Threaded programming in C++ with the Boost Libraries
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Katherine1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Threaded programming in C++ with the Boost Libraries Reply with quote

I am trying to figure out threading with the Boost libraries. I currently have some code that, from what I've seen in the resources I've been looking at, should work. IT doesn't compile, however. Here is my code:

Code:
#include <boost/thread.hpp>
#include <stdio.h>

void testThread() {
    printf("Hello World");
}

int main(int argc, char *argv[]) {

boost::thread threadTest(testThread);
    threadTest.join();

return 0;
}

Here is the compiler output for this code:

$ g++ test.cpp -o test
Code:
/tmp/ccfY35Np.o: In function `main':
test.cpp:(.text+0x45): undefined reference to `boost::thread::join()'
test.cpp:(.text+0x56): undefined reference to `boost::thread::~thread()'
test.cpp:(.text+0x72): undefined reference to `boost::thread::~thread()'
/tmp/ccfY35Np.o: In function `boost::detail::thread_data_base::thread_data_base()':
test.cpp:(.text._ZN5boost6detail16thread_data_baseC2Ev[boost::detail::thread_data_base::thread_data_base()]+0x26): undefined reference to `vtable for boost::detail::thread_data_base'
/tmp/ccfY35Np.o: In function `boost::thread::thread<void (*)()>(void (*)(), boost::disable_if<boost::is_convertible<void (*&)(), boost::detail::thread_move_t<void (*)()> >, boost::thread::dummy*>::type)':
test.cpp:(.text._ZN5boost6threadC1IPFvvEEET_NS_10disable_ifINS_14is_convertibleIRS4_NS_6detail13thread_move_tIS4_EEEEPNS0_5dummyEE4typeE[boost::thread::thread<void (*)()>(void (*)(), boost::disable_if<boost::is_convertible<void (*&)(), boost::detail::thread_move_t<void (*)()> >, boost::thread::dummy*>::type)]+0x42): undefined reference to `boost::thread::start_thread()'
/tmp/ccfY35Np.o: In function `boost::detail::thread_data<void (*)()>::~thread_data()':
test.cpp:(.text._ZN5boost6detail11thread_dataIPFvvEED1Ev[boost::detail::thread_data<void (*)()>::~thread_data()]+0x1f): undefined reference to `boost::detail::thread_data_base::~thread_data_base()'
/tmp/ccfY35Np.o: In function `boost::detail::thread_data<void (*)()>::~thread_data()':
test.cpp:(.text._ZN5boost6detail11thread_dataIPFvvEED0Ev[boost::detail::thread_data<void (*)()>::~thread_data()]+0x1f): undefined reference to `boost::detail::thread_data_base::~thread_data_base()'
/tmp/ccfY35Np.o:(.rodata._ZTIN5boost6detail11thread_dataIPFvvEEE[typeinfo for boost::detail::thread_data<void (*)()>]+0x10): undefined reference to `typeinfo for boost::detail::thread_data_base'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

From what I can guess, it looks like I'm missing a header file, despite the fact that boost/thread.hpp should be the only header file I need to use the boost threads.
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a linker error. The linker can't find the functions declared in the headers (thread::join() and so on). You need to link the boost threading library. Something like this:

Code:
g++ test.cpp -o test -lboost_thread-mt

That might not be right library name (boost_thread-mt), so if it doesn't work just substitute the proper name.
Katherine1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. That worked. Thank you :3
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: