Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dont Panic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enlight wrote:
Second it advantages fs who rather to lay things as they come instead of spreading them to prevent files and directory fragmentation later.

Evaluating the effect of fragmentation in Btrfs is going to be interesting. Btrfs currently has problems with fragmentation on things like MySQL databases. With their COW (Copy On Write) architecture, every time you touch a byte in a database, it causes a section of the file to be relocated on the COW.

You can mount a volume with a 'nodatacow' option, but since Btrfs is not journaled, you're back in the old ext2 days with respect to data integrity on an unclean shutdown (maybe the old ext2 days were't really that bad after all :) ).

Since the current btrfsck will only check the system, and can't fix anything yet, you can get in trouble going with nodatacow.

You do have a defragmentation tool, but I'm told it can't be run recursively, and will only work on the directory it is directly pointed at. This is due to Btrfs' snapshot capability. When you take a snapshot of a directory, only the updated pieces of the file are re-written from then on. So a defrag tool should only be targetted at either the original or the copy. But you can't defrag both unless you make a new copy of the file (which defeats the cool space-saving features of Btrfs snapshots).

It makes sense to me, but that shortcoming really handicaps the usefulness of the online defrag feature. If you don't have some idea of where you are experiencing fragmentation, the defrag tool isn't going to help much.
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems I can`t find any info about when btrfs will be production ready :?
Dont Panic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kollin wrote:
It seems I can`t find any info about when btrfs will be production ready :?

It depends on your definition of "production ready".

Some brave souls are already employing the Btrfs filesystem for important "production-like" roles.

However, the code base is still under heavy development, and will remain so for some time.

Although they make an effort to insure the development won't impact the stability of the code, there is still the possibility that pace of change will cause problems.

For my part, I'd like to see the code base be "feature complete", and for the level of patches and changes to be down to a low roar.

They still have important features to implement, such as a working btrfsck program and RAID 5/6. Although you may not care about RAID 5/6, it's a considerable change that always has the potential to impact other things.
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont Panic wrote:

They still have important features to implement, such as a working btrfsck program and RAID 5/6. Although you may not care about RAID 5/6, it's a considerable change that always has the potential to impact other things.

In my opinion, any RAID level other than 1 should always be implemented in hardware. Software RAID and being "production-ready" kind of doesn't add up in my head.
There is, a not-born, a not-become, a not-made, a not-compounded. If that unborn, not-become, not-made, not-compounded were not, there would be no escape from this here that is born, become, made and compounded. - Gautama Siddharta
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

petrjanda wrote:
Dont Panic wrote:

In my opinion, any RAID level other than 1 should always be implemented in hardware. Software RAID and being "production-ready" kind of doesn't add up in my head.
Then, u haven't tried ZFS's RAID support....:-)
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devsk wrote:
petrjanda wrote:
Dont Panic wrote:

Then, u haven't tried ZFS's RAID support....:-)

You're right, I haven't(although I've used ZFS on Solaris briefly in production, thank god no more...odd things happening with it's snapshot system), but I've tried plenty other SoftRAID implementations in non-production situation and they are not something I'd put my life on the line for.
There is, a not-born, a not-become, a not-made, a not-compounded. If that unborn, not-become, not-made, not-compounded were not, there would be no escape from this here that is born, become, made and compounded. - Gautama Siddharta
idella4
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Since the current btrfsck will only check the system, and can't fix anything yet, you can get in trouble going with nodatacow.

I have read a bit about btrfs and apparently it is flagged as the next generation of the ext family.
I currently have a post re retrieving data from a corrupted btrfsck saved in an image file.
I find it completely unexpected and completely pathetic that after a number of years of development of btrfs that its best efforts are a complete sham.

It can't correctly read the full size of a system.
It is easily broken and brought to its knees with nothing more than copy and delete.
The btrfsck doesn't repair anything that's broken making it not [at least less than] a btrfsck.
etc etc etc.

In short, it's an incompetent failure. How can qualified devs work on such a file system for years and produce such a list of serious misses?
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this does not sound very optimistic :?
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

idella4 wrote:

In short, it's an incompetent failure. How can qualified devs work on such a file system for years and produce such a list of serious misses?

Depends, how much are you paying them?
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant_P wrote:
idella4 wrote:

I think it's safe to say that if btrfs becomes a failure(personally I hope not) in the months/years to come that Linux devs aren't good file system designers. JFS,XFS,ZFS all were contributed by a company, ext2 is based on FFS. The only exceptions is ReiserFS who's developer sits in jail, and Reiser4 that got repeatedly rejected by kernel devs because of being "too different".

A good open source FS developed entirely without commercial backing checkout: HAMMER
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

petrjanda wrote:
Ant_P wrote:
idella4 wrote:

I think it's safe to say that if btrfs becomes a failure(personally I hope not) in the months/years to come that Linux devs aren't good file system designers. JFS,XFS,ZFS all were contributed by a company, ext2 is based on FFS. The only exceptions is ReiserFS who's developer sits in jail, and Reiser4 that got repeatedly rejected by kernel devs because of being "too different".

A good open source FS developed entirely without commercial backing checkout: HAMMER
BTRFS is backed by Oracle, so your point is wrong.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

petrjanda wrote:
Ant_P wrote:
idella4 wrote:

unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any further porting work going on atm:

http://dlorch.github.com/hammer-linux/

at least linux-users have the ability to read hammer-filesystems

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
Dont Panic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devsk wrote:
petrjanda wrote:

Not only is Btrfs backed by Oracle, but I see significant contributers from people at Fujitsu, HP, and RedHat, to name just a couple.

One problem Btrfs has had recently is that it went about four to five months with nothing happening. I'm not 100% sure why this was going on, but very little new development was put in the kernel for the 2.6.35 and 2.6.36 kernels.

Currently, things are moving forward again.

I'm hopeful that many of the perceptions people are talking about in these last few posts are related to this gap in progress.

But I think it's fair to put Btrfs on your watch-list as a project that was expected to be further along by now.
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devsk wrote:
petrjanda wrote:
Ant_P wrote:
idella4 wrote:

I'm not sure if that invalidates or enhances what I said . :?
idella4
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

petrjanda wrote:

I followed a post by devsk as he was testing btrfs and that should be well known by all. devsk's post was a type of into into the btrfs detail.
For fun and interest I am tinkering with it, and devsk you ignored the IM I sent you. Fell back to the reliable NeddySeagoon to reply.
Out of interest I re-ran the test of that post on reiserfs4 and as devsk has pointed it he couldn't break it, and I found it did all the right things.

Just bought a magazine today which has suse-11.3 on the dvd. On reading it, the new suse-11.3 features the new btrfs.
Well, that should be interesting.

Dont Panic wrote:

But I think it's fair to put Btrfs on your watch-list as a project that was expected to be further along by now

Another source says that btrfs is already flagged as the next generation of ext based filesystems for linux, then I find suse has moved.
It's an unreliable fragile under developed experiment. sheesh. Suse must know what they are unleashing!!??!!
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

idella4 wrote:
petrjanda wrote:

I followed a post by devsk as he was testing btrfs and that should be well known by all. devsk's post was a type of into into the btrfs detail.
For fun and interest I am tinkering with it, and devsk you ignored the IM I sent you. Fell back to the reliable NeddySeagoon to reply.
Out of interest I re-ran the test of that post on reiserfs4 and as devsk has pointed it he couldn't break it, and I found it did all the right things.

Just bought a magazine today which has suse-11.3 on the dvd. On reading it, the new suse-11.3 features the new btrfs.
Well, that should be interesting.

Dont Panic wrote:

But I think it's fair to put Btrfs on your watch-list as a project that was expected to be further along by now

Another source says that btrfs is already flagged as the next generation of ext based filesystems for linux, then I find suse has moved.
It's an unreliable fragile under developed experiment. sheesh. Suse must know what they are unleashing!!??!!
idella4, my apologies for not responding to you. I have no idea how I missed the pm you sent me. I never got any email saying I have a PM. anyway, I will read it now.
idella4
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devsk;

ok no worries, you have a new IM and the link. I kind of got there in the end. It was just another gentoo linux learning exercise.
Hmmmmm, in case the IM has a problem, just as well enter it here
Alex Libman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btrfs has some nice features, but it is crippled by default due to restrictive licensing. What I would really like to see is HAMMER filesystem from DragonFly BSD ported to everything in sight -- Loonix, Winblows, MucOS, other BSD's, Solaris, AIX, VMware ESX(i), Haiku OS, etc, etc, etc -- which it can be due to its permissive license, and become the first truly universal ultra-modern FS. This would make it something that no GPL-licensed system can ever achieve - an industry standard, with high-quality proprietary tools like NTFS has pushing innovation forward. Its multi-master clustering and other advanced features would make it the ideal cloud storage standard as well.
soya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, i'mplanning to put my /usr/portage (without /usr/portage/distfiles) on btrfs for better performance, could someone tell me which are the best performance options for mkfs and /etc/fstab?
Thanks in advanced!
ToeiRei
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

compression is nice here as a speed gain. Using it that way since some time.
gringo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

talking about compression, has anyone played around with lzo compression in btrfs ?
i will probably play with it this weekend, was just wondering if anyone had some troubles with it already :-P

cheers !
Dont Panic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gringo wrote:
talking about compression, has anyone played around with lzo compression in btrfs ?

I've patched my kernel to support lzo compression, and it's been working fine for me, so far. It works pretty much as expected. Speed is faster, but compression is less.

I've used it on a secondary Gentoo partition, so I can't say I'm using lzo on a day-in-day-out basis. But I ran my secondary partition through the normal Gentoo workflow (a few dozen emerges and similar operations), and didn't encounter any problems.

It's difficult to say how much testing these patches have seen. Since the 2.6.37_rc process is too far along for a new feature like this, they don't plan on attempting to roll it out until the 2.6.38_rc period.
soya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you post a link to get lzo patch? thx :)
ToeiRei
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a feature in .37(-rc*) so far called free-space caching which should be even more interesting as it should make writing faster on btrfs. Maybe worth watching it.
Dont Panic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soya wrote:
Could you post a link to get lzo patch? thx :)

Li Zefan is the developer who has written the lzo patches.

He has put up a public repository containing his latest btrfs proposals at http://repo.or.cz/w/linux-btrfs-devel.git

For myself, I usually keep an eye on the Mailing List, and pluck selected patches of interest from LKML's patchwork page for Btrfs. I click on a patch of interest, then click on the mbox link to download the patch as a "git format-patch" patch. I usually then apply these to a local git kernel repository I have to play with these git patches.

ToeiRei wrote:
there is a feature in .37(-rc*) so far called free-space caching which should be even more interesting as it should make writing faster on btrfs. Maybe worth watching it.

I've done some benchmarking while testing these patches. I was unable to find any speed improvement while testing with space_cache enabled and disabled. I swapped some emails with the developer of these patches, and he indicated that these patches should not affect performance too much.

I'd be curious if anybody else has a different experience.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 4 of 11

Jump to: