Partitions occasionaly fail to mount
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
just-paja
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Partitions occasionaly fail to mount Reply with quote

Hi, I'm running Gentoo 64-bit (up-to-date) on laptop but sometimes all non-root partitions listed in /etc/fstab fail to mount automatically during boot up. But it is possible to mount them manually using `mount -a`
I suspect the problem is in runlevels -> my fault, but it may be somewhere else. So far no errors are logged or displayed when the failure occurs. It seems almost mysterious to me.
I'll be happy to give any logs anyone asks for, just tell me how.

Code:

cat /etc/fstab
# <fs>         <mountpoint>   <type>      <opts>                  <dump/pass>
/dev/sda1      /                     ext3         noatime                     0 1
/dev/sda5      /var               ext4         defaults,auto            0 0
/dev/sda6      /home               ext4         defaults,auto            0 0
/dev/sda7      /mnt/storage   ext4         defaults,auto            0 0
/dev/sda8      none               swap         sw                           0 0
/dev/cdrom                         /mnt/cdrom      auto         noauto,ro                  0 0
tmpfs         /tmp               tmpfs         nodev,nosuid,size=256000000   0 0
shm         /dev/shm         tmpfs         nodev,nosuid,noexec   0 0

Here's my runlevel setting. The AC or Battery runlevels are initiated after finishing default runlevel. /XDM is reported crashed, it does always since I moved to SLiM from GDM, but it's just reporting problem/

Code:

Runlevel: battery
 postfix                                                           [  started  ]
 xdm                                                               [  crashed  ]
 dbus                                                              [  started  ]
 udev-postmount                                                    [  started  ]
 oss                                                               [  started  ]
 wicd                                                              [  started  ]
 laptop_mode                                                       [  stopped  ]
Runlevel: sysinit
 udev-mount                                                        [  started  ]
 dmesg                                                             [  started  ]
 udev                                                              [  started  ]
 termencoding                                                      [  started  ]
 hostname                                                          [  started  ]
 consolefont                                                       [  started  ]
 devfs                                                             [  started  ]
Runlevel: nonetwork
 local                                                             [  started  ]
Runlevel: ac
 mysql                                                             [  started  ]
 postfix                                                           [  started  ]
 sshd                                                              [  started  ]
 apache2                                                           [  started  ]
 distccd                                                           [  started  ]
Runlevel: default
Runlevel: boot
 modules                                                           [  started  ]
 root                                                              [  started  ]
 mtab                                                              [  started  ]
 localmount                                                        [  started  ]
 sysctl                                                            [  started  ]
 bootmisc                                                          [  started  ]
 acpid                                                             [  started  ]
 keymaps                                                           [  started  ]
 staticroute                                                       [  started  ]
 net.lo                                                            [  started  ]
 swap                                                              [  started  ]
Runlevel: shutdown
 savecache                                                         [  stopped  ]
 killprocs                                                         [  stopped  ]
 mount-ro                                                          [  stopped  ]
Runlevel: single
Dynamic Runlevel: hotplugged
 bluetooth                                                         [  started  ]
Dynamic Runlevel: needed
 sysfs                                                             [  started  ]
 xdm-setup                                                         [  started  ]
Dynamic Runlevel: manual

jathlon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try changing all the <dump/pass> options for the physical partitions to 0 2. Things like the cdrom, tmpfs and shm can remain as 0 0. / should remain as 0 1.

From the man page for fstab;

Code:
The  sixth field, (fs_passno), is used by the fsck(8) program to determine the order in which filesystem checks are done at reboot time.  The root filesystem should be specified with a fs_passno of 1, and other filesystems should have a fs_passno of 2.  Filesystems within a drive will be checked sequentially, but filesystems on different drives will  be checked  at the same time to utilize parallelism available in the hardware.  If the sixth field is not present or zero, a value of zero is returned and fsck will assume that the  filesystem does not need to be checked.

Your system may have been working for you prior to this because most filesystems can be mounted a certain number of times before they require a fsck. You may have seen a notice when you were creating the filesystems something about the number of times that the filesytem can be mounted before it will be checked.

I won't guarantee that this is you problem, but I had something similar, with just one partition.

joe
just-paja
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for an idea. I will try. Also I will do fsck next boot and report if the problem happens again..
just-paja
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well.. that was quick. I simulated conditions before the last failure. (I had to switch off laptop cause I was in a hurry)
<SysRq>+<B> without syncing or anything, just hard reboot and there we go again. Partitions were checked by fsck but only /dev/sda1 (root) was mounted after boot.
just-paja
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This laptop has been trash for some time now. You can close the topic.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: