Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
truecrypt performance on amd64
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
dermund
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 28 Aug 2007
Posts: 205
Location: Sprawl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: truecrypt performance on amd64 Reply with quote

Hey,

I am going back to gentoo because I miss it...
I'm playing with the thought of doing a amd64 install. Since I have a truecrypt enabled partition I guess there should be a heavy speed gain with IO actions on it.
Does someone has a link of a comparison between amd64 and x86 truecrypt applications to support my guess. Or is someone here who have experienced this behaviour.

Kind regards,
Dermund
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rufnut
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 16 May 2005
Posts: 184

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

You might be better too use an alternative encryption method.

http://www.stoned-vienna.com/

Maybe try this:

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Root_filesystem_over_LVM2,_DM-Crypt_and_RAID

Quote:
I guess there should be a heavy speed gain with IO actions on it.


I guess you mean loss.

It depends on a lot of things, does your CPU have hardware AES hardware ?

I lose about 30% speed on a quad core cpu and about 60% on an intel Atom. Yes 60% :(

Neither have AES support in the CPU.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dermund
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 28 Aug 2007
Posts: 205
Location: Sprawl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi rufnut,

Quote:
You might be better too use an alternative encryption method.
http://www.stoned-vienna.com/


Thanks for the link, I didn't know about that. Interesting...
I've had luks+dm-crypt-partitions in the past, but I found no way to mount them comfortably in window$. Since I still use it sometimes, truecrypt is a compromize.
I don't use it for full-system encryption though.

Quote:
I guess you mean loss.

It depends on a lot of things, does your CPU have hardware AES hardware ?

I lose about 30% speed on a quad core cpu and about 60% on an intel Atom. Yes 60% :(

Neither have AES support in the CPU.


Hmm, I think you perhaps misunderstood me. I don't mean speed comparison between encrypted and unencrypted file transfers but: speed comparison between 32-bit and 64-bit enabled file transfers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rufnut
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 16 May 2005
Posts: 184

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dermund wrote:

Hmm, I think you perhaps misunderstood me. I don't mean speed comparison between encrypted and unencrypted file transfers but: speed comparison between 32-bit and 64-bit enabled file transfers.


Sorry about that, I am not real sure but I think some 32 bit drivers/applications can do 64 bit transfers.
Would be interesting to find out?

dermund wrote:
I've had luks+dm-crypt-partitions in the past, but I found no way to mount them comfortably in window$.


You could look at this one , I don't think it supports ext4 though:

http://www.freeotfe.org/features.html

Good luck with it anyway.
:)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dermund
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 28 Aug 2007
Posts: 205
Location: Sprawl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sorry about that, I am not real sure but I think some 32 bit drivers/applications can do 64 bit transfers.
Would be interesting to find out?


Well if I had a amd64 system already I could make a few tests...
Assumed there is a speed boost on a amd64 system - this would be the only reason, why I would go for a amd64 profile.

Quote:
You could look at this one , I don't think it supports ext4 though:

http://www.freeotfe.org/features.html

Good luck with it anyway.
:)


The containers have ntfs in it - that's quite bitter, but a compromize also. Since it's the only thing windows wants to understand.
I am looking into freeotfe, but it can be quite a pain to change the decryption standard for a whole bunch of data, if you have no spare drives...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 20 Dec 2005
Posts: 5617
Location: Vienna, Austria; Germany; hello world :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The next version of Stoned is currently under development. The next version is going to be more sophisticated than ever. Features:

- 64-bit support based on the implementation of vbootkit 2.0
- infecting all local and physical drives (including USB autorun and native flash drive infection)
- Linux support - experimental
- BIOS persistent infection - experimental



whoa ! that's some real badass in development :o

I hope cryptsetup is secure in the near future
_________________
Unofficial minimal livecd x86/amd64 w/reiser4+truecrypt (by Neo2)
2.6.37.2_plus_v1: BFS, CFS,THP,compaction, zcache or TOI
Hardcore Linux user since 2004 :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dermund
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 28 Aug 2007
Posts: 205
Location: Sprawl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't execized all of the "Stoned Vienna" Site, but - If it's resident in the MBR, all I have to do to prevent the bootkit from being executed is to scan the MBR before every shutdown for malicious code - or am I wrong?!
Thus it would be no real threat for 'alerted' users.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum