Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo doesn't set up route for newly added interface?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pfalcon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:38 am    Post subject: Gentoo doesn't set up route for newly added interface? Reply with quote

When I don't have any Gentoo config for bnep0, plus have notplugging disabled (RC_PLUG_SERVICES="!net.*"), I can do following the interface (once it's upped by bluez):

# ifconfig bnep0 192.168.30.1

Expactably, that also creates a route so I could access devices on this network:

# route -n
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
192.168.30.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 bnep0

However, when enabled hotplugging for bnep0, and set Gentoo config using:

config_bnep0=( "192.168.30.1" )

, I don't have such implied route created (IP is assigned of course), and really cannot use interface without further manual configuration.

After half an hour of googling, re-reading Gentoo network docs, and trial and error, I figured that additional

routes_bnep0=( "192.168.30.0/24" )

does the trick for me.

Hence the questions:

1. How it happens that Gentoo doesn't do what user expects from it - configure interface to the working state, like other well-known tools do?
2. How it happens that Gentoo network docs (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=4) not only don't mention requirement of explicit route config for static IPs, but don't describe routes_* config option at all (there're occurances in examples, nothing more).
3. How to do it better. I don't want to have extra config line, especially with dupped IP address. Is there a way to say something like

config_bnep0=( "192.168.30.1" "auto-route" )

Thanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: