View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luispa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: WORKAROUND - Nvidia 260.19.29 + Xorg-Server 1.9.2 Crash X11 Reply with quote

Hi, after it became stable I upgrade both nvidia and xorg-server
Code:
Before: nvidia-drivers-195.36.31 & xorg-server-1.7.7-r1.
After: nvidia-drivers 260.19.29 & xorg-server 1.9.2.

The problem I've detected is specifically unfortunate with VMWare Workstation 7.1.3: After booting the VM (Win7), and after aprox. 1 min, the whole X11 crashes. Has to do with the upgrade, as before it didn't happened. Also seen same problem with other application, but very difficult to reproduce.

1) Tried going back to nvidia-drivers 195.36.31.
RESULT: BAD. Found collateral problems like nvidia-settings not compiling, Keyboard/Mouse stopped working.

2) Tried 260.19.29 but this time removing optimizations
Code:
# MAKEOPTS= EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS= emerge -v nvidia-drivers nvidia-settings

RESULT: BAD. Same problem

3) Removed completely Compiz.
RESULT: BAD. Same problem

4) *NEW*: SOLVED by going back to xorg-server 1.7.7-r1
RESULT: GOOD. VMWare keeps running, no X11 crash.

Code:
- Masked xorg-server-1.9.2
- Emerge xorg-server
 # emerge xorg-server
     Mon Jan 10 17:42:45 2011 >>> x11-apps/xinit-1.2.0-r4
     Mon Jan 10 17:44:36 2011 >>> x11-base/xorg-server-1.7.7-r1
- Re-emerge input:
 # emerge xf86-input-evdev
     Mon Jan 10 17:57:38 2011 >>> x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev-2.5.0

Note: I've renamed the Thread to be more accurate, original Subject was: Nvidia 260.19.29 + Xorg 1.9.2 + VMWare Workstation 7

Thanks
Luis

Last edited by luispa on Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
luispa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marking it as WORKAROUND,

Please share if you hit this one and find a solution.

Thanks
Luis
michaelhallquist
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: ATI 6.14.0/Nvidia 260.19.29 + Xorg-Server 1.9.2 Crash X11 Reply with quote

Hi Luis,

I have virtually the same problem, but with the ATI drivers. I have a Radeon HD 2400 XT (rv610 board). I was also running xorg-server 1.7.7 happily and when I upgraded to xorg-server 1.9.2 in late January, the same issue occurred: a couple of minutes after VMWare Workstation 7.1.3 (Win 7 guest) started, all of X11 crashed. I wasn't able to find any evidence of a backtrace in my Xorg, gdm, or messages log files. Just this error showed up when gdm restarted moments later:

Feb 17 09:02:35 macgyver polkitd(authority=local): Unregistered Authentication Agent for session /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Session5 (system bus name :1.33, object path /org/gnome/PolicyKit1/AuthenticationAgent, locale en_US.UTF-8) (disconnected from bus)
Feb 17 09:02:36 macgyver kernel: [drm:drm_mode_getfb] *ERROR* invalid framebuffer id

Relevant packages under the failing installation include:

x11-drivers/radeon-ucode-20110106
x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev-2.6.0
x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati-6.14.0
x11-base/xorg-drivers-1.9
x11-base/xorg-server-1.9.4
media-libs/mesa-7.9.1

I came across this Gentoo bug concerning gallium vs. classic drivers:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=350280

But setting my r300 or r600 driver to gallium or classic has no effect. As you described, Luis, the X11 crash also occurs independent of VMWare, but much more sporadically (e.g., once per hour, as opposed to within a few minutes of starting VMWare). My sense was that Firefox might have increased the likelihood of crash, but that might just be superstitious.

My workaround is the same as yours: I downgraded to xorg-server-1.8.2 (or 1.7.7, which continues to work, but I wanted to do away with HAL on my system). Everything works properly with xorg-server-1.8.2 (and xorg-drivers-1.8). No other package downgrades are necessary (e.g., mesa or the ati drivers).

Does anyone have suggestions about how to debug this problem? I haven't succeeded in getting backtraces or core dumps from X even after enabling splitdebug in make.conf.

Thanks,
Michael
bpkent
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: ATI 6.14.0/Nvidia 260.19.29 + Xorg-Server 1.9.2 Crash X1 Reply with quote

michaelhallquist wrote:
Hi Luis,

I have virtually the same problem, but with the ATI drivers. I have a Radeon HD 2400 XT (rv610 board). I was also running xorg-server 1.7.7 happily and when I upgraded to xorg-server 1.9.2 in late January, the same issue occurred: a couple of minutes after VMWare Workstation 7.1.3 (Win 7 guest) started, all of X11 crashed. I wasn't able to find any evidence of a backtrace in my Xorg, gdm, or messages log files. Just this error showed up when gdm restarted moments later:

Feb 17 09:02:35 macgyver polkitd(authority=local): Unregistered Authentication Agent for session /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Session5 (system bus name :1.33, object path /org/gnome/PolicyKit1/AuthenticationAgent, locale en_US.UTF-8) (disconnected from bus)
Feb 17 09:02:36 macgyver kernel: [drm:drm_mode_getfb] *ERROR* invalid framebuffer id

Relevant packages under the failing installation include:

x11-drivers/radeon-ucode-20110106
x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati-6.14.0
x11-base/xorg-drivers-1.9
x11-base/xorg-server-1.9.4
media-libs/mesa-7.9.1

I came across this Gentoo bug concerning gallium vs. classic drivers:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=350280

But setting my r300 or r600 driver to gallium or classic has no effect. As you described, Luis, the X11 crash also occurs independent of VMWare, but much more sporadically (e.g., once per hour, as opposed to within a few minutes of starting VMWare). My sense was that Firefox might have increased the likelihood of crash, but that might just be superstitious.

My workaround is the same as yours: I downgraded to xorg-server-1.8.2 (or 1.7.7, which continues to work, but I wanted to do away with HAL on my system). Everything works properly with xorg-server-1.8.2 (and xorg-drivers-1.8). No other package downgrades are necessary (e.g., mesa or the ati drivers).

Does anyone have suggestions about how to debug this problem? I haven't succeeded in getting backtraces or core dumps from X even after enabling splitdebug in make.conf.

Thanks,
Michael

Interesting, I have machine with an ATI 5750 and another with an ATI 3870, the first with a manual install of Workstation 7.1.3, the second via an overlay. I don't get X11 crashes in either though I do have issues with VMware. My workaround is to launch vmware via an ssh -X session. The framebuffer error is interesting as I thought there was an issue with VMware and :0 (for more details see discussion with DaggyStyle here). I wonder if my use of KDE is protecting me from an X11 crash ...
luispa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks "michaelhallquist" for detecting exactly the same with ATI, so looks like not a driver problem.

Today I upgrade serveral packages and didn't realized xorg-server got upgraded up to x11-base/xorg-server-1.9.4 (had masked 1.9.2), so the problem appeared again. This time is even before than expected. After login in, two minutes later, whole X crash by itself.

My problem is that xorg-server 1.7.7 is masked, so can't go back, have to stay at 1.9.x. And it's unusable...

Code:
/usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
# Tomáš Chvátal <scarabeus@gentoo.org> (15 Feb 2011)
# Dropping support for 1.7 xorg-server series.
# Please upgrade to xorg-server-1.9.
# These ebuilds will be removed in 30 days.

What I'm seeing in the log, with Gnome:
Code:
Mar 06 19:21:15 [gnome-keyring-daemon] dbus failure unregistering from session: Connection is closed
Mar 06 19:21:15 [gdm] WARNING: gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: ha ocurrido un error fatal de X - Reiniciando :0_
Mar 06 19:21:15 [gdm] pam_unix(gdm:session): session closed for user luis

With KDE:
Code:

Mar 06 19:33:45 [kdm] X server for display :0 terminated unexpectedly

Anyone has an idea? It's incredible, can't do much here?. I'll rebuild the whole system just to try, but any idea will help. I'll report back tomorrow (~15hours compiling :-)).

Thanks,
Luis
chris...
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im having periodic pausing with nvidia260 and xorg1.9
It gets very annoying at times

Using an older nvidia driver makes it more user friendly
luispa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I've been able to solve it finally. Don't know where the problem was, though by doing the following two things now X doesn't crash eventually, at least it's been working for 6 hours without problems.

Now, for your infomration, I've tried multiple things without any succeed, just for your information:
- Recompiled the whole system world
- Tried Gnome KDE
- Tried Nvidia and Nouveau
- Tried compiz / no-compiz in all kind of combinations with above
None of the above solved the problem

What I did:

1) First I'm using this new file with xorg-server 1.9.x, I'm not sure if it has anything to do, anyway, was one of my changes.
Code:
 # cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-keyboard.conf
Section "InputClass"
        Identifier      "keyboard-all"
        Driver          "evdev"
        Option          "XkbRules"  "xorg"
        Option          "XkbModel"  "pc105"
        Option          "XkbLayout" "es"

MatchIsKeyboard "on"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier      "evdev pointer catchall"
        Driver          "evdev"
        MatchIsPointer  "on"
        MatchDevicePath "/dev/ipput/evdev*"
EndSection

2) I've exited X, removed the $HOME/.config directory, restart X. This one looks like more a candidate. Now I have to re-configure several things but obviously it's worth as the rare problem is gone.

Code:
$ mv .config .config.PROBLEM
(Exit X and restart X)
michaelhallquist
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Luis,

I'm frustrated to say that the fixes that worked on your machine had no effect on mine (xorg-server 1.9.4)! I applied the changes you suggested separately: evdev for keyboard, evdev for mouse, mv $HOME/.config directory. No single change fixed the problem. I then applied the changes sequentially, culiminating in all three being present at once. Unfortunately, the X server crashed as usual in VMWare (and elsewhere if I wait long enough). I also tried tweaking the system evdev config file: /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf. This seemed to contain redundant evdev trapping for keyboard and mouse relative to the keyboard config file you mentioned. Also, in your config file, you had used /dev/ipput/evdev* as the match for mouse, but at least on my machine, it is /dev/input/event*.

The fact that your fixes seem to depend on evdev is interesting... perhaps it's not a video problem, but has to do with the keyboard/mouse devices. Would you mind posting the Xorg.log from your working configuration so that I can see if your machine is handling things differently? Also, is there any chance one of the other things you tried along the way is necessary for this fix to work?

Thanks,
Michael
luispa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, this is my xorg.conf

Code:

Section "Module"       
        Disable  "dri"
        Disable  "dri2"
EndSection

Section "Files"
        ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
        ModulePath "/usr/lib64/opengl/xorg-x11/extensions/"
EndSection

# Configuracion del Servidor
Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "X.org"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0       
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier  "Prolite E2607WS"
        VendorName  "iiyama"
        HorizSync   31.5 - 80.5
        VertRefresh 60 - 100
        Option      "DPMS"
        DisplaySize 375 303
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Nvidia0"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
        BoardName   "GeForce 9800 GTX+"
        Option      "NvAGP" "1"
        Option      "CursorShadow" "true"
        Option      "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "true"
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
        Option      "Composite"   "enable"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Nvidia0"
        Monitor    "Prolite E2607WS"
        DefaultDepth    24
        Option         "TwinView" "0"
        Option         "metamodes" "DFP: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     24
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Also a copy of the file: /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf
Code:

#                                                                                                                                                 
# Catch-all evdev loader for udev-based systems                                                                                                   
# We don't simply match on any device since that also adds accelerometers                                                                         
# and other devices that we don't really want to use. The list below                                                                               
# matches everything but joysticks.                                                                                                               

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "evdev pointer catchall"
        MatchIsPointer "on"
        MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
        Driver "evdev"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "evdev keyboard catchall"
        MatchIsKeyboard "on"
        Driver "evdev"
        Option "xkb_layout" "es"                            <==== I Just added this line to support spanish keyboard
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "evdev touchpad catchall"
        MatchIsTouchpad "on"
        Driver "evdev"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "evdev tablet catchall"
        MatchIsTablet "on"
        Driver "evdev"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "evdev touchscreen catchall"
        MatchIsTouchscreen "on"
        Driver "evdev"
EndSection

I have the following versions:

xorg-server 1.9.4
nvidia-drivers 260.19.36

I can "confirm" that the problem was related to the ".config" directory. A friend of mine had exactly the same problem and he just moved away the .config.
Code:
 $ mv $HOME/.config $HOME/.config.old
 And then restarted X

I had VMWare 7.1.3 with kernel 2.6.36-gentoo-r5, so I had to apply a patch to vmmon, described here:
Code:
 Download: http://www.linuxinsight.com/files/vmmon-2.6.36.patch
 Copy to /usr/lib64/vmware/modules/source

cd /usr/lib64/vmware/modules/source
 cp -a vmmon.tar vmmon-orig.tar
 tar xf vmmon.tar
 cd vmmon-only/linux
 patch -p0 < ../../vsock-2-6-36.patch
 cd ../..
 tar cf vmmon.tar vmmon-only
 rm -rf vmmon-only

Now 'm downloading VMWare Workstation 7.1.4, will reinstall the kernel drivers and try with it (hopefully the kernel is supported) and will leave it whole night running, I'll report tomorrow, hopefully it will work.

Luis
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't think your title is more accurate like that: using vmware is the main problem i saw here, and now your title suggest xorg 1.9.2 doesn't work with nvidia-drivers-260.19.29
luispa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input, however my main original problem was a X crash and so I renamed the thread.

The problem is not due to VMWare, but xorg-server 1.9, being the main root cause still something unknown, but very well identified under one or more of the files under $HOME/.config.

VMWare Workstation is an application that was accelerating the crash of xorg, but no the root cause and so I got confused. After researching I was able to reproduce the crash very easely without even starting VMWare.

Notice, though, that we may have hitted two different problems, as "michaelhallquist" seems to keep crashing on VMWare, and doesn't seem to crash X when vmware is not running, or at least that's what I understood.

luis
michaelhallquist
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Fixed on my machine, too Reply with quote

Hi Luis,

I'm happy to report that my problem with Vmware workstation (and other applications like Firefox) crashing X is finally resolved! I believe the problems on both of our machines were identical. X (xorg-server 1.9 or higher) would crash with little evidence in the log file particularly when Vmware was running, but this also occurred for other X apps. The problem was much more prevalent with Vmware. I was able to trace the issue specifically to the xorg-server package. Simply downgrading from xorg-server 1.9 to xorg-server 1.8.2 stopped the problem from occurring. But because 1.8.2 has been deprecated and removed from the Gentoo tree, I had to download the ebuilds from the Gentoo archives and use a local overlay (plus masking 1.9 packages) to get this working. (not optimal)

As for how I fixed the problem, it's somewhat difficult to say given the number of changes. Deleting the $HOME/.config file alone was insufficient to correct my problem. Here are the steps I performed that jointly seem to have corrected the issue (although I remain uncertain which step is critical).

1) Upgraded my kernel to 2.6.38-r4 with kernel modesetting (KMS), radeon r600 firmware blobs compiled into the kernel, and with X direct rendering manager (DRM) turned on.
2) Removed my old $HOME/.config directory
3) Installed Vmware workstation 7.1.4 (vmware-modules are version 238.4)
4) Upgraded to xorg-server-1.9.5
5) X11 driver packages are:
x11-drivers/radeon-ucode-20110302
x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati-6.14.1

The combination of these changes has fixed the crashing issue. X, Vmware workstation, and other previously problematic applications including Firefox have been running for 72 hours with no crashes!

Anyway, thanks for your leads, Luis. And I'm glad we've both resolved this issue!

Best,
Michael
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: