View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:25 pm    Post subject: List of world's most emotional countries [Gallup Poll] Reply with quote

Yup, somebody did this.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2012/11/28/a-color-coded-map-of-the-worlds-most-and-least-emotional-countries/

http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles/2012-11-20/singapore-confronts-an-emotion-deficit
desultory
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody needs to fix their bot, it is posting slow news day "news" from three years ago.
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Post-Soviet countries are consistently among the most stoic. Other than Singapore (and, for some reason, Madagascar and Nepal), the least emotional countries in the world are all former members of the Soviet Union. They are also the greatest consumers of cigarettes and alcohol.

Things are not so rosy in Vladville.
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the bloody hell has happened to England ?

God help us if there's another war.
mi_unixbird
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a pretty sketchy definition of "emotional".

As a speaker of both Dutch and Finnish. I always found this interesting. Dutch and Finnish people are generally known to have fairly stoic facial expressions and lack intonation and I note that my facial expressions become more noted when I speak English. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the grammatical features of the languages. Dutch tends to convey mood significantly more with modal particles, adverbs which are pretty much impossible to translate but do nothing more than convey the surprise, happiness, sadness or whatever of the speaker at the pronounced events and Finnish has a similar system of verbal and noun endings which convey a similar range of emotions. And I know that most Slavic Languages have fairly similar systems.

Which is why I find "have you smiled a lot" to be a poor test of "how emotional". We smile less and have less overt facial expressions because there's no need, the mood of the speaker is baked into the language and thus doesn't need facial expressions to be expressed.

Whenever I speak French I automatically start to talk way more with my hands because the language needs it. It has a fairly rigid word order, not a lot of synonyms and no modal particles so you need to convey your mood with such gestures.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultory wrote:
Somebody needs to fix their bot, it is posting slow news day "news" from three years ago.
Three years? Probably somebody needs to add the date-check into the bot.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mi_unixbird wrote:
That's a pretty sketchy definition of "emotional".

++

I concur. Do you concur, notageek?
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do. Hence the thread. Comments?
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur with mi-unixbird. The definition of "emotional" is sketchy. Therefore, the numbers are meaningless and the chart is nonsense.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... that's certainly one way to look at it but by their definition of "emotional" most the western world is full of self-entitled, whiney people.

And that's a fact. The charts prove it.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
Well... that's certainly one way to look at it but by their definition of "emotional" most the western world is full of self-entitled, whiney people.

And that's a fact. The charts prove it.

Apparently you are not familiar the meaning of the word, "concur".

Besides, you are begging the question. You know what is, right? Begging the question?

It's obviously nonsense. Think about Italians (and other southern Europeans), just for one example. Italians are about the most emotional people on the planet. And, Gallup got completely different results that seem to make more sense. And Hispanics, the French and Spanish. Hey, maybe it's something to do with Catholicism or societal victimization by the Inquisitions!
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're being emotional.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
I think you're being emotional.

You are merely projecting. I am not feeling emotional at all. You are projecting your own emotional state. How often have you heard me tell people in here they have lost control of their omotions? Often. And, you and I both know about your anger management problem.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, again?
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, are you projecting again? Get some mindful breathing mp3s.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm failing to understand your emotional outburst.

The numbers and the conclusion drawn by this poll are certainly counterintuitive, in that I agree with you, which is why I posted this thread here but you've proved the conclusion of this poll to be accurate by flying off the handle here.

What happened? The Starbucks barista served you wrong coffee this morning? Not end of the world, if you'd ask me honestly.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since when did you start speaking colloquial American English? You do know that "fly off the handle" is American three-toothed redneck-speak, right? The term dates back to the early 1800s and is a reference to the way the loosened head of an axe may uncontrollably and dangerously "fly off the handle" going who knows where and striking who knows what.

You know what else may interest you? The first man to put that phrase in published writing was named Thomas Haliburton (see . That makes you a Dick Cheney fan.

So that you can continue, in your role as a Dick Cheney supporter, to make clever use of colloquial American English (good to do now that you are a highfalutin H1B), here are some other colloquial idiomatic expressions which Haliburton invented or made popular in his writings:

…quick as a wink (not be mistaken with Old School's "quicker than a cocaine heartbeat")

Facts are stranger than fiction.

It’s raining cats and dogs.

…six of one, half a dozen of the other

…barking up the wrong tree

…won’t take no for an answer

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. (actually predates condom use)

You can’t get blood out of a stone.

This country is going to the dogs.

The early bird gets the worm.

It’s like looking for a needle in a hay stack.

Never look a gift horse in the mouth.

…a miss is as good as a mile

…mad as a hatter
mi_unixbird
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was once banned from an IRC channel for being a "pretentious twat" for using the word "concur".
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mi_unixbird wrote:
I was once banned from an IRC channel for being a "pretentious twat" for using the word "concur".

I say it occasionally, in homage to this.

You have to first concur yourself, then ask someone else if they also concur (as I did above). You will note that notageek felt compelled to say that, yes, he concurred, despite the fact that, in reality, he did not. This is a useful lesson for important business meetings.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concurred in principle, which is allowed. I've been suspecting the western world, sans the French, are more sensitive and therefore could be called emotional.
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones McCracker wrote:
Since when did you start speaking colloquial American English? You do know that "fly off the handle" is American three-toothed redneck-speak, right? The term dates back to the early 1800s and is a reference to the way the loosened head of an axe may uncontrollably and dangerously "fly off the handle" going who knows where and striking who knows what.

You know what else may interest you? The first man to put that phrase in published writing was named Thomas Haliburton (see . That makes you a Dick Cheney fan.

So that you can continue, in your role as a Dick Cheney supporter, to make clever use of colloquial American English (good to do now that you are a highfalutin H1B), here are some other colloquial idiomatic expressions which Haliburton invented or made popular in his writings:

…quick as a wink (not be mistaken with Old School's "quicker than a cocaine heartbeat")

…mad as a hatter
I think you'll find they're all British English. Like air, light and time.
And another girl to take my pain away...
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butts McCokey wrote:
Bones McCracker wrote:

…mad as a hatter
I think you'll find they're all British English. Like air, light and time.

Each of those phrases are found in print for the first time in Dick Cheney's book... eh... I mean Thomas Haliburton's "Sam Slick" book series. Haliburton was a Canadian, but Canadians use American English. The reason you think these are British English are because his books were just as popular in England as they were in the U.S. and Canada.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, these are all English phrases and are known in the English speaking world. If an American were responsible for these phrases, then good for you. It shows evidence that America spoke English long time ago.

Let this be an opportunity for you to get back to your English roots.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
Sorry, these are all English phrases and are known in the English speaking world.

They are now. You need not apologize for saying something that does not conflict with my position.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones McCracker wrote:
notageek wrote:
Sorry, these are all English phrases and are known in the English speaking world.

They are now. You need not apologize for saying something that does not conflict with my position.
I'm sorry that you've such a myopic view of everything.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: