[resolved] wifi disconnects on no traffic
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keeperofdakeys
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: [resolved] wifi disconnects on no traffic Reply with quote

I use wpa_supplicant and dhcpcd in order to connect to my wireless router. When I am using the networking, like irc, then it is connected perfectly. The problem comes when I have nothing using the network (even if I have ssh open), then wpa_supplicant disconnects with the following message in my syslog.
Code:
wlan0: deauthenticated from xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx (Reason: 3)

dhcpcd then quits, wpa_supplicant reconnects and dhcpcd reconnects. This happens about every minute. Since it works perfectly with traffic, I'm thinking this must be a problem with my wifi card. It is an atheros AR9285 using the ath9k driver. I'm using the 2.6.36-tuxonice kernel from portage.

Last edited by keeperofdakeys on Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
idella4
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may not be. When use my wifi, it constantly disconnects, I think ti the dhsp lease time expiry time., which is several minutes, so it's not a huge issue.. I do also use wpa_supplicant.

Try getting rid of wpa_supplicat and use the std connect of the system, which I can't currently recall, or there are a couple of dhcp types, you can try another of those.
keeperofdakeys
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 99% sure that this is not dhcp related, due to the log and the fact that I have NO disconnects when I am using the network (even a web-browser, as it keeps tcp connections to the servers).
Code:

kernel: cfg80211: Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain
kernel: wlan0: authenticate with xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx (try 1)
kernel: wlan0: authenticated
kernel: wlan0: associate with xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx (try 1)
kernel: wlan0: RX AssocResp from xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx (capab=0x431 status=0 aid=1)
kernel: wlan0: associated
kernel: cfg80211: Calling CRDA for country: DE
dhcpcd[22656]: wlan0: carrier acquired
dhcpcd[22656]: wlan0: rebinding lease of 192.168.1.201
dhcpcd[22656]: wlan0: acknowledged 192.168.1.201 from 192.168.1.253
dhcpcd[22656]: wlan0: checking for 192.168.1.201
dhcpcd[22656]: wlan0: leased 192.168.1.201 for 86400 seconds
kernel: wlan0: deauthenticated from xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx (Reason: 3)
dhcpcd[22656]: wlan0: carrier lost

As you can see the lease time is long, and wlan0 is deauthenticated before dhcpcd complains that the interface is lost.

As for iwconfig, I can't use this because it is a wpa2 setup. I will try using the router in unencrypted mode and see if the same trouble occurs both with wpa_supplicant or iwconfig. There is also a second router I can try.

Edit: Upon testing this on a second router, which is also wpa2, I did not experience the disconnection. Therefore this has something to do with my dd-wrt router, so I shall be doing some more tests then asking this question on their forum. Thanks for the help.
mr.sande
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the second post at http://forums.wi-fiplanet.com/showthread.php?t=6536 is correct, you are being deauthenticated because your AP is going offline.

Quote:
0...noReasonCode...Normal operation.
1...unspecifiedReason...Client associated but no longer authorized.
2...previousAuthNotValid...Client associated but not authorized.
3...deauthenticationLeaving...The access point went offline, deauthenticating the client.
4...disassociationDueToInactivity...Client session timeout exceeded.
5...disassociationAPBusy...The access point is busy, performing load balancing, for example.
6...class2FrameFromNonAuthStation...Client attempted to transfer data before it was authenticated.
7...class2FrameFromNonAssStation...Client attempted to transfer data before it was associated.
8...disassociationStaHasLeft...Operating System moved the client to another access point using non-aggressive load balancing.
9...staReqAssociationWithoutAuth...Client not authorized yet, still attempting to associate with an access point.
99...missingReasonCode...Client momentarily in an unknown state.
keeperofdakeys
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, this seems to fit very well with it working on the second router. Now I just need to work out why my router is deciding that no traffic is a reason to turn off the AP.
DrSlony
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you had any luck with finding out why your AP gets turned off? I suffer from the same "Reason: 3" problem.
Using a D-Link DIR-615, Firmware Version : 1.00VG
keeperofdakeys
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSlony wrote:
Have you had any luck with finding out why your AP gets turned off? I suffer from the same "Reason: 3" problem.
Using a D-Link DIR-615, Firmware Version : 1.00VG

I'm sorry, but it seems to have mysteriously solved itself. I did try restarting some options again, and it mystically worked.[/i]
DrSlony
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here, no more "Reason 3". Using gentoo-sources-2.6.36-r5, iwlagn for wlan1 and rtl8187 for wlan0, r8169 for eth0, and wpa_supplicant-0.7.2-r3.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: