Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
lightweight postfix replacement for simple forwarding?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fberger
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:31 am    Post subject: lightweight postfix replacement for simple forwarding? Reply with quote

I run a server hosting several domains (a.com, b.com, c.com) and have up to now used Postfix' virtual domain capabilites to accept and forward mail in this fashion:

/etc/postfix/virtual:
Code:
# incoming for   forward to
info@a.com       customer-a@somehost.net
info@b.com       customer-b@somehost.com
info@c.com       customer-c@somehost.org

So there was no local delivery at all, just forwarding of certain well-known addresses. Also, there are no user accounts for a, b or c on the server.

I now happen to reinstall the server from scratch and wonder if there is a more lightweight, yet secure, alternative to Postfix for this kind of work.

Any pointers?

Thanks!

fberger
nephros
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try esmtp or nullmailer but personally I would just stay with postfix if it works.
gerdesj
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: lightweight postfix replacement for simple forwarding? Reply with quote

Well you don't really give many hints as to what you want.

If you are just relaying mail then I suggest changing the MX records for those domains to deliver direct. Why bother creating a pinch point or a single point of failure?

If you are scanning for spam n viruses then I can personally recommend Exim + Spam Assassin + ClamAV. If you want a hand with that I can send some examples or you can have a go and then request help for specific points.

I have one customer with 10 miliion separate IPs per week trying to mail harvest them. They have a 2.5Mbs-1 ADSL line and the mail host is a dinky Dell box with 1Gb RAM, I have the logging going to MySQL as well as various text files via rsyslog and it hardly breaks a sweat. Is that light weight enough? In general it is down to configuration and not system choice that defines utilization for this sort of thing.

Cheers
Jon
kashani
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've been happy with Postfix then stick with it. There isn't much I'd run that's simpler and Postfix has a pretty good security record after a couple of early missteps. Also it's flexible enough that if you need more logging or custom changes on the fly you've got those options.

kashani
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: