ethernet connection problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
candistyx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: ethernet connection problems Reply with quote

Today I took my laptop up to the university to try and set up the wireless and connect it to the university network. I failed rather badly at doing that, because in the process I caused the /etc/init.d/net.lo to no longer start (ERROR: not enough args).

Anyway, once I deleted all the wlan0 stuff out of /etc/conf.d/net that problem went away lo and eth0 both start up normally when I boot up my computer. But eth0 is still having problems (I'll worry about wireless later...).

ifconfig looks fine to me, but nothing works. If I ping anything except itself, it says Destination Host Unreachable, it certainly doesn't connect to the internet, does not recognise the LAN and the LAN does not recognise it.

The ip, broadcast, mask and gateway are all set the same as they were before. The dns server is set the same as before - but its irrelevant since it can't even ping ip addresses.

All the files I can remember changing look the same as they did before, although presumably I must have forgotten something or it would work right?

Ah, in /var/log/messages when I restart /etc/init.d/net.eth0 it says:
[ 2650.694058] r8169: eth0: link down
[ 2650.694105] ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready

Which is about the only clue I've been able to find.
Before I went up to the university earlier today it worked fine, same cable, etc.

edit: ok im really confused... it doesn't even work when I boot from a cd. What on earth could I have done?
ziggysquatch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it the same cable in all the testing? Maybe it's a coincidence and the cable is damaged.

That's the only reason I could see it would say link down all of a sudden.

What's the output of ethtool eth0? How does the duplex and speed compare to what it's supposed to be?
candistyx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swapped the cables round between this comp and laptop, this one still connects laptop still doesn't.
ethtool just says the same thing, link detected: no, everything else looks normal. Speed 10Mb/s (slower than the card says but... it is not abnormal for it to say this) Duplex: Half.

You know what, I think this is just a recurrance of this laptop's old ethernet problems from years back... and its just a coincidence that it happened when I was messing about with it. Even the network boot option doesnt recognise when there is a cable in, it must be a hardware thing.

I guess its back to the lame usb-ethernet adaptors.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: