[SOLVED] grub and UUID
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingfame_147
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] grub and UUID Reply with quote

Hi,

does anybody has an idea why I can't use UUID with my grub?

Code:

title Gentoo Linux 2.6.35-r4
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.35-gentoo-r4 root=UUID=5ff86376-732b-48c1-a384-e2fbdd7a5727 video=2560x1600
savedefault

Code:

scooter ~ # grub --version
grub (GNU GRUB 0.97)

Code:

scooter by-uuid # blkid | grep sdb4
/dev/sdb4: UUID="5ff86376-732b-48c1-a384-e2fbdd7a5727" UUID_SUB="af3c37dc-4d8e-4a11-946d-ba8410c4937c" TYPE="btrfs"

I've no clue why it doesn"t work.

Thanks for your thoughts on that one.

Regards,
fame

Last edited by kingfame_147 on Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not using an initrd, that's your issue. UUID and LABEL stuff is not handled by the kernel, it's handled inside the initrd, which converts UUID or LABEL into the appropriate /dev/sdXY
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingfame_147,

The kernel does not understand UUID itself. You need an initrd to make that work, so you can call mount before the root filesystem is mounted.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
kingfame_147
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the gentoo kernel uses some kind of default initrd which is inside the kernel.

I used busybox some time ago to mount / as an aes encrypted device, but there were no UUID available per default, I had to create those links by myself inside the init script using blkid etc.
What kind of initrd should I use for that task? I only want to use UUID/LABEL, nothing more :)

Edit:
Ok, I found the gentoo initrd guide with the information I need. Thanks for the help.
I thought that those uuids are avaible per default, like in centos etc. I was wrong :)
kingfame_147
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

back again with a new problem :D

I setup my busybox with a init script etc.
The problem now is that within the busybox the UUID from the root device isn't there. If I boot into the busybox and do a 'blkid' all devices are there expect the root device o_0 Therefore 'findfs' can't find the device with the given UUID. Any idea?

I'm using mdev like mentioned in the tutorial. /dev/sdb4 (which is my root device) is avaible in the busybox and I can boot normaly when using root=/dev/sdb4.
After booting the gentoo system blkid shows the UUID of the root device. Btw: The root device uses btrfs as the fs.

Regards,
fame
AdmiralNemo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the Initramfs article on the Gentoo Wiki. It discusses exactly what you want to do.
kingfame_147
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdmiralNemo wrote:
Check out the Initramfs article on the Gentoo Wiki. It discusses exactly what you want to do.

Did you read my last post?

I allready read that article. The problem is that in the busybox 'blkid' doesn't show my root device and therefore 'findfs' can't find the right device for the givcen UUID/LABEL.
xaviermiller
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Did you tried genkernel ? It has an option to use UUIDs to determine root.

And no, genkernel is not only done for dummies ;)
skellr
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If genkernel has support for btrfs that would be quick.

kingfame_147 wrote:
I'm using mdev like mentioned in the tutorial. /dev/sdb4 (which is my root device) is avaible in the busybox and I can boot normaly when using root=/dev/sdb4.
After booting the gentoo system blkid shows the UUID of the root device. Btw: The root device uses btrfs as the fs.

I can't help you with mdev. But another option is to copy the device nodes you need from /dev into your initramfs. cp -a should do it.

And a warning about using busybox. It gives little to no error messages! If you get stuck you might want to try creating your initramfs from the programs on your system like 'bash, blkid, btrfsctl, mount, etc...' They will tell you more about what is going on. Just use ldd to find the libs they need. They are 'big' but this isn't an embedded device. :)
kingfame_147
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skellr wrote:
If genkernel has support for btrfs that would be quick.

kingfame_147 wrote:

I can't help you with mdev. But another option is to copy the device nodes you need from /dev into your initramfs. cp -a should do it.

And a warning about using busybox. It gives little to no error messages! If you get stuck you might want to try creating your initramfs from the programs on your system like 'bash, blkid, btrfsctl, mount, etc...' They will tell you more about what is going on. Just use ldd to find the libs they need. They are 'big' but this isn't an embedded device. :)

That is WAY to mutch work. I only need the initrd for mount / with a UUID/LABEL :)

Copy the device nodes doesn't make sense, because then I can't use UUID/LABEL if the device node changes (booting with a usb device plugged in or something like that).
skellr
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingfame_147 wrote:
Copy the device nodes doesn't make sense, because then I can't use UUID/LABEL if the device node changes (booting with a usb device plugged in or something like that).

I'd at least put /dev/btrfs-controll , or whatever it's named, in there. I wouldn't trust mdev to make it... yet.
kingfame_147
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skellr wrote:
kingfame_147 wrote:

I'd at least put /dev/btrfs-controll , or whatever it's named, in there. I wouldn't trust mdev to make it... yet.

That doesn't help :/ I'm wondering why there is no UUID of that btrfs filesystem if busybox is able to mount it.

I'll do a test: I'll make a btrfs pen drive and look if there is a UUID. If there is none it is definitly a btrfs related problem with the busybox.

Edit:
As I excepted: no UUID for the btrfs pendrive. Seems to be a busybox/btrfs issue. I'll try to talk to the busybox developer.
kingfame_147
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oook, it seems that the "bug" is solved in 1.17.1-r1. I tried it with that new version and the UUID is there :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: