openrc problem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mljive
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: openrc problem Reply with quote

I have just emerged openrc-0.6.5. The system boots fine, but after a couple of minutes the load goes up and the machine becomes unresponsive (although I can still see gkrell or top). Reverting back to openrc-0.6.4 doesn't help.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, can you run htop for a while and when it happens, double check which process is eating your box.
mattst88
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: openrc problem Reply with quote

mljive wrote:
I have just emerged openrc-0.6.5. The system boots fine, but after a couple of minutes the load goes up and the machine becomes unresponsive (although I can still see gkrell or top). Reverting back to openrc-0.6.4 doesn't help.

What from this makes you think it's a problem with OpenRC?
mljive
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

d2_racing wrote:
Hi, can you run htop for a while and when it happens, double check which process is eating your box.

It just shows load increase, there are no processes that take up more than 0% CPU. It spits out two call stack traces on the console (I am not running X) with just numbers (over the htop output) and shortly after that it becomes unresponsive, whilst I can still see the load increase on the screen.
mljive
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: openrc problem Reply with quote

Quote:
What from this makes you think it's a problem with OpenRC?

It started happening after I did emerge world which updated a single package, openrc. Last week I updated baselayout to 2 and it worked fine until this update two days ago. Reverting back to baslayout-1 doesn't look as straightforward.
mljive
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that the problem was in converting the old module load list to /etc/conf.d/modules which was empty, so powernow-k8 was not being loaded at all (although all other modules that were in the old module load file are being hot-plugged in?) and the system was becoming overloaded after 5 or 10 minutes. I've stuck modules="powernow-k8" in /etc/conf.d/modules which seems to have done the trick.
Anyway, thanks for your suggestions, especially introducing me to htop, a great little application.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: