[Solved] KVM guests occassionally hang :S
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rauar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: [Solved] KVM guests occassionally hang :S Reply with quote

Hi, couldn't find any related topics. So here goes the problem:

I've 5 Linux (Ubuntu 9.04) guests running on KVM and managed by libvirtd. However since a while (really not sure since when but I would say 3-4 months) the guests sporadically fail to start when booting the host. It's hard to get them all up and running properly. Failing here means: most of them are not reachable via ssh nor pingable - no DHCP requests coming from the guests as well.

"virsh list" hangs on output (showing none of the guests or sometimes 1-2 of them and then hangs in between the list of guests). Stopping the guests hangs as well - most often like that a hard reset is necessary. Even the terminal on the host where the virsh commands are executed starts hanging but returns after a while.

If I would have to guess I'd say it's somewhere a bug in between the kernel moduls and libvirt. Qemu logs show no errors except the used command to start the guest and IN/OUT records when stopping the guest.

Installed versions:

app-emulation/kvm-kmod-2.6.34.1
app-emulation/libvirt-0.8.2-r1
app-emulation/qemu-kvm-0.12.5
sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-2.6.30.9
sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-2.6.32.9
sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-2.6.34

Linux athene 2.6.34 #3 SMP Sun Jul 18 00:12:52 CEST 2010 i686 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

I tried to delete all interface tags in the libvirt guest config so that they get recreated to make sure it's not a problem with a broken config due to the age of the guests (2 years round about). Reduced the autostart to one single VM and even this single guest hangs 50% of the restarts or even more.

Anyone with the same experiences with this combo ? The stuff was running rock-solid a while ago.

Regards, Alex

Last edited by rauar on Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
rauar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Seems to be solved Reply with quote

Libvirt's saving of the VM state caused the problems. Saved VM dumps couldn't be loaded again (causing the hangs).

Disabled it and properly shutting down the VMs now (check /etc/conf.d/libvirtd). This was the original behavior somewhen in the past anyway. Rock-solid and lightning fast VMs now again.

Alex
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: