View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SyKnight
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 6:33 pm    Post subject: Problem building kdebase-3.1_alpha1 Reply with quote

Anyone else experience this?

Code:

.libs/FontThumbnail.o(.text+0x91ce): undefined reference to 'FTC_Image_Cache_Lookup'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[4]: *** [fontthumbnail.la.closure] Error 1
make[4]: leaving directory /var/tmp/portage/kdebase-3.1_alpha1/work/kdebase-3.0.6/kcontrol/kfontinst/thumbnail'
make[4]: leaving directory [all recursive] blah blah blah..

Function kde_src_compile, line -4320, exitcode 2
died running emake, kde_src_compile,make

emerge aborting on /usr/portage/kde-base/kdebase/kdebase-3.1_alpha1.ebuild
montz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 6:43 pm    Post subject: no. but... Reply with quote

No. I compiled kde successfully (havent tried kdeedu or kdegames).

But....

Everyone who are trying to install Kde3.1Alpha - remember to remove old kde packages. I had 3.0.1 installed and after install KDE3.1 worked funky and everything crashed a lot. Konq refused to work at all. Then i removed all kde stuff(even deleted /bin/kde/ dir) and after a while(compiling) everything worked perfectly.
SyKnight
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should clarify. This system has nothing on it, it's nice and fresh :)
SyKnight
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bumpity
metalhedd
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SyKnight, whats with the bump posts? I've seen a few of them from you lately.
eric.cheminot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem. In order to slice compilation time (I am not the only user on the PC), I first emerged xfree, then qt3, arts, kdelibs, kebuild, kebuildpart and then (just an attempt...) kdebase.

It has a long list of undefined reference in kcontrol/kfontinstall/thumbnail/FontThumbnail. Many (cannot remember if all) start with 'FTC' prefix. We should first determine from where these symbols should get defined.

-ec
aaronvegh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 1:48 pm    Post subject: Me too... Reply with quote

I am currently having this same problem. I seem to have isolated it to building kdelibs. About ten minutes into the compilation process, it cacks out with an error, citing the file libkdecore_la.all_cpp.cpp.

I've seen posts elsewhere that seem to suggest this is a memory problem. See http://lists.gentoo.org/pipermail/gentoo-user/2002-March/016512.html . I've got the recommended 256 MB swap space enabled, but I'm unsure about VM.

One other thing: like the poster before, I installed a couple pieces prior to my attempt with KDE. I installed XFree and QT yesterday, and tried KDE last night. Could this be part of the problem?

Cheers,
Aaron.
aaronvegh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 4:36 pm    Post subject: me too again... Reply with quote

Okay, I thought I'd go around the problem by installing Gnome. But the same problem happened again, this time during the build of X11-libs/pango. Looks like in this one there were parsing errors of some kind. Is there a way to view emerge logs somewhere? I can't find anything like that, otherwise I could give a better description of the errors.
eric.cheminot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've seen posts elsewhere that seem to suggest this is a memory problem. See http://lists.gentoo.org/pipermail/gentoo-user/2002-March/016512.html . I've got the recommended 256 MB swap space enabled, but I'm unsure about VM.

It seems that it is not related to memory size (I have 512MB + 718MB for swap). I have just made an extensive memory test and it seems that I have no problem with my RAM....

-ec
jackD
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a clean install of everything yesterday. I started from the stage3 then compiled X. I also ran into an error in kdebase when compiling KDE 3.1 Alpha1. Then I commented out the menushadow patch line from the kdelibs ebuild, as well as the kdebase ebuild. It worked fine after that, no menu shadows of course. :(

Jack
aaronvegh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jack,
But how do you comment out the menushadows? Which file is it in the ebuild?
jackD
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops, sorry for the lack of info. Here's more.

In kde-base/kdebase/kdebase-3.1_alpha1.ebuild change

Code:

PATCHES="${FILESDIR}/${P}-menushadows.diff"

to
Code:

#PATCHES="${FILESDIR}/${P}-menushadows.diff"

That took care of my kdebase problem. I also did the same to kde-base/kdelibs/kdelibs-3.1_alpha1.ebuild, my kdelibs built fine with the menu shadow patch so it might be ok if it's in there, you still won't have menu shadows because it's not in kdebase, but I re-emerged kdelibs just to be certain.

Jack
richyp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with all the missing FTC_xxx constants when installing to a clean system. To fix it i did:

Code:
emerge freetype

and it compiled without any other problems

Cheers

Rich
venkatas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 1:03 am    Post subject: similar problem Reply with quote

Hello, I'm experience the same problem, but mine can be narrowed down to emerging kde-base/arts .. anyone have any ideas? i've tried emerging freetype, and i've also searched for that "PATCHES="..." to uncomment, but i can't find that since its not an alpha build, but a later one.. i think? Here is the code, if it will help in finding a solution for all!:

mcopidl.o: In function `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >& std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::append<char const*>(char const*, char const*)':
mcopidl.o(.gnu.linkonce.t._ZNSs6appendIPKcEERSsT_S3_+0x53): undefined reference to `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::replace(__gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<char*, std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > >, __gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<char*, std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > >, char const*, char const*)'
make[2]: *** [mcopidl] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/arts-1.0.3/work/arts-1.0.3/mcopidl'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/arts-1.0.3/work/arts-1.0.3'
make: *** [all] Error 2

!!! ERROR: The ebuild did not complete successfully.
!!! Function kde_src_compile, Line -6648, Exitcode 2
!!! died running emake, kde_src_compile:make

If you made it this far, im really sorry for the mess :), i am having a hard time using the "CODE" option and other things to post
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: similar problem Reply with quote

Any special reason to install kde 3.1 alpha when we have had beta for a long time??

venkatas wrote:
Hello, I'm experience the same problem, but mine can be narrowed down to emerging kde-base/arts .. anyone have any ideas? i've tried emerging freetype, and i've also searched for that "PATCHES="..." to uncomment, but i can't find that since its not an alpha build, but a later one.. i think? Here is the code, if it will help in finding a solution for all!:

mcopidl.o: In function `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >& std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::append<char const*>(char const*, char const*)':
mcopidl.o(.gnu.linkonce.t._ZNSs6appendIPKcEERSsT_S3_+0x53): undefined reference to `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::replace(__gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<char*, std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > >, __gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<char*, std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > >, char const*, char const*)'
make[2]: *** [mcopidl] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/arts-1.0.3/work/arts-1.0.3/mcopidl'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/arts-1.0.3/work/arts-1.0.3'
make: *** [all] Error 2

!!! ERROR: The ebuild did not complete successfully.
!!! Function kde_src_compile, Line -6648, Exitcode 2
!!! died running emake, kde_src_compile:make

If you made it this far, im really sorry for the mess :), i am having a hard time using the "CODE" option and other things to post
venkatas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 4:57 am    Post subject: re: bloody Reply with quote

whooops, sorry i forgot to mention that i *AM* using the newest beta version from doing emerge rsyncs... i just posted my problem on this thread because other ppl seemed to have similar problems..
StrCrssd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 1:50 pm    Post subject: Working... Reply with quote

It works fine for me here. I had to give it a little Tender Loving Care (symlink /var/tmp/portage/kdelibs-3.0.7 to /var/tmp/portage/kdelibs-3.1_beta1)

But aside from that little kink, it's up and running happily here.

Before unmasking and emerging I did unmerge kde3.0.3 and then took out any remainders (my profile, primarily)

Give a man enough rope, he'll hang himself. Teach a man to make rope, he'll hang other people.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: