Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
how to install/use kmail without f**kn akonadi and mysql?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
step
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: how to install/use kmail without f**kn akonadi and mysql? Reply with quote

Can someone tell me how I can install and use my favorite mail client mail, without mysql and this joke called akonadi?
pingufunkybeat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which version?

KMail and the rest of KDE PIM are migrating to Akonadi for good.
phajdan.jr
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: how to install/use kmail without f**kn akonadi and mysql Reply with quote

step wrote:
Can someone tell me how I can install and use my favorite mail client mail, without mysql and this joke called akonadi?

Yeah, I'm not a fan of akonadi. Let me tell you the generic answer. Try running emerge with -t (--tree) option. It will show you what pulls akonadi and why. I think it could be something like the "semantic-desktop" USE-flag. On the other hand, maybe it became a required dependency recently, I'm not sure.
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: how to install/use kmail without f**kn akonadi and mysql Reply with quote

step wrote:

Starting with KDE 4.4, you can't.
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the Gentoo default is now sqlite instead of mysql. I made the switch on an ~x86 box, and kmail still works with kde-4.5.2 (but using 4.4.6 kmail and deps).
In my case, before I switched over to sqlite, when akonadi-server came up first, the dialog box listed several mysql errors, so i figured why not try sqlite. Also, When I closed the akonadi dialog mysql error box, kmail immediately vanishes. However, if I just reopen kmail it works normally.

After switching to sqlite (requires rebuilding a few pkgs including qt-sql, and editing akonadiserverrc, changing to DRIVER=SQLITE3), the akonodi-server dialog startup box no longer reports the mysql errors, but still crashes kmail when I close the box.

I also had dbus/nepomuk errors, but after running two commands I found on a Ubuntu page (forget where, and am not on that box right now), it ran a routine rebuilding a bunch of db stuff (I think), and now no more nepomuk/dbus errors in the akonadiserver dialog box, and everything seems to run "smoother."

However, closing the akonadi box still crashes kmail, and I have to restart kmail. Anyone seeing this weird kmail crash?

EDIT: Forgot- I also needed to add sqlite and -mysql to etc/package.use. IIRC, it was akonadi-server and akonadi, but I'm not sure on that and can't check right now.

OK- for package.use that was:
Code:
app-office/akonadi-server -mysql sqlite
kde-base/akonadi -mysql sqlite

OpenRC Gentoo ~amd64 plasma, glibc-2.36-r7, gcc-13.2.1_p20230304
kernel-6.9.1 USE=experimental python3_11
drhirsch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used "-semantic-desktop" and removed kmail and pimlibs etc. completly, a step I should have taken long before. I am now using thunderbird (migrating my 10k mails) and good riddance to kmail, which has become rather atrocious over the years.
gorkypl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: how to install/use kmail without f**kn akonadi and mysql Reply with quote

step wrote:

hey, the answer is very easy, I resolved this problem with two steps:
Code:

# emerge -c kmail
# emerge -av claws-mail

I did it about half a year ago, when first version of akonadi-dependent kmail was introduced, and today I consider it one of my best desktop-related decisions in the whole history of my using Linux.
Telling the truth I removed the whole KDE that day, after using it since the 1990's...
Muso
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I do prefer Sylpheed (and sylpheed claws), I think the OP wants to keep kmail.

Though if he's willing to try something else, claws is a good alternative.
philip
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrc1944 wrote:
Quote:
After switching to sqlite (requires rebuilding a few pkgs including qt-sql, and editing akonadiserverrc, changing to DRIVER=SQLITE3), the akonodi-server dialog startup box no longer reports the mysql errors, but still crashes kmail when I close the box.

Exactly which packages did you have to rebuild? Any more steps besides the changes in akonadiserverrc?
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After changing the USE flags in /etc/portage/package.use as mentioned above, and editing akonadiserverrc, I rebuilt akonadi, akonadi-server, and qt-sql. Also probably a good idea to do an emerge -DN @world just in case the USE flags additions affect any other packages.

However, the switch to sqlite didn't solve my kmail crash on initial startup, and i still have to restart kmail after closing the akonadi dialog box that pops up when I start kmail the first time. Either this is a bug in kmail and/or akonadi, or I still have something configured wrong on my system. In any case, kmail works normally after I restart the 2nd time. :roll:
albright
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can avoid the kmail crash if you run "akonadictl start" - I expect
you could put this in a script and let kde run it at startup
iss
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrc1944 wrote:
After changing the USE flags in /etc/portage/package.use as mentioned above, and editing akonadiserverrc, I rebuilt akonadi, akonadi-server, and qt-sql. Also probably a good idea to do an emerge -DN @world just in case the USE flags additions affect any other packages.

However, the switch to sqlite didn't solve my kmail crash on initial startup, and i still have to restart kmail after closing the akonadi dialog box that pops up when I start kmail the first time. Either this is a bug in kmail and/or akonadi, or I still have something configured wrong on my system. In any case, kmail works normally after I restart the 2nd time. :roll:

With app-office/akonadi-server-1.4.0-r2 and SQLite driver my kmail crashes dropped drastically, but I had to remove old akonadi files from ~/.config/akonadi/. It still crashes sometimes, but not every day like before.

On my second pc beside upgrading akonadi I also upgraded kmail (and needed kdepim packages) to 4.4.6 and I haven't experienced kmail crash ever since.
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@iss,
Good to know you are having better kmail experiences. :)

@albright,
Thanks much for the tip- I did akonadictl start (as user) before opening kmail. It worked, and I no longer get the akonadi dialog box with the test results. Where should I put the script? Or edit an existing config file? I assume somewhere in /home/wrc, as I ran it manually as my user, and it worked.

Apparently I still have two little problems. A "deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface," and at the bottom a "Failed to get outbox folder and Unknown resorce." I'm running portage qt-4.6.3 packages on this box. I doubt it, but maybe it's time to unmask and move to qt-4.7? Any thoughts on these? Do I need to rebuild the akonadi.db after I changed to sqlite?
Code:
 wrc@gentoo ~ $ akonadictl start
Starting Akonadi Server...
   done.
wrc@gentoo ~ $ Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
[akonadiserver] QSqlDatabasePrivate::removeDatabase: connection 'initConnection' is still in use, all queries will cease to work.
[akonadiserver] Database "/home/wrc/.local/share/akonadi/akonadi.db" opened using driver "QSQLITE3"
[akonadiserver] DbInitializer::run()
[akonadiserver] checking table  "SchemaVersionTable"
[akonadiserver] checking table  "ResourceTable"
[akonadiserver] checking table  "CollectionTable"
[akonadiserver] checking table  "MimeTypeTable"
[akonadiserver] checking table  "PimItemTable"
[akonadiserver] checking table  "FlagTable"
[akonadiserver] checking table  "PartTable"
[akonadiserver] checking table  "CollectionAttributeTable"
[akonadiserver] checking relation  "PimItemFlagRelation"
[akonadiserver] checking relation  "CollectionMimeTypeRelation"
[akonadiserver] checking relation  "CollectionPimItemRelation"
[akonadiserver] DbInitializer::run() done
[akonadiserver] skipping update 2
[akonadiserver] skipping update 3
[akonadiserver] skipping update 4
[akonadiserver] skipping update 8
[akonadiserver] skipping update 10
[akonadiserver] skipping update 12
[akonadiserver] skipping update 13
[akonadiserver] skipping update 14
[akonadiserver] skipping update 15
[akonadiserver] skipping update 16
[akonadiserver] skipping update 17
[akonadiserver] skipping update 18
[akonadiserver] skipping update 19
[akonadiserver] Database "/home/wrc/.local/share/akonadi/akonadi.db" opened using driver "QSQLITE3"
[akonadiserver] Akonadi::NepomukSearchEngine(0x83970b0) QObject(0x0)
[akonadiserver] DataStore::unhideAllPimItems()
[akonadiserver] Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
PLUGINS:  "/usr/share/akonadi/agents"
PLUGINS:  ("birthdaysresource.desktop", "contactsresource.desktop", "icalresource.desktop", "imapresource.desktop", "kabcresource.desktop", "kcalresource.desktop", "knutresource.desktop", "kolabproxyresource.desktop", "localbookmarksresource.desktop", "maildirresource.desktop", "maildispatcheragent.desktop", "mboxresource.desktop", "microblog.desktop", "mtdummyresource.desktop", "nepomukcalendarfeeder.desktop", "nepomukcontactfeeder.desktop", "nepomuktagresource.desktop", "nntpresource.desktop", "notesresource.desktop", "pop3resource.desktop", "vcarddirresource.desktop", "vcardresource.desktop")
search paths:  ("/usr/local/bin", "/usr/bin", "/bin", "/opt/bin", "/usr/i686-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/4.5.1", "/usr/games/bin")
PLUGINS inserting:  "akonadi_birthdays_resource" 0 ("Resource")
PLUGINS inserting:  "akonadi_contacts_resource" 0 ("Resource")
PLUGINS inserting:  "akonadi_ical_resource" 0 ("Resource")
PLUGINS inserting:  "akonadi_imap_resource" 0 ("Resource")
PLUGINS inserting:  "akonadi_kabc_resource" 0 ("Resource")
PLUGINS inserting:  "akonadi_kcal_resource" 0 ("Resource")
PLUGINS inserting:  "akonadi_knut_resource" 0 ("Resource")
PLUGINS inserting:  "akonadi_kolabproxy_resource" 0 ("Resource", "Unique", "NoConfig")
PLUGINS inserting:  "akonadi_localbookmarks_resource" 0 ("Resource")
PLUGINS inserting:  "akonadi_maildir_resource" 1 ("Resource")
PLUGINS inserting:  "akonadi_maildispatcher_agent" 0 ("Unique", "Autostart", "NoConfig")
PLUGINS inserting:  "akonadi_mbox_resource" 0 ("Resource")
PLUGINS inserting:  "akonadi_microblog_resource" 0 ("Resource")
PLUGINS inserting:  "akonadi_mailtransport_dummy_resource" 0 ("Resource", "MailTransport")
PLUGINS inserting:  "akonadi_nepomuk_calendar_feeder" 0 ("Unique", "NoConfig")
PLUGINS inserting:  "akonadi_nepomuk_contact_feeder" 0 ("Unique", "Autostart", "NoConfig")
PLUGINS inserting:  "akonadi_nepomuktag_resource" 0 ("Resource", "Virtual", "Unique", "NoConfig")
PLUGINS inserting:  "akonadi_nntp_resource" 0 ("Resource")
PLUGINS inserting:  "akonadi_notes_resource" 0 ("Resource")
PLUGINS inserting:  "akonadi_pop3_resource" 0 ("Resource")
PLUGINS inserting:  "akonadi_vcarddir_resource" 0 ("Resource")
PLUGINS inserting:  "akonadi_vcard_resource" 0 ("Resource")
PLUGINS:  "/usr/share/akonadi/agents"
PLUGINS:  ("birthdaysresource.desktop", "contactsresource.desktop", "icalresource.desktop", "imapresource.desktop", "kabcresource.desktop", "kcalresource.desktop", "knutresource.desktop", "kolabproxyresource.desktop", "localbookmarksresource.desktop", "maildirresource.desktop", "maildispatcheragent.desktop", "mboxresource.desktop", "microblog.desktop", "mtdummyresource.desktop", "nepomukcalendarfeeder.desktop", "nepomukcontactfeeder.desktop", "nepomuktagresource.desktop", "nntpresource.desktop", "notesresource.desktop", "pop3resource.desktop", "vcarddirresource.desktop", "vcardresource.desktop")
Akonadi server is now operational.
[/usr/bin/akonadi_nepomuk_contact_feeder] Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
[/usr/bin/akonadi_maildispatcher_agent] akonadi_maildispatcher_agent(2643)/libakonadi Akonadi::DefaultResourceJob::slotResult: "Unknown resource"
[/usr/bin/akonadi_maildispatcher_agent] akonadi_maildispatcher_agent(2643)/libakonadi Akonadi::SpecialCollectionsRequestJobPrivate::resourceScanResult: Failed to request resource "akonadi_maildir_resource_0" : "Unknown error. (Unknown resource)"
[/usr/bin/akonadi_maildispatcher_agent] akonadi_maildispatcher_agent(2643)/libakonadi Akonadi::ResourceScanJob::Private::fetchResult: "Unknown resource"
[/usr/bin/akonadi_maildispatcher_agent] akonadi_maildispatcher_agent(2643) OutboxQueue::Private::localFoldersRequestResult: Failed to get outbox folder.

Last edited by wrc1944 on Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
albright
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Where should I put the script?

put it wherever you like - then use the kde systemsettings to set
it as a auto startup item
step
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the instructions. I'll see if I can get it running.

If not, big fat "F*** YOU!" greetings must go to akonadi team and all those people who fracked up the kmail, followed by ... -C kmail

"semantic desktop" ha ha ha, what a pathetic joke!
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone should make a kmail-lite, then when everyone's moved over to that, the existing kmail can be renamed to klotusnotes. :lol:
der bastler
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

step wrote:
Thank you for all the instructions. I'll see if I can get it running.

If not, big fat "F*** YOU!" greetings must go to akonadi team and all those people who fracked up the kmail, followed by ... -C kmail

"semantic desktop" ha ha ha, what a pathetic joke!

Well, this whole thou-shalt-use-Akonadi strategy made me reconsider my standard applications. I migrated from Kontact to Firefox/Thunderbird via Sylpheed-Claws (Claws is nice, but I missed some address book features):

KMail -> Thunderbird
KAddressbook -> Thunderbird
Akregator -> Firefox + NewsFox
Calendar -> Thunderbird/Lightning

Oh, and because Amarok insisted on running a MySQL server it was replaced by Clementine. Simple as it is... :twisted:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: