Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Anyone else miffed about the PHP_TARGETS forced rebuild?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NightMonkey
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Anyone else miffed about the PHP_TARGETS forced rebuild? Reply with quote

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=346505

Anyone else annoyed that you have to rebuild PHP and friends to use a feature you've never used in the first place, and aren't going to use in the future? This should be something done "behind the scenes" in Portage, not force users like me to rebuild PHP on all their servers and workstations just to maintain the status quo. Grrr...

Was there some announcement I missed?
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else miffed about the PHP_TARGETS forced rebuild? Reply with quote

NightMonkey wrote:
This should be something done "behind the scenes" in Portage,

Unfortunately that is usually not possible with fundamental changes like this.
NightMonkey
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else miffed about the PHP_TARGETS forced rebuild? Reply with quote

Genone wrote:
NightMonkey wrote:
This should be something done "behind the scenes" in Portage,

Unfortunately that is usually not possible with fundamental changes like this.

I see you are "retired", so I'm not directing this at you.

Why didn't this go out as a news item to users? I've been sitting watching this dependency problem show up, thinking that it was a passing thing. Only once I file a bug am I told about this.

I guess not many folks use Gentoo for PHP-enabled web servers? I'd think if there was there'd be a bit more outcry. If that's true, this event and that possibility make me sad. I keep hoping that Gentoo will become the premier web/database server platform, but then...

I'll keep using Gentoo, sure, but as time goes by and these sorts of things fly under the radar, my inclination to ever recommend it to fellow admins (let alone consulting clients) gets lower and lower.

Well, thanks for reading my howl in the dark.
NightMonkey
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, one more complaint. Hard to believe that there is no other way than *uninstalling PHP and reinstalling* to implement this change. Gad.
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add planet.gentoo.org's feed to your favorite RSS reader, and stay up-to-date on the latest developments!

Actually, the PHP team was recently very under under-staffed, and people were complaining how PHP in portage was out-of-date. Now, they have some people working and making major changes.
NightMonkey
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Etal wrote:
Add planet.gentoo.org's feed to your favorite RSS reader, and stay up-to-date on the latest developments!

Actually, the PHP team was recently very under under-staffed, and people were complaining how PHP in portage was out-of-date. Now, they have some people working and making major changes.

Why is there eselect news at all then? I do read the planet occasionally, but this one slipped by me. Better to have used the appropriate venue to disseminate this important update.
olemarkus
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightMonkey wrote:
Etal wrote:

Why is there eselect news at all then? I do read the planet occasionally, but this one slipped by me. Better to have used the appropriate venue to disseminate this important update.

Minor version slotting is still in ~arch. We will probably add a news item when we feel the ebuilds are ready for stabilisation.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: