Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Is there anything special about PPC and X config?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cayenne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:54 am    Post subject: Is there anything special about PPC and X config? Reply with quote

I'm following the X guide.

I've run into a problem and have a desktop link open:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-864611.html

Just wanting to know...is there anything special about the PPC (iBook G3) with regard to the KMS section??

Thank you,

cayenne :(
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, KMS doesn't really work well on PowerPC. You'll lose the ability to sleep and the ability to change the backlight level.
cayenne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoseJX wrote:
Yeah, KMS doesn't really work well on PowerPC. You'll lose the ability to sleep and the ability to change the backlight level.

Great..so, what parts do I skip now for xorg?

At this point (see other thread)..I've removed all the parts in the kernel pertaining to graphic cards per the xorg document...did a make and make modules install...rebooted to try xorg conig...and now.
I cannot even see the console..at start of boot just after telling yaboot what to load...screen goes totally blank and never comes back.

I can now only boot from livecd...and chroot into the thing.

I tried the booting with the previous kernel...but for some reason.it goes blank screen on boot too.

*sigh*...gentoo is getting difficult these days...

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

c
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, first of all, pretty much anything you get from the other forums that's hardware related is likely to be wrong. :) In the other thread, he's recommending that you turn on the VGA console, which is never going to work on PowerPC.

I would recommend turning back on the radeon framebuffer (and perhaps the r128 framebuffer, I don't remember what's in the G3 iBook). The FAQ link (in my signature) should get you up and running. Once you have the correct framebuffer, the program xac should set up X for you.

Make sure that you've installed a terminal program and/or a Desktop environment so that you have something to run when you get X set up correctly.
cayenne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoseJX wrote:
Well, first of all, pretty much anything you get from the other forums that's hardware related is likely to be wrong. :) In the other thread, he's recommending that you turn on the VGA console, which is never going to work on PowerPC.

I would recommend turning back on the radeon framebuffer (and perhaps the r128 framebuffer, I don't remember what's in the G3 iBook). The FAQ link (in my signature) should get you up and running. Once you have the correct framebuffer, the program xac should set up X for you.

Make sure that you've installed a terminal program and/or a Desktop environment so that you have something to run when you get X set up correctly.

Thank you, you've given me a place to start up again from.

I'm going to be using KDE as my desktop environment.
Massimo B.
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what Debian says about KMS and PowerPC.
Sleep does not work so far (any information when this will be fixed?).
There is nothing about that backlight level is broken. While I could live without sleeping :) I can't abandon backlight levelling.

About the framebuffer... KMS should completely replace the radeon framebuffer and does only work if the radeon framebuffer is disabled. I'll try that soon...
Massimo B.
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, KMS and libata seems not to work side by side on the PowerBook, as discussed here.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: