Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
odeSolver
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StupidUser wrote:
Also, for other new users, beware the "Page forward" and "Page backward" keys that come on some new keyboards for use with browsers. If you press them, you are exited out of your LiveCD session and put back to the 'livecd #' prompt.

BradN wrote:
Those page forward and page backwards keys are probably sending alt+left and alt+right - these are shortcuts that switch between virtual terminals when in text mode. The normal way to switch between them is ctrl+alt+f1, ctrl+alt+f2, ctrl+alt+f3, etc... if you're in text mode you don't need to hold ctrl, but when switching out of X you do. So it wasn't really exiting you out of what you were doing, it was just switching to a different screen - alt+f1 would have gotten you back.

You're right. Cool feature! Now I can have more than one terminal open at a time so I can read help files in one while doing the work in the other. I have six terminals in a loop. Sweet.

Last edited by odeSolver on Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
mount: special device /dev/BOOT does not exist
Says you need to edit /etc/fstab and replace the placeholders ROOT, BOOT, SWAP with the device names for your partitions, probably /dev/hda3, /dev/hda1, /dev/hda2 after genkernel.
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to end the sysfs error, reconfigure the kernel:
Code:
genkernel --oldconfig --menuconfig all
in the menuconfig dialog, find:
Quote:
General setup --->
and use enter to select it, then find (down arrow to)
Quote:
[*] enable deprecated sysfs features to support old userspace tools
type n to deselect, you should then see:
Quote:
[ ] enable deprecated sysfs features to support old userspace tools
select exit (right arrow) and enter twice to resume building the kernel and initramfs
odeSolver
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
Quote:
mount: special device /dev/BOOT does not exist
Says you need to edit /etc/fstab and replace the placeholders ROOT, BOOT, SWAP with the device names for your partitions, probably /dev/hda3, /dev/hda1, /dev/hda2 after genkernel.

I have (for now), put my whole Linux install on one partition. Here is what I get when I do fdisk -l:

Code:
/dev/hda1       ...Compaq diagnostics
/dev/hda2   *   ...HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda3   *   ...Linux

In /etc/fstab, I replaced BOOT, ROOT, and SWAP with hda3. So it now reads:

Code:
/dev/hda3      /boot         ext2      noauto,noatime   1 2
/dev/hda3      /             ext3      noatime      0 1
/dev/hda3      none          swap      sw         0 0
/dev/cdrom     /mnt/cdrom    auto      noauto      0 0

Thanks DOAHUE.
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

change that to:
Quote:
/dev/hda3 / ext3 noatime 0 1

A nasty loop would be built by:
Quote:
/dev/hda3 /boot ext2 noauto,noatime 1 2
/dev/hda3 / ext3 noatime 0 1
/dev/hda3 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto noauto 0 0

with no swap partition no swap entry
leave cdrom out and let udev handle it (optional)
odeSolver
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I did what you said. But did you leave out a column? Should it have been this?
Code:
/dev/hda3   /   ext3   noatime   0 1

See the extra slash in there?

Also, I'm going to hold off on reconfiguring the kernel if I can. I have moved passed that part of the install and I'm not sure how it will effect things.

How do I decide which kernel modules I want to load (section 7.e of the Install Handbook)?

Thanks again.
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the extra slash in there? --> They look the same here. It's good.

I have moved passed that part of the install and I'm not sure how it will effect things. --> It won't affect things; Independent of other steps. OK to skip, sysfs error seems harmless, just annoying.

section 7.e of the Install Handbook --> Skip it, needed in 2006, udev now takes care of it functionally.
odeSolver
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
See the extra slash in there? --> They look the same here. It's good.

I have moved passed that part of the install and I'm not sure how it will effect things. --> It won't affect things; Independent of other steps. OK to skip, sysfs error seems harmless, just annoying.

section 7.e of the Install Handbook --> Skip it, needed in 2006, udev now takes care of it functionally.

I misread. I though you had /dev/hda3 ext3 (I think I read it as "/dev/hda3/" (no space) and my mind saw "/dev/hda3" (no slash)

At any rate, my current /etc/fstab:
Code:
/dev/hda3  /          ext3 noatime   0 1
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,ro 0 0

S'more questions:

It seems my CDRom is being mounted as readonly. I have write capability on it. Should I remove the ",ro" on the /dev/cdrom?

Do I need "config_eth0=( "dhcp" )" in /etc/conf.d/net? I think not, but am not sure from the documentation. Note that networking worked "out of the box" for the LiveCD and that I'm using the gentoo-sources kernel (which is the same as the LiveCD kernel).

My hosts file has a strange looking line which is not mentioned in the handbook:
Code:
::1 localhost

I think that will not be a problem. Am I right?

In /etc/conf.d/clock, how do I know if my hardware is using UTC. From the install handbook:
Quote:
If your hardware clock is not using UTC, you need to add CLOCK="local" to the file.

If my hardware is not using UTC, do I add this line, in addition to the one that says CLOCK="UTC", as the handbood says, or replace "UTC" with "local"?

I'm currently emerging syslog-ng. If I later decide to go to a different logger - or no logger at all - is there away to unemerge it? That is, to delete all extraneous files that are no longer needed once it's uninstalled?

Thanks.
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems my CDRom is being mounted as readonly. I have write capability on it. Should I remove the ",ro" on the /dev/cdrom? --> I don't use the cdrom line in fstab, udev automount has problems with it

Do I need "config_eth0=( "dhcp" )" in /etc/conf.d/net? I think not, but am not sure from the documentation. Note that networking worked "out of the box" for the LiveCD and that I'm using the gentoo-sources kernel (which is the same as the LiveCD kernel). --> No, if it is otherwise empty or all comments. You will need to emerge a dhcp/dhcp client; covered in handbook. Networking will require no setup if wired and using dhcp. You may need to add driver(s) in kernel though.

My hosts file has a strange looking line which is not mentioned in the handbook:
Code:
::1 localhost --> for ipv6

I think that will not be a problem. Am I right? --> right

In /etc/conf.d/clock, how do I know if my hardware is using UTC. From the install handbook: --> Did you set clock in BIOS to GMT (UTC) or to your local time?
Quote:
If your hardware clock is not using UTC, you need to add CLOCK="local" to the file.

If my hardware is not using UTC, do I add this line, in addition to the one that says CLOCK="UTC", as the handbood says, or replace "UTC" with "local"? --> replace

I'm currently emerging syslog-ng. If I later decide to go to a different logger - or no logger at all - is there away to unemerge it? That is, to delete all extraneous files that are no longer needed once it's uninstalled? --> Yes
emerge --unmerge syslog-ng removes the package and obvious orphan packages; emerge -av --depclean (which requires great caution in use) finds and removes orphan packages if the unmerge leaves some.
odeSolver
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Yet more questions Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
It seems my CDRom is being mounted as readonly. I have write capability on it. Should I remove the ",ro" on the /dev/cdrom? --> I don't use the cdrom line in fstab, udev automount has problems with it

OK, I commented that out, too.

DONAHUE wrote:
Do I need "config_eth0=( "dhcp" )" in /etc/conf.d/net? I think not, but am not sure from the documentation. Note that networking worked "out of the box" for the LiveCD and that I'm using the gentoo-sources kernel (which is the same as the LiveCD kernel). --> No, if it is otherwise empty or all comments. You will need to emerge a dhcp/dhcp client; covered in handbook. Networking will require no setup if wired and using dhcp. You may need to add driver(s) in kernel though.

Well, I did add
Code:
dns_domain_lo="jeffnet"

to /etc/conf.d/net :D

what does 'out of all pty device' (or something similar) mean? It was a warning or error message which scrolled by when I did 'emerge dhcpcd'. I got several warnings while emerging grub, too. I'm guessing they are all not significant.

Should I follow the handbook instructions for installing grub if I am trying to install dual boot to a system that already has WinXP on it?

Thanks for all your answers. My install continues.
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe adding config_eth0=( "dhcp" ) in /etc/conf.d/net removes an extra message that appears during boot saying a default was used for the configuration, but it's just cosmetic.

I don't think the ro option has any effect in fstab for cdroms (they're read-only anyway but may be a hint to desktop environments that the device is always read only), unless you happen to use a UDF formatted RW disc (or an uncommon dvd-ram disc) - this is the only way a cd/dvd can be written from the filesystem (otherwise a cd burning program uses a different mechanism that bypasses /etc/fstab for this). Writing to UDF formatted discs is awkward and formatting them only works with older drives (linux apparently doesn't have a utility that supports the command newer drives use to do this).

I don't know how udev/hal works with automounting and how a /etc/fstab entry for the cd relates to it - I don't use automounting.

If you decide to add a swap file, you'd re-add the swap line (assuming /swap is the location you created it at) as:
/swap none swap sw 0 0

Clock: If you're dual booting with windows, you must use "local" - windows doesn't support hardware clock with UTC (but it certainly should support this - it makes more sense and solves daylight savings time confusion since the hardware clock can be unchanged for daylight savings and the OS returns the correct time automatically according to the day of year). There's no good way to handle daylight savings with local time and more than one OS - either they both try to change it and it'll be off an hour, or one changes it but the other OS's time is off by an hour until you boot into the one that changes it. Of course Microsoft doesn't want you running another OS to start with. What a mess.

The extra ::1 localhost line in /etc/hosts is only there for IPv6 support - if you don't use IPv6 it won't have any effect.

Last edited by BradN on Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dns_domain_lo="jeffnet" --> delete it, it will cause /etc/resolv.conf to be overwritten with garbage

Should I follow the handbook instructions for installing grub if I am trying to install dual boot to a system that already has WinXP on it? --> yes, recommend against grub-install
Code:
grub
root (hd0,2)
setup (hd0)
quit

Code:
ls -l
Read the name of your kernel and initramfs and use exactly in grub.conf.
/boot/grub/grub.conf (replace the ? with values found with ls -l):
Quote:
default 0
timeout 30
#splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title Gentoo Linux 2.6.31-r6
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.3?-gentoo-r? root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/hda3
initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.3?-gentoo-r?

# Only in case you want to dual-boot
title Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
#makeactive
chainloader +1

# Only in case you want to dual-boot the windows/Compaq diagnostics thing
title Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
#makeactive
chainloader +1
odeSolver
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
dns_domain_lo="jeffnet" --> delete it, it will cause /etc/resolv.conf to be overwritten with garbage

Really? What about my setting in /etc/conf.d/hostname which says HOSTNAME="jeffux" (I need to distinguish this system from whatever name my XP system has). What should I put for those two variables? The handbook says I should change them, and I don't remember what was there before (yes, I did not use the golden rule of programming: don't delete - comment!)

Why recommend against using grub? Remember, I'm brand new to Linux (and Unix), have already taken a week to do this install (so far) and have lots to learn already. If learning and installing a different bootloader than the handbook recommends will take more time, I will stick with the default grub for now.

Last edited by odeSolver on Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOSTNAME="jeffux" --> no problem

dns_domain_lo="jeffnet" --> scews up resolv.conf --> do not put in /etc/conf.d/net

Why recommend against using grub? --> use grub, but when setting up the MBR don't use grub-install command use grub command as shown.
so
Code:
emerge grub

then
Code:
grub
root (hd0,2)
setup (hd0)
exit

use the grub.conf I gave you

Last edited by DONAHUE on Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
odeSolver
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
HOSTNAME="jeffux" --> no problem

dns_domain_lo="jeffnet" --> scews up resolv.conf --> do not put in /etc/conf.d/net

OK. So here is what I have now:

/etc/conf.d/hostname
HOSTNAME-"jeffux"

/etc/conf.d/net
# all comments (the file is essentially empty)

/etc/conf.d/net
127.0.0.1 jeffux.jeffnet jeffux localhost

In /etc/conf.c/net, what should I put in place of '.jeffnet'
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/etc/conf.d/net
# all comments (the file is essentially empty) --> good

/etc/conf.d/net --> TYPO?? --> good if in /etc/hosts --> not good if in /etc/conf.d/net
127.0.0.1 jeffux.jeffnet jeffux localhost

Explanation: dns_domain_lo="jeffnet" will cause all info in /etc/resolv.conf to be overwritten by "search jeffnet "; this will cause a dns request to be routed to the dns server for the local domain jeffnet; as there is neither a local domain jeffnet nor a local dns server on it a lot of "could not find foo.com" messages will result.

Last edited by DONAHUE on Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you mean /etc/hosts for the last one, you can just omit jeffux.jeffnet entirely.

That file is formatted basically like:

(Return this IP address) (for this host name) (and this one) (and this...)

If you have a good router, other host names should be accessible automagically (being registered during dhcp), but if for some reason they don't work, you can add your other computers into the hosts file (but then you will want to assign them static IP's).
odeSolver
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the network changes you guys recommended. (Yes, that was a typo: last file was /etc/hosts).

DONAHUE wrote:
Should I follow the handbook instructions for installing grub if I am trying to install dual boot to a system that already has WinXP on it? --> yes, recommend against grub-install
Code:
grub
root (hd0,2)
setup (hd0)
quit

Following is what I have for grub.conf, which I inferred from the handbook, but before reading your reply.

But first, can I just use grub-install instead of the code you gave me? Does grub-install work with dual-boot systems?

How come your grub.conf uses (hd0,0) for Linux, but uses 'root (hd0,2)' inside grub? I'm guessing that was just a typo.

Current grub.conf
default 0
timeout 30
splashimage=(hd0,3)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title Gentoo Linux 2.6.34-r1
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.34-gentoo-r1 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/sda3
initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.34-gentoo-r1

title Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

Thanks very much guys (I'm assuming your both guys). I have to go visit my niece and nephew now, so I'll pick this up tomorrow.
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your splashimage line should have (hd0,2) - remember grub's partition numbers are one less than linux reports - hda3 becomes (hd0,2).

You probably want real_root=/dev/hda3 but it's possible that the kernel will use new drivers that emulate SCSI - meaning your hard drive would be sda instead of hda - you'll know when you first try to boot into the system. If it does show up as sda, you'll have to also change /etc/fstab to reflect that.

You should be close to booting into gentoo now :)
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But first, can I just use grub-install instead of the code you gave me? Does grub-install work with dual-boot systems? --> grub-install works well if you have 1 disk partitioned as hda1 boot, hda2 swap, hda3 root other than that I lack trust.

How come your grub.conf uses (hd0,0) for Linux, but uses 'root (hd0,2)' inside grub? I'm guessing that was just a typo. --> good catch. Some day I will read what I write.

Current grub.conf:
Quote:
default 0
timeout 30
splashimage=(hd0,2)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title Gentoo Linux 2.6.34-r1
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.34-gentoo-r1 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/sda3
initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.34-gentoo-r1

title Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
makeactive
chainloader +1

title Windows XP compaq diagnostics
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1
odeSolver
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
How come your grub.conf uses (hd0,0) for Linux, but uses 'root (hd0,2)' inside grub? I'm guessing that was just a typo. --> good catch. Some day I will read what I write.

Nonsense! That's what editors are for. :D

I had a few more minutes before I go, so I made the grub.conf changes suggested. Do I need the one for the Compaq diagnostics? I don't even know what's there or how to use it. I put it in for now, I can always take it out later.

Did the grub setup replace a bootloader that Win had installed? Should I be upset about that? (My guess: yes, no).
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you run the...
setup (hd0)
line, grub will install itself to the first sector of the hard drive (and use some empty space in the rest of the first 32KB to store the filesystem driver) and completely take over the boot sequence. The foolproof way to revert this to the way windows had it is by booting the windows install disc, going to the recovery console, and typing fixmbr (at least on XP). You could also back up your boot sector and restore it later.

To back up the boot sector (MBR) including partition table:
dd if=/dev/hda of=/mnt/gentoo/hda.mbr bs=512 count=1

To restore the boot sector and partition table:
dd if=/mnt/gentoo/hda.mbr of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1

(to do this without restoring the partition table, change 512 to 448 - the partition table is the 64 bytes at the end of the sector. Take out /mnt/gentoo if you're doing this from within the chroot or within gentoo after it's installed)

Knoppix has a utility, "install-mbr" or something along those lines - don't use it because while the MBR it installs does work, it captures the F8 key to use for something else, and you can't get into the windows boot menu.

An alternative to all this is doing...
setup (hd0,2)
which will install grub only to your linux partition, in which case you will need to run fdisk and mark the linux partition as active with the windows partition inactive (window's MBR checks these active flags but grub doesn't). This can be easier to revert back than the first way. The only disadvantage is that you may have to reinstall grub after you update it, if grub's files are no longer in the same spot on disk. This is because when installed to the MBR, grub also puts its filesystem driver in the empty spot right after the MBR, but when installed to a partition there's no empty space for it, so it has to hardcode the location on disk of its filesystem driver into the tiny boot sector to load it.

An advantage of having a separate /boot partition is you can uninstall linux to reclaim the space but keep using grub to boot windows if you want to - most people wouldn't care but there are exotic configurations (mostly with >4 copies of windows or DOS, or booting secondary drives) that grub makes possible.

To sum all this up, my recommendation: Make a backup of your MBR just in case, and let grub install there because it'll probably be less hassle in the long run.
odeSolver
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BradN wrote:
To sum all this up, my recommendation: Make a backup of your MBR just in case, and let grub install there because it'll probably be less hassle in the long run.

Too late. It's not a big loss, though, the Gentoo loader is pretty cool. There's an option to edit the commands before booting which is going to be a good feature when I figure out what all those commands mean.

I can now dual boot into my original WinXP and Gentoo! Woohoo!

I logged into Gentoo using the username 'root'; I still have to read chapter 11. But I have succesfully installed a dual boot Gentoo Linux system. Thanks to everyone in this thread (esp. BradN and DONAHUE). I'm embarrassed that I had to ask so many questions; I am equally impressed by this user community. Maybe someday I will be able to help the next in line to learn Gentoo.
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, it's my way of giving back to the community for the great software I get.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: