Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Minecraft (ebuild to build deps from source!)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkyTanks
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:47 am    Post subject: Minecraft-Server Reply with quote

Seriously kudos for the ebuilds. But I do have one question about the minecraft-server tmux daemon.
After years of using screen, I'm having a little trouble with tmux as no matter where I look, I can't connect to the session.
I'm a little tired of running around for the answer, and could you tell me the exact command I should enter to reattach the session? :)
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The minecraft-server-console script does that for you. I didn't expect people to have to read about tmux.

WastingBody, I'll get back to you on that.
SkyTanks
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you much for the quick reply.

And by the way, never underestimate a Gentoo user's ability to overcomplicated things. :lol:
XQYZ
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chewi wrote:
Okay, I'll take your word for it and have committed that change. Please let me know immediately if it doesn't fix the problem or if anything else breaks.

Did not fix the problem completely for me. Seems to be less now though, but considering that I don't now exactly how to reproduce it, I can't make any certain statements. Generally though it used to be like 1-2/hour and now it happened twice since you patched it.
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XQYZ wrote:
Chewi wrote:
Okay, I'll take your word for it and have committed that change. Please let me know immediately if it doesn't fix the problem or if anything else breaks.

Did not fix the problem completely for me. Seems to be less now though, but considering that I don't now exactly how to reproduce it, I can't make any certain statements. Generally though it used to be like 1-2/hour and now it happened twice since you patched it.

Thanks for letting me know. Even if it hasn't really improved, it hasn't got any worse either so I'll keep the update.
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just warning you guys to say that the upcoming update with the new launcher will probably break things horribly. I'm not sure if they're going to deploy the launcher automatically somehow or force everybody to redownload. I'm also not sure whether the old launcher will still work for a time and whether it will even be feasible to disable the library installation as we have been doing so far.
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well whaddya know, the same hack still works with no modifications whatsoever! Brilliant! Even the "Force Update" option doesn't break it. The overlay has now been updated. :D
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, it's broken
Code:
100%[======================================>] 89,406       223K/s   in 0.4s   

2011-02-23 22:17:23 (223 KB/s) - `/var/cache/paludis/distfiles/minecraft-20110221.jar.-PARTIAL-' saved [89406/89406]

Checking 'minecraft-20110221.jar'... incorrect size
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, they updated it again already! Can't be helped. I would commit the change now but their authentication server is down again. I want to check it works first.

EDIT: At least there was a half-decent reason for the update. They had accidentally introduced some Java 1.6 dependencies, which is a problem for OS X users. This update removes them.
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, it works. Now committed.
d_logan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the new ebuild use the new launcher? I'm asking before I install because the new launcher is full of fail.
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does. They don't keep old versions around so I didn't have much choice. The new features seem a little pointless but I haven't had any trouble with it. What's the problem?
d_logan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It almost always fails to authenticate (new https they implemented), which is fine if you're just playing single player offline, but I host a small server and don't want to turn auth off and let jackasses grief me. I switched back to using the old launcher and it usually works, unless the site is down which it appears to be again today. Those guys should put their site on a Gentoo box :lol:
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had noticed that it almost always fails to authenticate but I thought they were just overloaded as usual, not because they'd switched to HTTPS. Hopefully they'll get their act together soon, they can't leave it like this.
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to see if replacing the string "https://login.minecraft.net/" inside LauncherFrame.class with http:// would work. Well it didn't NOT work but https:// is also working for me at the moment so I'm not entirely sure it made any difference. Even if that works, I'm not sure if I want to make the change. I'll see how it goes.
d_logan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got in and played for a few minutes, disconnected for lunch now it's down again. I'm not gonna pretend to understand how a million potential users trying to login can pound on a server, I've never had anything nearly that scale, but what's up w/ Amazon S3? Their super cloud based servers can't handle some minecraft auth? Sad.
Sawn
n00b
n00b

Location: Reims, France. Yeah...the country ruled by a ridiculous dwarf.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm trying to make my first ebuild based on yours except mine will setup a Minecraft-Bukkit server. :)

I will also manage wrappers/plugins via USE flags (for the mods I'm using) and make an initrd script to allow more functions like 'console' (server console access), 'stop'/'restart' (with ingame warning), 'backup' (with ingame warn too), 'update' (to update only the server jar file), 'reload-plugins' (to issue a 'reload into the server console), 'exec' (executing console command), etc. [If I can manage to ^^]

I have many ideas (but almost no skill :mrgreen: )

I'm not searching to follow Gentoo or GNU/Linux guidelines on this since it's for my personnal use but I'll "release" the ebuild if someone's interested.

I've just one very noobish question, is it possible to prevent the server jar file to install into "/usr/share/minecraft-bukkit-server/lib/" ?

Don't like this path, it'll be simplier for me to manage the web interface wrapper if the script was in /var/lib/${PN}/<server instance> like the other files.

Is there a clean way to do that ?

I looked at java-pkg-2 and games_pkg eclass but couldn't understood them :oops:

Thanks for any answer and for your ebuild :)
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean to put a dampener on this but I stopped doing any work involving Bukkit as soon as it became clear that there were big legal obstacles in the way. You're welcome to pursue this if you want but if free software means anything to you, I suggest you wait. They seem to be resolving the issue slowly but surely.

I did try to use the init script to provide console access instead of the "minecraft-server-console" command I came up with but a bug in OpenRC prevented this from working. It looks like this bug may now be fixed though. I guess those other commands could be useful in conjuction with a cron job. Then again, aren't there plugins that do that sort of thing on a timed basis already? Maybe not. I haven't actually used Bukkit yet so I'm not familiar with all the plugins that are available.

It is possible to install the JAR files elsewhere while still using java-pkg-2 but I wouldn't do it without good reason. Symlinks are your friend and Gentoo's Java stuff will set up the correct classpath for you if you use it properly.

The games eclass is quite straightforward, it mainly just wraps the regular functions to install stuff in /usr/games. The Java eclasses are very complicated and take some time to learn. My experience comes from having had commit access to java-overlay for years. Nevertheless, I highly recommend that you do use them otherwise you'll just end up in a mess.
Sawn
n00b
n00b

Location: Reims, France. Yeah...the country ruled by a ridiculous dwarf.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i'm aware of the licensing issues but the software is nice, i don't want to work on the vanilla server which is too limited for my use and with hMod dying there is no many other alternatives.

But I understand and respect your point of view :)

Did'nt know for the OpenRC bug... I'll see if I can achieve this or not :)

Yeah, I know there are current solutions to do backups and everything but none of them use rdiff-backup which is perfect for a Minecraft server in my opinion :)

Also, I prefer to manage backups with my own script.

You made your point for the jar path, I'll just use a symlink then :)

Thank you for the answers.

EDIT: Hum. Yeah, i've answered too fast. Free software means something to me and I didn't took enough time to read about this licensing issue (I though it was almost dealed with Mojang but, even if there seems to have a tolerance for Bukkit and even if Bukkit is contributing to Minecraft vanilla there is nothing official right now so i'll stick to the official server for the time being.
It'll give me the time to learn about ebuild writing :)

Thanks for pointed that out Chewi :)
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome. You've got a good attitude.

If you're wondering, the OpenRC bug was that whenever you invoked an init script as a non-root user, it would result in 100% CPU usage and never returned, even for a command that didn't require you to be root like describe.

I'm a big fan of rdiff-backup so that idea is cool. You're right, it's perfectly suited.
DarkMoon74
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand things correctly, this e-build needs baselayout 2? I'm on baselayout 1, and I'm getting:

jmoe@dream /etc/init.d $ sudo ./minecraft-server start
* Starting Minecraft server "main" ...
./minecraft-server: line 24: ewaitfile: command not found

From what I can tell, that function should be defined in /etc/init.d/functions.sh, but it's not. I assume that's because it needs BL2? Might want to put a dependency in for that, or do like some other initscripts do and detect that BL1 is in use, and warn that it needs BL2?
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that. I haven't use baselayout 1 for years. It feels so long ago, I was probably using the alpha versions of 2 back in 2007. I grepped the Portage tree to see what else uses ewaitfile and only dev-db/mysql-init-scripts came up. That's where I learnt about the command in the first place! It depends on OpenRC, which is what actually provides ewaitfile so that's what I've done.

Using ewaitfile is actually less than ideal. What I intend to do is wrap the server with Apache Daemons, which will allow it to be stopped safely, but I'm waiting to see what happens with Bukkit first.
lyallp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:05 am    Post subject: Minecraft server startup scripts for baselayout-1 Reply with quote

FYI: I have not dug into what the ebuild contains, but I thought I would share these - they are derivatives of http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=23122&start=150

It is very simple, it works for me.

In this situation, the actual Server JAR is located in /usr/local/bin, if you store it somewhere else, you will need to tweak the scripts.

Basically, I expect a user called 'games' to exist and that the world for the server is in /var/db/minecraft - called 'world' - put your favorite world in there.

All the server data files, including /var/db/minecraft directory are group games, with group write.

Pre-create a file called /var/log/minecraft.log and change it's group to 'games' and make it group writable.

Additionally, we end up with a 'control FIFO' at /var/db/minecraft/control

Once these scripts are in place, you can add minecraft to your default runlevel to boot a minecraft server on start.
Code:
rc-update add minecraft default

Additionally, if you feel the need, you can send 'control messages', eg.
Code:
echo "help" > /var/db/minecraft/control

Control messages can be anything the server understands, you can monitor the output by simply
Code:
tail -f /var/log/minecraft.log

This script is /usr/local/bin/Minecraft_Server_NoGUI.sh
Code:

#!/bin/bash
runDir=$(dirname ${0})
worldDir=/var/db/minecraft
controlPipe="${worldDir}/control"

if [ -d ${worldDir} ]
then
    cd ${worldDir}
else
    echo "${worldDir} directory does not exist - abort."
    exit 1
fi

# xterm -e "java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar \"${runDir}/Minecraft_Server.jar\" nogui"
SRV_PID=""

finished()
{
    if [ "${SRV_PID}" != "" ]
    then
        echo "stop" >&3
        wait $SRV_PID
        rm "${controlPipe}"
    else
        echo "** No SERVER PID **" >&2
    fi
    exit 0
}

trap 'finished' TERM INT

rm -f "${controlPipe}"
mkfifo "${controlPipe}"
chmod g+rw,o-rw,u=rw "${worldDir}/control"
#chown root:games "${worldDir}/control"
exec 3<> "${controlPipe}"

java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar "${runDir}/Minecraft_Server.jar"  nogui <&3 >> /var/log/minecraft.log 2>&1 < "${worldDir}/control" &

SRV_PID=$!
wait $SRV_PID

# should never get here.
exit 0

This script is /etc/init.d/minecraft
Code:

#!/sbin/runscript

depend() {
        need net
        after logger
        after xdm
}

start() {
    if [ -x /usr/local/bin/Minecraft_Server_NoGUI.sh ]
    then
        ebegin "Starting Minecraft Server"
        start-stop-daemon --start --background --make-pidfile --pidfile /var/run/minecraft/server.pid --chdir /var/db/minecraft --chuid games --exec /usr/local/bin/Minecraft_Server_NoGUI.sh
        eend $?
    fi
}

stop() {
    if [ -x /usr/local/bin/Minecraft_Server_NoGUI.sh -a -r /var/run/minecraft/server.pid ]
    then
        ebegin "Stopping Minecraft Server"
        start-stop-daemon --stop --pidfile /var/run/minecraft/server.pid --retry TERM/100
        eend $?
    fi
}

restart() {
    stop;
    start;
}

status() {
    if [ -x /usr/local/bin/Minecraft_Server_NoGUI.sh -a -r /var/run/minecraft/server.pid ]
    then
        if [ -r /proc/$(</var/run/minecraft/server.pid) ]
        then
            echo "Minecraft Server is running."
        else
            echo "Minecraft Server is not running."
        fi
    else
       echo "Minecraft Server is not running."
    fi
}

Spiesus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking at adding backup functionality to my server based on this ebuild.

The issue I have is I have no idea about tmux that much and my quick glance at the man page did me no good. Basically what I want to do is pass commands into tmux to issue a command or two (like save-off and save-on). I looked on the minecraft wiki (http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Server_startup_script) at their init script to get a bit of an idea on how they did it and being that it was with screen (something else I have never used...) I was hoping that someone can shed some light on my issue.

I will continue to look through the man pages but hopefully someone can come up with a quick tip for me.

Thanks
lyallp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I forget to mention in my post about starting a minecraft server, that you can send console commands to the server?

I have an hourly crontab entry which saves the world.

Code:
@hourly [ -r /var/db/minecraft/control ] && echo "save-all" > /var/db/minecraft/control

Any other console commands you could normally do in the GUI version are available using the same technique, simply echo them into /var/db/minecraft/control

You can ban, add ops, give, teleport, etc. If you want to see the output, simply have an xterm that does a
Code:
tail -f /var/log/minecraft.log

It would be relatively simple to have a menu driven control script, a bit like the following :-
Code:
#!/bin/bash
ServerRoot="/var/db/minecraft"
ServerControl="${ServerRoot}/control"
# sourced from http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Data_Values
itemDB="${ServerRoot}/item.db"
ServerLog="/var/log/minecraft.log"

function control()
{
    echo "$*"
    echo "$*" > "${ServerControl}"
    sleep 1
    tail "${ServerLog}"
}

while true
do
    read -p "Command (q=quit): " command
    case "${command}" in

l* )
       firefox "http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Data_Values"
       ;;
   p* )
       control "list"
       ;;
   g* )
       giveWhat=""
       toWhom=""
       itemCode=""
       howMany=""
       while true
       do
      read -p "Give what? " giveWhat
      grep -i "${giveWhat}" "${itemDB}"
      itemCount=$(grep -i "${giveWhat}" "${itemDB}" | wc -l)
      if [ "${itemCount}" -gt 1 ]
      then
          echo "Be more precise - try again."
          continue
      fi
      read -p "Correct (y/n) ? " correct
      case "${correct}" in
          y | yes )
         itemCode=$(grep -i "${giveWhat}" "${itemDB}" | cut -f1 -d:)
         break
         ;;
      esac
       done      
       read -p "How many? " howMany
       read -p "To whom? " toWhom
       if [ "${toWhom}" != "" ]
       then
      control "give ${toWhom} ${itemCode} ${howMany}"
       fi
       ;;
   q* )