Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Reverse Proxy, worth the trouble to setting up?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pstar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reverse Proxy, worth the trouble to setting up? Reply with quote

Hi, I am trying to setup a reverse proxy for two of my home computers to share a public IP address and same 80 port.

But seems to me that it probably more complexed than I thought. After spend hours trying to figure it out. There
are still problems: I can view the page when my browser pointed to the proxy server, but when I tried to login, after
input user name and password for that webpage, it will try to load the address for the internal server. I believe I need setup
ProxyPassReverseCookiePath and ProxyPassReverseCookieDomain, and after read help page from apache still don't know
how.

After spending almost a whole day in weekend, I am wandering, unless I want to be an expert in apache setting, trying to
figure out reverse proxy for my personal website didn't worth it?
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your post, it sounds like you are trying to use Apache as the reverse proxy on the accessible host. Is this correct? What web servers are on the internal hosts that the reverse proxy is multiplexing? What content are they serving? What exactly do you mean by "it will try to load the address for the internal server"?
pstar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
From your post, it sounds like you are trying to use Apache as the reverse proxy on the accessible host. Is this correct? What web servers are on the internal hosts that the reverse proxy is multiplexing? What content are they serving? What exactly do you mean by "it will try to load the address for the internal server"?

Hi Hu, Sorry for been not clear.

Yes, the reverse proxy is the host been forward port 80 by the gateway, thus provide http service to internet. The internal host is a Apache on Gentoo. I put a Wiki website constructed by PHP with
Javascript and possible AJAX components but no database connection. The authorization is by using cookie I believe.

When I said "it will try to load the address for the internal server", I meant that after I input username and password, it will refresh and trying to load the page with internal hostname instead of the
hostname associated with reverse proxy server which seems are the problem.
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although you may be able to configure the reverse proxy to work around this, that sounds like a bug in the internal site: it is using absolute links to itself, when it should be using relative links. I suggest fixing the internal site not to generate absolute links.
pstar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, been busy for last few days. I will try to look at the website. But it is a Wiki site written with PHP and Javascript by somebodyelse(dukowiki), not sure I will have enough time and knowledge
to do that.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: