cant connect to network
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Metronome
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: cant connect to network Reply with quote

Good day. I got a fresh gentoo install and cant get network to function. During installation I skipped the emerge dhcpcd step as it was marked as optional and I thought I would get back to it once the actuall system is installed but now it is problematic because when trying to emerge I get
wget: unable to resolve host address 'roy.marples.name'
so how do I work around this? What I dont get is that connecting to network seemed to be automatic when I logged in from install cd and now it's gone which is a pitty.
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connecting to the network is automatic on the install CD because the install CD is not meant to be very useful without a network, so the network is set up as a courtesy because anyone using the install CD for its intended purpose will need networking. On the other hand, an installed Gentoo system may not need networking, or may need it in an unusual form.

If you have a valid IP address, but no name resolution, you can try manually configuring /etc/resolv.conf with a nameserver. You could use a public one like 4.2.2.1 or 8.8.8.8, or pick a local one if you can find it. If you are behind a consumer level home router, it might have a DNS relay built in, in which case you could set your nameserver equal to your gateway. Be aware that some such devices have fairly poor relays, so you might want to find a better server long term.

If you do not have a valid IP address, or you cannot get the above to work, you can use the install CD in a rescue capacity. Boot it, skip partition editing, skip filesystem creation, and proceed directly to mounting the partitions and using chroot to re-enter the system. If you go this route, remember to copy the /etc/resolv.conf of the install CD into your chroot first.
Metronome
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it helped, thanks. Im a bit dizzy as to what chroot actually does and where is my "system" placed relative to the CD one. However luckally the file was simple enaugh to copy manually
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: