Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Minecraft (ebuild to build deps from source!)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjy0724, what actually happens? An emerge --info might help.
gjy0724
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I see my problem now...my PORTDIR_OVERLAY environment varialbe was blank due to a syntax error in my make.conf. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Apparently the page I got for setting up layman was old, just incorrect, or just misunderstood.

was:
Code:
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="$(PORTDIR_OVERLAY)/var/lib/layman/java-overlay"

corrected to:
Code:
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="$PORTDIR_OVERLAY /var/lib/layman/java-overlay"

Again, thanks for the help.

Successfully compiled and tested...ability to waste time now completed. :)
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The page is correct, I think you just read it wrong! No matter now. Out of interest, does the game run better?
gjy0724
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, yes testing so far indicates that it runs much better. Hopefully that continues. Thanks again.

*EDIT* I did notice some choppiness and slowdown when it rains. But that is likely a video driver issue, because it does fine under w1nd0w$.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is LWJGL 2.8 still broken on this? I've heard of people saying it works fine for them when manually installed.
gjy0724
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: If I wanted to append modloader to the minecraft.jar file, which one would I use? Should I assume the one located in /usr/share/minecraft/lib, or some other file?

Thanks in advance.
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's another bump to Bukkit 1.1-R4. Sorry, I didn't get the notification for these posts.

Ant P, it probably will work as of 2.8.3. I haven't had time to play the game at all lately but I'll try to get round to this.

gjy0724, I hadn't heard of ModLoader before. From what I understand, it's for single-player mods so you need to append to ~/.minecraft/bin/minecraft.jar. /usr/share/minecraft/lib/minecraft.jar is just the launcher.
gjy0724
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apoligies, I was able to figure it out and took the appropriate actions. Now the only issue is when either MODLOADER is updated or when an updated jar file is pulled in during Gentoo updates. Here is what I did to install it. Naturally, the ModLoader files are kept in $HOME/.minecraft/bin/MODLOADER and $HOME/.minecraft/bin/mctmp is also kept afterwards for future installs.

Code:
mkdir $HOME/.minecraft/bin/mctmp
cd $HOME/.minecraft/bin/mctmp
jar vxf ../minecraft.jar
cp -v ../MODLOADER/* .
rm -v META-INF/MOJANG_C.*
jar vuf ../minecraft.jar ./

Enjoy...
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

~/.minecraft/bin/minecraft.jar is not touched by Portage. Portage only installs the launcher and it is the launcher that updates the main jar.
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that LWJGL 2.8.3 works and have updated the ebuild accordingly.

EDIT: Initially forgot to commit the new LWJGL ebuild, sorry!
mackal
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have terrible performance with this, although slightly better than the official package. My problem is that when it renders it has a terrible time rendering past tiny takes forever to render, I'm assuming there has to be something I'm over looking. build specs: AMD Phenom II X4 955 (3.2 GHz), 8 GB 1600 MHz RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6850 1 GB. I would note that on other distros I've had little problem running Minecraft at a 60+ FPS at max settings (I'm getting like 24 currently)
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know I beat the official package. :wink: Are you using Catalyst or the open drivers? If it's the latter then I'm not surprised. I have a 4670 and I hadn't checked what framerate I was getting until now but it turns out it's even less, around 20. Not great but I've come to expect that from the open drivers in some cases. It would bother me more if I were playing an FPS but I haven't had time for any games lately. Assuming you don't have it already, you can expect better performance from the newly released Mesa 8. I haven't tried it myself yet. Mesa 8.1 promises to be even better with features like HyperZ. We're still some way behind Catalyst but the gap is gradually narrowing.
mackal
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is with Catalyst, which is why I'm surprised.
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, that wouldn't necessarily surprise me either. I couldn't get away from that buggy heap of crap fast enough. But you did say it works on other distros. What's the output of "eselect opengl list" ? Does other 3D software run well?
mackal
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problems with other OpenGL apps (emulators, other games) I have ati set as my opengl.
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I guess you've tried playing with the options? Some of them can make a big difference but then again, I have everything set to max so you shouldn't need to turn them down. I'm not sure what else to suggest.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.2's out, the launcher has been updated too.
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
1.2's out, the launcher has been updated too.

Thanks for letting me know. Bumped it now. I'm not sure how the launcher has changed but the hack still works.
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah I'm so wrapped up in preparing for this job interview that I totally forgot to update the server as well. Done that now. Just as well I waited because they released another update today.
gjy0724
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Luck with the interview Chewi, I am in the same boat here. Hopefully it will end well for both of us...

Also, could I get someone to post a complete file listing of the minecraft.jar file that is located at $HOME/.minecraft/bin. I am working on a script that will add mods and keep backups of original files...something I failed to do. Since 1.2.3 is out, that would be a good place to start. I will post once complete. Thank you.
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. :)

gjy0724 wrote:

Also, could I get someone to post a complete file listing of the minecraft.jar file that is located at $HOME/.minecraft/bin. I am working on a script that will add mods and keep backups of original files...something I failed to do. Since 1.2.3 is out, that would be a good place to start. I will post once complete. Thank you.

http://pastebin.com/1EiyHrs2

I briefly thought about supporting mods that use the Minecraft Coder Pack but it needs a version of jad that was only ever released for Windows and that means Wine and that's where I decided it was getting far too ugly.
kofrad
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great work on this ebuild. I just wanted to chime in and report that I had no issues installing, except having to use the autounmask option for portage as everything is masked on amd64.

Unfortunately I get some pretty low framerates, especially during chunk generation.. I went down to about 5fps once I found my first jungle biome. I'm fairly certain this is just because I'm using the integrated graphics as my video card died a few months ago. In my experience Minecraft becomes much more playable with OptiFine and decreased graphics settings so now I'm just waiting for the mod to update. On the bright side, a new build is in the works once I get some more saved up.

My question is to install a mod I should just use the standard ~/.minecraft folder, correct? I'm assuming I'll need to reinstall the mod every time Minecraft updates as I would normally.

Again thanks for your work, I was really happy to see the build was rebuilt today for the 1.2 update! 8)
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kofrad wrote:
Thanks for the great work on this ebuild. I just wanted to chime in and report that I had no issues installing, except having to use the autounmask option for portage as everything is masked on amd64.

The dependencies in java-overlay will not be looked at by arch testing teams so they will generally always be masked. Not much I can do about that until I become a dev.

kofrad wrote:
My question is to install a mod I should just use the standard ~/.minecraft folder, correct? I'm assuming I'll need to reinstall the mod every time Minecraft updates as I would normally.

Yep. We only install the launcher and we don't touch the real minecraft.jar so just follow the normal procedure here.
Chewi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bukkit team now release recommended builds less frequently but also provide beta builds more frequently. I'm not sure whether I should only package recommended builds or package beta builds as well. A new beta build was released quite quickly following 1.2 but a recommended build was subsequently released for 1.1. Would I be wasting my time packaging the latter because you've already moved onto 1.2? Or would you prefer to hold out for more stable releases? Bear in mind that this may be academic in the not too distant future because the Bukkit team have been employed by Mojang to develop an official modding API.
Spiesus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bit more complicated problem. I am setting up a box in my house that will host all the servers I have running between the computers at home. As it stands I run a bukkit server, unmodded vanilla server and a modded vanilla server. I am going through the scripts you have written for your server ebuilds and cannot find a place where I can actually edit which minecraft-server.jar is being called for each server.

Basically, I want to make a copy of the vanilla minecraft-server.jar that is used in the script, mod it and create a workaround that would call the modded minecraft-server.jar, but apparently I am missing something in your files.

Can you point me in the proper direction for this?

Thanks
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 7 of 14

Jump to: