an udev rule for mounting usb hdds with pmount
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heimfrost
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: an udev rule for mounting usb hdds with pmount Reply with quote

I have made an udev rule called 99-usbstorage.rules with the following content in modification of https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Udev#Mount_under_.2Fmedia.3B_use_partition_label_if_present:

Code:
KERNEL!="sd[a-z][1-9]*", DRIVERS!="usb-storage", GOTO="exit"

# Import FS infos
IMPORT{program}="/sbin/blkid -o udev -p %N"

# Get a label if present, otherwise specify one
ENV{ID_FS_LABEL}!="", ENV{dir_name}="%E{ID_FS_LABEL}"
ENV{ID_FS_LABEL}=="", ENV{dir_name}="usb-%k"

# Global mount options
ACTION=="add", ENV{pmount_options}="--noatime"

# File system specific mount options to avoid auto probing
ACTION=="add", ENV{ID_FS_TYPE}=="ntfs|vfat", ENV{pmount_options}="%E{pmount_options} --umask 007 --charset utf8"
ACTION=="add", ENV{ID_FS_TYPE}=="ntfs", ENV{pmount_options}="%E{pmount_options} -t ntfs-3g"
ACTION=="add", ENV{ID_FS_TYPE}=="vfat", ENV{pmount_options}="%E{pmount_options} -t vfat"
ACTION=="add", ENV{ID_FS_TYPE}=="ext2", ENV{pmount_options}="%E{pmount_options} -t ext2"
ACTION=="add", ENV{ID_FS_TYPE}=="ext3", ENV{pmount_options}="%E{pmount_options} -t ext3"
ACTION=="add", ENV{ID_FS_TYPE}=="ext4", ENV{pmount_options}="%E{pmount_options} -t ext4"

# Mount the device
ACTION=="add", RUN+="/usr/bin/pmount $env{pmount_options} /dev/%k  /media/%E{dir_name}"

# Clean up after removal
ACTION=="remove", ENV{dir_name}!="", RUN+="/usr/bin/pumount /dev/%k"

# Exit
LABEL="exit"

If a new usb storage device like stick or external hdd is plugged in, it makes the dirs (by an available or generated label) under /media and mounts the devices.
Any user of the group "plugdev" is able to unmount them via pumount.
If a device was removed, pumount delete the dirs.

And here is my problem:
If usb devices were mounted and you halt/reboot your machine and remove the usb media or maybe the system crashes, then the directories under /media are still present, but they aren't mounted, because they're plugged off.
So in worst case, you could get a folder of empty dirs, nobody removes.

So the problem is, I want to look for remaining dirs under /media at boot process, after udevd has started.
But how can I do that ?
I just need some tips or hints from the experts how to make the initscript or anything else, I could do.
Or maybe a daily cron job is the better solution ?

In my imagination i thought about a combination of looking what is mounted with "mount | grep /media" and "ls /media" or like that and then rmdir the folders, which aren't mounted.
Or I could look to /media, if there are empty subdirs with an available file ".created_by_pmount", because pmount creates them, if it was called before.

But I have no experience in the right syntax of an initscript or the proper commands. (I use baselayout 2)
Heimfrost
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have updated the rule, because != with parent devices, like in "DRIVERS" doesn't work as I thought :(

Code:
KERNEL!="sd*[1-9]*", GOTO="exit"

# Import FS infos
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", IMPORT{program}="/sbin/blkid -o udev -p %N"

# Get a label if present, otherwise specify one
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ENV{ID_FS_LABEL}!="", ENV{dir_name}="%E{ID_FS_LABEL}"
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ENV{ID_FS_LABEL}=="", ENV{dir_name}="usb-%k"

# Global mount options
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ACTION=="add", ENV{pmount_options}="--noatime"

# File system specific mount options to avoid auto probing
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ACTION=="add", ENV{ID_FS_TYPE}=="ntfs|vfat", ENV{pmount_options}="%E{pmount_options} --umask 007 --charset utf8"
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ACTION=="add", ENV{ID_FS_TYPE}=="ntfs", ENV{pmount_options}="%E{pmount_options} -t ntfs-3g"
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ACTION=="add", ENV{ID_FS_TYPE}=="vfat", ENV{pmount_options}="%E{pmount_options} -t vfat"
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ACTION=="add", ENV{ID_FS_TYPE}=="ext2", ENV{pmount_options}="%E{pmount_options} -t ext2"
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ACTION=="add", ENV{ID_FS_TYPE}=="ext3", ENV{pmount_options}="%E{pmount_options} -t ext3"
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ACTION=="add", ENV{ID_FS_TYPE}=="ext4", ENV{pmount_options}="%E{pmount_options} -t ext4"

# Mount the device
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ACTION=="add", RUN+="/usr/bin/pmount $env{pmount_options} /dev/%k /media/%E{dir_name}"

# Clean up after removal
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ACTION=="remove", ENV{dir_name}!="", RUN+="/usr/bin/pumount /dev/%k"

# Exit
LABEL="exit"
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: