11 and then running 'emerge @x11-modules-rebuild, I have a mouse again!

This is really good news! I have the same issue for some time now but I cannot remember if I got it when switching to a hal free system. The thing is I was and still using gdm login greeter precisely because of this issue even if I'd like to get rid of a few 100 gnome related dependencies! With gdm login greeter, the [usb] mouse remains functional and after selecting a user in the user list, the keyboard become active again! This explains why I did not bother to solve this issue when I first faced it--as long as gdm was around I could get back an active [usb] keyboard after selecting a user and then switch to a terminal or log into an DE.

However, I'm still using nvidia-drivers-275.09.07 which require <x11-base/xorg-server-1.10.99 and caused a real headache to upgrade from 270.41.09... and I won't describe the roll back with 275.21 which is not in portage tree anymore. Well, I'm seeing that 275.28 require x11-base/xorg-server-1.11.99 so I'll see if can get something usable with it because I'll skip the 280.x and 285.x for now.

Thanks for posting this!

EDIT: There's noway I'm gonna update xorg-server as this bug #375615 affects any >=nvidia-drivers-275.19 is still opened.
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject: no functional/active at X login usb mouse/keyboard solved Reply with quote

Issue solved with one or two option for mouse/keyboard (see topic 896532) hopefully for me because there's no go for 275.28, that thing is unstable or opengl USE flag shall be unset for gnome users.
Aquous
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I just did some major partition restructuring, which involved deleting my Gentoo partition and restoring it from a stage 4 tarball.

All went well, however when I try to log in, I recieve this message from kdm:
Quote:
Warning: cannot open ConsoleKit session: Unable to open session: Failed to execute program /usr/libexec/dbus-daemon-launch-helper: Success

The system appears to work fine otherwise but the message is annoying. What can I do to get rid of it?

Note: I excluded /tmp and /var/tmp from my stage 4 backup, in case that matters.

Thanks for any help :)
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aquous wrote:
Hello,

I just did some major partition restructuring, which involved deleting my Gentoo partition and restoring it from a stage 4 tarball.

All went well, however when I try to log in, I recieve this message from kdm:
Quote:
Warning: cannot open ConsoleKit session: Unable to open session: Failed to execute program /usr/libexec/dbus-daemon-launch-helper: Success

The system appears to work fine otherwise but the message is annoying. What can I do to get rid of it?

Note: I excluded /tmp and /var/tmp from my stage 4 backup, in case that matters.

Thanks for any help :)

I've seen this error before and we have never been able to track the reason down, or even reproduce it.

Here: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=356877

Instead of that chmod in the bug, I would suggest something like "emerge -eva glib dbus dbus-glib"

I know, it sucks.
Aquous
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge -e wasn't necessary, emerging just those 3 packages fixed it already :D :D :D

Thanks!
destroyedlolo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm facing the infamous "Not authorized" message when I'm trying to mound an USB drive.

I'm using OpenBox, PCManFM and Slim.

Reading this long thread, I've put :
  • In my ~/.xinitrc :
    Code:
    exec --sh-syntax --exit-with-session openbox-session

• In /etc/slim.conf
    Code:
    login_cmd       exec /usr/bin/ck-launch-session /usr/bin/dbus-launch /bin/bash -login /usr/share/slim/Xsession %session

I've tried also to launch dbus-launch in ~/.xinitrc : same result.

Now, if I change my ~/.xinitrc as
Code:
exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session openbox-session
, I obviously have the same problem when using Slim but I don't have any problem at all while using startx.

So, any idea ?

[Edit]
I should have missed something but I did a new installation for another machine, following point by point 1st thread and it's working very fine for me.
Lxde + openbox + pcmanfm + slim
[/Edit]

Last edited by destroyedlolo on Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
mack1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just updated Slim to version 1.3.2-r6 and i found in the log file:

Quote:

The configuration file is located at /etc/slim.conf.

If you wish slim to start automatically, set DISPLAYMANAGER="slim"
in /etc/conf.d/xdm and run "rc-update add xdm default".
By default, slim now does proper X session selection, including ~/.xsession
support, as well as selection between sessions available in
/etc/X11/Sessions/ at login by pressing [F1].

The XSESSION environment variable is still supported as a default
if no session has been specified by the user.

If you want to use .xinitrc in the user's home directory for session
management instead, see README and xinitrc.sample in
share/doc/slim-1.3.2-r6 and change your login_cmd in /etc/slim.conf
accordingly.

WARN: postinst
Please note that the slim session start script now supports consolekit
directly, via xinitrc.d scripts. Please remove any existing work-arounds to
avoid multiple calls to ck-launch-session.

You should also remove the 'nox11' flag from the pam_ck_connector.so module
in /etc/pam.d/system-login if you have not already done so.
(this is safe, it will be default in the next version of pambase)

I can confirm that... i have Lxde,Xfce and E17 and Slim works fine without work-arounds!

Cheers
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

destroyedlolo wrote:
Hi,

I'm facing the infamous "Not authorized" message when I'm trying to mound an USB drive.

I'm using OpenBox, PCManFM and Slim.

Reading this long thread, I've put :
  • In my ~/.xinitrc :
    Code:
    exec --sh-syntax --exit-with-session openbox-session

• In /etc/slim.conf
    Code:
    login_cmd       exec /usr/bin/ck-launch-session /usr/bin/dbus-launch /bin/bash -login /usr/share/slim/Xsession %session

I've tried also to launch dbus-launch in ~/.xinitrc : same result.

Now, if I change my ~/.xinitrc as
Code:
exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session openbox-session
, I obviously have the same problem when using Slim but I don't have any problem at all while using startx.

So, any idea ?

Bye

Laurent
*kit is all a big mess. For me, I had active sessions in ck-list-sessions and still I couldn't mount anything, and got the "Not authorized" message.

I had to go to /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.udisks.policy and change the following block to code to say "yes".
Code:
  <action id="org.freedesktop.udisks.filesystem-mount">
    <description>Mount a device</description>
    <description xml:lang="da">Montér en enhed</description>
    <message>Authentication is required to mount the device</message>
    <message xml:lang="da">Autorisering er påkrævet for at montere et fil system</message>
    <defaults>
      <allow_any>yes</allow_any>
      <allow_inactive>yes</allow_inactive>
      <allow_active>yes</allow_active>
    </defaults>
  </action>
Copying this file to /etc/polkit-1/actions and modifying these strings doesn't help. So, to prevent it from being overwritten the next time polkit is updated, add the directory /usr/share/polkit-1/actions to CONFIG_PROTECT in make.conf.
Boczkowski_D
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also experience restart and shutdown problems. Those icons in logout window are inactive. USB automount does not work as well. I went this thread (and few more) forth and back - without any luck.
I use Xfce-4.8, Slim, ck-list-sessions gives me three sessions where only second is active.
Additionally:

Code:

panda darek # xfce4-power-manager --dump

xfce4-power-manager-ERROR **: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.:

aborting...
Aborted

How should I debug this problems?
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: How some of you start an e17 session? Reply with quote

Well I was aware of this topic for some time because I get rid of hal early this year. Up untill now, I had virtually nothing more to do but add a polkit rule to be able to mount removable media with pcmanfm, no auto mount here, nothing realy.

And then came the time I wanted to get rid of gnome-2.3x in favor of a pair of e14/openbox environment. That's where the trouble started.

Lets state the issue at hand in a few words... or rather ask a handfull question: how some of you manage to get a "valid" session with e17? No need for additional info for openbox because this thread is full of lxde|xcfe|openbox posts.

Actually, for various issues, I kept around this:
Quote:
gnome-base/gdm
gnome-extra/gnome-color-chooser
gnome-extra/gnome-color-manager
gnome-base/gnome-control-center
gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon

and still keeping the following untill, maybe, I found better/gnome independent alternative:
Quote:
app-editors/gedit
app-cdr/brasero
app-text/evince
gnome-base/gvfs
mail-client/evolution
gnome-extra/polkit-gnome

that kept half ( a hundred of package) of gnome dependencies.

So I could get a valid session without extra effort untill I decided to remove of them because I have no use of them for months.

I'm using ecomorph to get a bit of eye candy with e17. And the script enlightenment_start.sh has almost nothing before the executing enlightenent_start but ecomp.sh that deals mainly with hardware.

Actually I've noticed the 'null' session when trying to mount a removable media with pcmanfm and got the infamous 'Not authorized' because e17 seemed to work fine. And I'm using startx with a ~/.xinitrc file to start a seesion, I'l see later if I can get something out of slim. So to get a valid session something like:
Code:
/usr/libexec/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1 &
#some more stuff
#exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session enlightenment_start
exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session enlightenment_start.sh

to get something working. The first line is necessary to be able to mount anything with pcmanfm as stated numerous times in this topic--a polkit rule seems optional here.

The weird stuff, there's always one weird...., is that I cannot switch anymore X -> console -> X. I'm getting a somewhat locked e17. The mouse is confined to a single virtual desktop. The keyboard seems functional because I can switch back to console and back again. But I cannot type anything in a opened terminal nor display e17 menu et. all. Everything was functional untill I removed gdm login manager: that's mean yesterday!

EDIT: I'm using nouveau for now after a few days, I did not roll back nvidia "almighty blob" if that's matter. And, this may matter because I can switch X <-> console with my laptop with radeon kernel module (i915 is not working for some obscure reasons/updates, and it was working even with ecomorph) (using the same stage4).

Last edited by tclover on Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
tclover
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boczkowski_D wrote:
How should I debug this problems?

Re-read the related xfce posts because the topic is full that issue?
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Scanner attached to windows box from linux? Reply with quote

<removed>

I can't guess how, but it seems I posted this accidentally here. It didn't belong in this thread. Sorry.

Last edited by i92guboj on Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
chrisstankevitz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is consolekit? What is policykit? What is sessions? What is ck-launch-session? What is dbus? What is hal? How come things like "shut down" don't work from gnome? How come when I try to figure it out in the gentoo forums every message looks like this:
- must be a bug in policykit
- your sessions aren't correct
- did you try adding [some random cruft] to your [some important file]?
- You need to use GDM/slim for this to work
- maybe you should try [some other random crap]
- try reading [some random thread]

Does anybody out there even know what the heck is going on?

Does everyone out there get their system running by just trying random crap until it works?

Is there a single document that describes what all this console/policy/session stuff is, why I need it, and how to properly set it up?

Arggggg!
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisstankevitz wrote:

Does anybody out there even know what the heck is going on?

We got what we asked for.
We got more Linux users and programmers.
Some of them hail from a Windows background.
They do what's familiar.
They're turning Linux into Windows.

(I'm not sure if that's a joke, or not. There is no known emoticon to express it.)
chrisstankevitz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a serious question:

What is the approach you take to get GNOME to allow a regular user to shutdown the system:

Option 1:
while (problem_exists())
{
try_some_random_crap_from_the_forum();
}

Option 2:
read the source code and figure it out yourself

Option 3:
Go without GNOME shutdown and just be happy you have anything

Option 4:
Go buy a book on consolekit/udev/policykit/hal/hotplug/etc

Option 5
[your idea here]

Thank you,

Chris

PS: I'd like to avoid Option 1 as I feel uncomfortable doing random crap to my system (e.g. Joe Smith says "try changing your .xinitrc -- that worked for my uncle maybe it will work for you!")
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, to give you the really simple, concise answer...

All of these things are ways to grant the console user of a system extra privileges in order to access console-related hardware or administer the system.

A slight elaboration, by "access console-related hardware" I mean get exclusive access to the GPU or sound card, or mount a removable drive. (flash, optical, etc) These are all extra privilege situations, and part of the reason for the *kit/HAL stuff is to get you there without the blanket privileges given by setuid bits. It's also a recognition that physical access is itself a privilege, and probably deserves extra rights, yet it attempts to retain some safety, especially for remote exploits.

[quote="chrisstankevitz"]This is a serious question:
Option 5
[your idea here]

I share your frustration, I responded with the snark that I feel, not so much about the way things are put together, but the way they are documented.

There are 3 levels of documentation:
1 - Just Works (TM) No need to look under the covers, folks.
2 - Start with the official documentation, which seems syntactically decent, but doesn't appear to say much about semantics. I guess as you say with your Option 2, UTSL.
3 - The stuff that makes all of that stuff work appears to be "magic strings." Usually if you ask in the right place, and frequently that means here in the forums, someone will pop up with the answer. With 20-20 hindsight the answer they give you will appear logically correct, almost "obvious" - there's just no way you could have gotten to it if you hadn't known it.

What's missing is the "in-between" documentation, like I used to use when crafting my own xf86config files. I suspect that's what you want, too. There's only "idiot" and "expert" documentation, and little to nothing in between.

Gentoo really is one of the better places to ask questions like this, probably Arch forums would be good, too. Both are pretty far from Just Works (TM) distributions. This was rather a vague question, and I hope I gave you a better answer. When trying to find the "magic strings" I talk about above, you have to ask much more specific questions.
chrisstankevitz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

depontius,

Thank you for your reply. Your explanation about elevated permissions for the console user made sense to me. I'm also happy to hear that someone shares my frustration. I just installed Gentoo two days ago and I am eager to set it up "right" and not fill it with the cruft of a thousand mediocre ideas that just didn't pan out.

I gather from your reply that I should rely on the forums and the collective experience of the users -- but I should be more inclined to ask questions and less inclined to read dozens of orthogonal "solutions" to whatever problem I seem to be having.

In my career I've seen users who don't really know what they are doing making changes based on an incorrect understanding of the system. I've seen users not taking advantage of the new features or efficiencies I've introduced... and I've seen users using obsolete or broken features without knowing they should be avoided -- allthewhile teaching one another to do more of the same. In these cases the problem was, as you noted, documentation. I don't want to be one of those users for Gentoo -- and I'm scared because my only resource is a bunch of other users who might be doing it wrong -- scary!

Anywho, I'll stay "logged into" the forums here and look forward to asking lots of questions here.

Chris
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisstankevitz wrote:
This is a serious question:

Option 5
[your idea here]

Option 5
Read the portage output (and don't use obsolete display managers like SLIM)

When you emerge consolekit, it will print a warning if CONFIG_AUDITSYSCALL=y is missing
When you emerge udisks, it will print a warning if CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND=y is missing or CONFIG_IDE=y mistakenly set
When you emerge glib, it will print a warning that dbus-glib might need a rebuild
... and there are more, to cover each case

Then you simply emerge gdm, kdm, or lightdm. Any modern display manager with built-in ConsoleKit support. Or use startx and read the Gentoo documentation for your desktop, such as http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xfce-config.xml#doc_chap3 clearly documenting ck-launch-session.

Everything will just work(tm)

So in fact this thread is merely duplicating the existing information and I've therefore asked this thread to be unstickied as unnecessary. Since people don't even bother to read the first post of this thread, and use this as ranting thread. Sorry but I'm tired of it.
chrisstankevitz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssuominen wrote:
So in fact this thread is merely duplicating the existing information and I've therefore asked this thread to be unstickied as unnecessary. Since people don't even bother to read the first post of this thread, and use this as ranting thread. Sorry but I'm tired of it.

First, thank you for putting this guide together and having the patience to reply to 13 pages of comments.

The issue is this: this thread has 13 pages of people saying they are having problems. From that perspective, this thread is no different than any of the other threads. Why should someone believe this thread when they are fed "lies" on every other thread? Perhaps as I get acquainted with the players in the forum, I will know who to trust and who to ignore.

I will follow these instructions, thank you for putting them together. Better than unsticking the thread, I would recommend you do one or more of the following:

1. Place this "Just Works (TM)" content out of the forum and instead put it into the Gentoo Handbook
2. Remove the ability for people to reply to this thread. If it "Just Works (TM)" there is no need for replies
3. Place your quoted comment re "All the info is provided by emerge" in the original post to reinforce that people can make it "Just Work (TM)" by simply reading the emerge output.

Thank you again,

Chris
chrisstankevitz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisstankevitz wrote:
I will follow these instructions, thank you for putting them together

ssuominen,

This worked for me, TY. I launch gnome with startx and needed to place this into my .xinitrc:
Code:
exec ck-launch-session gnome-session

I clearly missed the "emerge notification" telling me that I needed to do this.

Thanks again,

Chris
destroyedlolo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ssuominen,

First of all, THANKS YOU VERY MUCH for this thread.

ssuominen wrote:
So in fact this thread is merely duplicating the existing information and I've therefore asked this thread to be unstickied as unnecessary

It's not so unnecessary : I know it's a duplication of existing documentation, but it's also a wonderful todo list ... and it makes my systems working.

My own path to Gentoo was to looking for a flexible and powerfull distrib for some of my very old 486 laptop (to build a domotic project). I tried a dozen of different linux (Siltaz, DSL, TinyCoreLinux, Lubuntu, ...) and when you are doing a PoC, you will not read zillion of documentation for each of them.

I finally choose Gentoo because I liked the philosophy that allow a really fine tuned environment (the opposite of Ubuntu for example).
But the worst point is a documentation explaining how from an empty disk you'll got a fully workable environment. There is a fast how-to for the system core, but not for X ... until your thread.

After the PoC concluded (and Gentoo choose in my case), ok the read all the docs.

ssuominen wrote:
Read the portage output (and don't use obsolete display managers like SLIM)

??? What is the problem with SLIM ?
First of all, it still part of some white paper on this site (don't remember which one, but it's related to openbox or Lxde. And secondly, it's working fine as per my own installation.

Thanks for reading.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 13 of 16

Jump to: