Are this iptable rules safe and sound?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pa1983
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:15 am    Post subject: Are this iptable rules safe and sound? Reply with quote

Hello!
My English is not the best I'm afraid but I hope its not to much of a problem.

I had my firs linux router back in 1999-2000 something and a friend wrote a basic but working iptable script for me. I have built on that script ever sens but I feel like I would want something new.
I have been reading some guides on netfilter home page and other links I received from gentoo irc channel and well but a new script together.
I recently added a wlan card to my gentoo router and done some fixes so this is a overhaul I waned to do fore some time.
I have eth0 connected to my ADSL2+ modem and eth1 is connected to my switch and wlan0 runs as an access point using hostapd and have MAC filtering and WPA encryption for security.

So basically I want to the router to route, forward and well block incoming traffic to ports by default unless other is specified and do some port forwarding. I have that functionality in my old script but its become a bit messy I think and I have probably messed it up a bit over the years I suspect. I was told to prioritize safety on the WAN side and not bother with security on the LAN so much and sens its my privet home network it makes sens.

I ended up using the ! "NOT"option a lot I dont know if its good in all seniors but it made the script the most compact but it might not be secure?
I'm not a network expert by any means so thats why I'm not afraid of what I have been thinking of its what I haven't been thinking of.
And It seems to be hard to find expertise on iptables.

eth1 and wlan0 runs on two different subnets also but that seems to work fine. I have tested the script and seems to do what I want but well I'm not sure if its good and secure or just crap.
Maybe I have been to generous with the allowed traffic on the LAN side etc compromising security in some way on the WAN side?

Well any way here is the script.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
# Network interfaces
WAN="eth0"
LAN="eth1"
WLAN="wlan0"

#make sure ssh don't get disconnected
iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT

# Flush old rules
iptables -F
iptables -X
iptables -t nat -F

# NATar and enables ipv4 forwarding and packet filter
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o $WAN -j MASQUERADE
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/$WAN/rp_filter

# Set access for localhost
iptables -A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT

# Accept packets belonging to established and related connections
iptables -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -i $WAN -j ACCEPT

# Accept packages on LAN and WLAN
iptables -A INPUT ! -i $WAN -j ACCEPT

# Open ports on WAN
iptables -A INPUT -i $WAN -p UDP --dport 88 -j ACCEPT #xbox360
iptables -A INPUT -i $WAN -p UDP --dport 3074 -j ACCEPT #xbox360
iptables -A INPUT -i $WAN -p TCP --dport 3074 -j ACCEPT #xbox360

# Forward packages between interfaces
iptables -A FORWARD ! -i $WAN ! -o $WAN -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -i $WAN ! -o $WAN -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD ! -i $WAN -o $WAN -j ACCEPT

# Forwarding ports from WAN
iptables -A PREROUTING -t nat -p udp -i $WAN --dport 88 -j DNAT --to 192.168.0.99 #xbox360
iptables -A PREROUTING -t nat -p udp -i $WAN --dport 3074 -j DNAT --to 192.168.0.99 #xbox360
iptables -A PREROUTING -t nat -p tcp -i $WAN --dport 3074 -j DNAT --to 192.168.0.99 #xbox360

# Default fallback rules
iptables -P INPUT DROP
iptables -P FORWARD DROP
iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT

Jimini
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Are this iptable rules safe and sound? Reply with quote

Quote:
Code:
iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT

This policy allows all incoming traffic, if it is not explicitly forbidden. Do you really want that? It would be better to forbid all traffic (iptables -P INPUT DROP) and allow traffic for single ports and/or ip-addresses.

Quote:
Code:
iptables -F
iptables -X
iptables -t nat -F

"iptables -X" deletes one user-defined chain. In your case, you can delete this line - you only need it, if you define a custom chain.

Quote:
Code:

I would replace "$WAN" with "all" - or use this:
Code:
for FILTER in /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/*/rp_filter; do
 echo 1 > $FILTER
done

Quote:
Code:

Then you should allow outgoing local traffic, too:
Code:
iptables -A OUTPUT -o lo -j ACCEPT

Quote:
Code:
iptables -A FORWARD -i $WAN ! -o $WAN -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

Hm, what are you trying to do here? I can't figure this out - but the first and the last line are identic.

Quote:
Code:
iptables -A PREROUTING -t nat -p udp -i $WAN --dport 88 -j DNAT --to 192.168.0.99 #xbox360
iptables -A PREROUTING -t nat -p udp -i $WAN --dport 3074 -j DNAT --to 192.168.0.99 #xbox360
iptables -A PREROUTING -t nat -p tcp -i $WAN --dport 3074 -j DNAT --to 192.168.0.99 #xbox360

As far as I know, it should be "--to-destination 192.168.00.99"

Quote:
Code:
iptables -P INPUT DROP
iptables -P FORWARD DROP
iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT

Correct. But you should take a look at the beginning of your rules - there you defined a policy, which allowed all incoming traffic.

Regarding filtering the traffic from LAN to WAN, I always allow traffic from the "inside" to reach the "outside", this should be secure enough (except you want to control the traffic from your network really strictly).

For testing purposes, you could run a port scan, like this one. Or you use something like nessus or nmap from the "outside" to scan your firewall for open ports.

Best regards,
Jimini
pa1983
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT

I put that in the beginning suggested by a guide. Any way it was to make sure ssh if you ran the script over ssh that you didn't got disconnected.

Code:
iptables -P INPUT DROP

From what I understood putting this after the first one that accepted input should put the INPUT policy to DROP making the first on invalid thats why I put it in the bottom after all input rules for the LAN and WLAN was in place.
This was just to make sure on didn't get disconnected over ssh when running the script during testing.
But I don't know if thats a good idea but I could remove that to I suppose.

Code:
iptables -X

I put that there because my old firewall scrip have a user defined chain called firewall so that was to make sure I got rid of it nothing else. Just makes it easier during testing but I could clean tat up once I know my new script is good yes.

Code:

I wasn't sure about that so will fix that.

Code:

The first line allows forwarding from any interface except eth0 to any interface except eth0 because I used "!" (NOT) before -i and -o on both I didn't do that on the last line. Basically was meant to allow forwarding between eth1 and wlan0 so the LAN and WLAN computers can talk to etch other.
The second line allows forwarding from eth0 to eth1 and wlan0 or any other interface but this are the once I have and I added --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED for added security as recommended by most guides.
The last line allows any interface except eth0 to forward to eth0 so it allows eth1 and wlan0 to forward to eth0 basically. I only have "!" on the -i not the -o thats the difference from the first line.
I don't know if the way I did this is good at all but I was recommended to keep things compact and efficient so this was the best I could come up with but I'm not that good at this thats why I need some input from other people.

Code:

My old script used --to also and the guide I was using but I checked the man pages and --to-destination exist and seems be specific for IP addresses and Ports so I could change to that that makes sens.

Code:

Good you mentioned that. I was wondering the same thing. I have read both but I wasn't sure what was correct. I'm not sure but shouldn't "iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT" in the bottom of the script allow this to or is that an exception?

Btw how would you suggest one best allows internal traffic to reach the outside?
Thanks for the input it gave me something to think about.
Jimini
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Code:
iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT

I put that in the beginning suggested by a guide. Any way it was to make sure ssh if you ran the script over ssh that you didn't got disconnected.

Okay, that's how I do it, too. But it doesn't matter where you put your policies - if a packet arrives, it goes through all your chains and rules. If none of your rules matches, it's handled as set in the policy.
Example:
[...]
iptables -P INPUT DROP
iptables -P OUTPUT DROP
iptables -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 22 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
[...]

Now you try to connect to the SSH server on your firewall. Although the default policy is "DROP", the packet can reach the deamon, because the rule in the last line allows this. The SSH daemon can answer, because all packets belonging to an established connection or which are related which an established connection are allowed.
Now you try to connect to port 80 on your firewall. This packet will be dropped, because there is no rule which allows incoming traffic on port 80 - and the policy still says "DROP that".

Quote:
Code:

The first line allows forwarding from any interface except eth0 to any interface except eth0 because I used "!" (NOT) before -i and -o on both I didn't do that on the last line. Basically was meant to allow forwarding between eth1 and wlan0 so the LAN and WLAN computers can talk to etch other.
The second line allows forwarding from eth0 to eth1 and wlan0 or any other interface but this are the once I have and I added --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED for added security as recommended by most guides.
The last line allows any interface except eth0 to forward to eth0 so it allows eth1 and wlan0 to forward to eth0 basically. I only have "!" on the -i not the -o thats the difference from the first line.
I don't know if the way I did this is good at all but I was recommended to keep things compact and efficient so this was the best I could come up with but I'm not that good at this thats why I need some input from other people.

Ah okay, now I get it. I've never bridged networks yet, so I'm not experienced with this routing-procedure.

Quote:
Code:

Good you mentioned that. I was wondering the same thing. I have read both but I wasn't sure what was correct. I'm not sure but shouldn't "iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT" in the bottom of the script allow this to or is that an exception?

If your OUTPUT-policy allows all outgoing traffic, which is not forbidden by your rules, then of course you don't have to allow local outgoing traffic. But this is very insecure. It is always better to forbid all traffic and to allow it for single ports and/or addresses. So your policy should be like "iptables -P OUTPUT DROP", afterwards, you allow local traffic
Code:

Quote:
Btw how would you suggest one best allows internal traffic to reach the outside?

This is how this section in my firewall looks like:
Code:
### default policy: drop everything
iptables -P INPUT DROP
iptables -P OUTPUT DROP
iptables -P FORWARD DROP
### default policy: first nat everything, then drop/forward/allow it in single cases
iptables -t nat -P PREROUTING ACCEPT
iptables -t nat -P POSTROUTING ACCEPT
iptables -t nat -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
### accept connection attempts from the inside
iptables -A FORWARD -s $intern -i $lan -o $wan -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -s $intern -i $lan -j ACCEPT (you don't need this rule if your firewall machine is just a gateway and doesn't offer any services to the network)
### allow lokal traffic
### accept all traffic belonging to an existing connection
iptables -A FORWARD -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
### mask all traffic from lan to wan
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o $wan -j MASQUERADE
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o $wan -j SNAT --to-source $external_ip

Quote:
Thanks for the input it gave me something to think about.

You're welcome :)

Best regards,
Jimini
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, are you sure that you need to open them ?

Code:

iptables -A INPUT -i $WAN -p UDP --dport 3074 -j ACCEPT #xbox360
iptables -A INPUT -i $WAN -p TCP --dport 3074 -j ACCEPT #xbox360

I think that it's your XBOX that will open theses ports.

So that rule will be only required :
Code:
iptables -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -i $WAN -j ACCEPT

Finally, if you really need them, you can use this :

Code:

iptables -A INPUT -i $WAN -p all --dport 3074 -j ACCEPT #xbox360
Hu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: Are this iptable rules safe and sound? Reply with quote

pa1983 wrote:
Well any way here is the script.
Whenever possible, avoid using a shell script to configure iptables. Instead, use a saved rules file, which you can load atomically. The Gentoo initscripts handle this for you, so once you have configured the firewall to your liking, you should add iptables to the default runlevel and execute /etc/init.d/iptables save to save the active rules so they are used on next reboot.
pa1983 wrote:
Code:
#make sure ssh don't get disconnected
iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
This is unnecessary. Your script has no ability to exit early, so barring explicit user interruption, it will always run to the end and set the policy to DROP. Additionally, it is unsafe to make the policy be ACCEPT when your table is empty, since that could allow an incoming connection to be established while the rules are being added.
pa1983 wrote:
Code:
Specifying these rules together is unnecessary. By simplification, these could be reduced to a single rule which has no qualifier on the output interface.
pa1983 wrote:
Code:
I do not think these rules will work in isolation. Since they are DNAT rules, they are meant to allow an unsolicited incoming connection to be mapped to an internal machine. However, you have no rule in FORWARD which would allow the packets mapped by these DNAT rules to reach their destination.
Jimini wrote:
Ah okay, now I get it. I've never bridged networks yet, so I'm not experienced with this routing-procedure.
Bridging is an entirely different type of network construct. :)
Jimini
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Are this iptable rules safe and sound? Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
Whenever possible, avoid using a shell script to configure iptables.

Why? Because of the possible security vulnerability through the access rights of the script?

Hu wrote:
Jimini wrote:
Bridging is an entirely different type of network construct. :)

You got me ;)

Best regards,
Jimini

Last edited by Jimini on Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:29 am; edited 1 time in total
pa1983
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a lot to think about. The more I learn the more confused I get about the howl thing :D

Need to think all this over and see what I can come up with.
Hu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: Are this iptable rules safe and sound? Reply with quote

Jimini wrote:
Hu wrote:
Whenever possible, avoid using a shell script to configure iptables.
Why? Because of the possible security vulnerability through the access rights of the script?
Loading iptables through a shell script has two problems. First, the rules are inserted one at a time, so incoming traffic could be processed by a half-loaded firewall. The results would likely not be what was intended. Second, most people who write a shell script to load their firewall rules provide no error checking, so if any one rule fails to load, the script ignores it and continues adding more rules. Again, the result is an improperly loaded firewall that is likely not behaving as the operator intended. The proper fix to both problems is to load the rules atomically through iptables-restore, which is what the Gentoo initscript does for you. As an added safety precaution, you can mark that starting the rules is a prerequisite to starting the network, so that a failure to load the rules prevents the interface from coming up on its own.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: