AMD microcode/ucode updates?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Atha
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:49 am    Post subject: AMD microcode/ucode updates? Reply with quote

Hi!

http://www.amd64.org/support/microcode.html

Does anyone know if there is a need for microcode updates for recent Phenom II X[0-9] processors?

My AMD Phenom II X6 is brand new. So why do I even ask?
I used to own only Intel processors, and Intel releases new microcode update files from time to time for all of their porcessors, and even if you don't happen to have one of them for which a microcode update is required, it is okay to use this general microcode update file since it's failsafe and won't use the wrong patch on the installed processor anyway. So: it might not help, but it certainly doesn't hurt either.

I know that BIOS updates often also update the processor microcode (ucode). Since Linux has it's own update infrastructure, it should be okay to go this path as well.

Thanks in advance,
A.
aCOSwt
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have followed several BIOS and CPU microcode updates...
Each time expecting things such as new features / enhancements / bugs correction...
Each time finding nothing but... disablings of functionnalities... :?
I... gave up ! :evil:
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: AMD microcode/ucode updates? Reply with quote

Atha wrote:
Hi!

http://www.amd64.org/support/microcode.html

Does anyone know if there is a need for microcode updates for recent Phenom II X[0-9] processors?

My AMD Phenom II X6 is brand new. So why do I even ask?
I used to own only Intel processors, and Intel releases new microcode update files from time to time for all of their porcessors, and even if you don't happen to have one of them for which a microcode update is required, it is okay to use this general microcode update file since it's failsafe and won't use the wrong patch on the installed processor anyway. So: it might not help, but it certainly doesn't hurt either.

I know that BIOS updates often also update the processor microcode (ucode). Since Linux has it's own update infrastructure, it should be okay to go this path as well.

Thanks in advance,
A.

a bit ot: how is that cpu? I'm planning or getting a server and I thought of basing it on that cpu
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: