Are MRE's this bad?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
McWylie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject: Are MRE's this bad? Reply with quote

Linky
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way better than old fashioned C-Rats.

There is no god but Bach, Beethoven is the messenger of Bach.
McSwartz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some MREs taste better than others. I recall liking the Vegetarian Omelet quite a bit. I don't recall having any issues with them in the outhouse, either, although that's definitely the conventional wisdom in the USMC. I believe the gum they include acts as a laxative to counter this. I always chewed the gum.
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MRE's are like emerge foo-bin; it's easy, should always install and you don't need to know what's inside!
patrix_neo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try fostering a cow, a pig, goat and a lamb.
Farm a land of carrots, blue berries, straw berries and weet.

Then use them on a plate for dinner.

The animals you can have a synthesizer for their farting. Selling "fart-in-a-can" and label it "ecological. the fun way!"

Cheese? I got those, you say.
Christmas? I'm all set, you say.
Milk, Youghurt, or ice cream? I got those, you say.

You got all/the most in an MRE...

Do the hard work, make me proud.

Or you can always use the tree of burgers...they grow on trees now. Very techy techy...
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McSwartz wrote:
Some MREs taste better than others. I recall liking the Vegetarian Omelet quite a bit. I don't recall having any issues with them in the outhouse, either, although that's definitely the conventional wisdom in the USMC. I believe the gum they include acts as a laxative to counter this. I always chewed the gum.

Another myth. It used to be conventional wisdom that they put salt peter in them to keep you from getting horny. That one goes back to C-rat days.

They make some people constipated because:

a. they have lower water content than regular food, to reduce their size and weight; you're supposed to drink plenty of water. They also contain some dehydrated components (or used to at least), and troops often just munch those rather than bothering to rehydrate them.

b. they contain a lot of food; literally a shit-load. They're designed to be enough for somebody who is busting their ass, and when troops are laying around doing nothing and they eat a whole one out of habit and boredom, they're actually eating too much. MREs have twice the calories that somebody living a normal life needs.

And people complain about other digestive phenomenon related to the fact that you eat a lot of the same thing after a while, and everybody eats the same stuff. For example, it's a bit unnerving when you recognize your buddy's fart because it smells just like yours did after you ate the MRE cheese and crackers, which is present in like every other meal (or used to be anyway).
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones McCracker wrote:
b. they contain a lot of food; literally a shit-load. They're designed to be enough for somebody who is busting their ass, and when troops are laying around doing nothing and they eat a whole one out of habit and boredom, they're actually eating too much. MREs have twice the calories that somebody living a normal life needs.
They may contain a lot of calories, but the physical quantity isn't that much. And lacking additional protein to balance the calories, they don't even last a long time before "hunger" returns.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: