Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tranquilcool wrote:
CC lib/decompress_unlzo.o
lib/decompress_unlzo.c:53:24: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘parse_header’
lib/decompress_unlzo.c:90:24: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘unlzo’
make[1]: *** [lib/decompress_unlzo.o] Error 1
make: *** [lib] Error 2

errors zen-unstable.

well, yes

reiser4 is broken again

just remove reiser4 and lzo-support if you don't use it with your initramfs and other things ...

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.6.35-rc-zen is far from being good to use from what i've gathered :O reiser4 should be fine on 2.6.34 (i don't think any of us are working on 2.6.35 right now)
Lost in android development land.
dodo1122
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest the 2.6.35 zen is a bit of a blind work right now as i can't even test it properly - ath9k panics the kernel for me during associating with the ap, and running on a kernel without internet is a bit pointless :D So until that gets resolved upstream things might or might not work properly. I will try to fix stuff I see posted here though.
Waninkoko
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry that zen.git is not very usable right now. We have been very busy and it took me too much time to rebase and merge everything. I could only test that the kernel actually compiles but I couldn't give it a try yet. I hope I can do it soon enough and fix all the remaining problems.
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodo1122 wrote:
To be honest the 2.6.35 zen is a bit of a blind work right now as i can't even test it properly - ath9k panics the kernel for me during associating with the ap, and running on a kernel without internet is a bit pointless :D So until that gets resolved upstream things might or might not work properly. I will try to fix stuff I see posted here though.

you manage to track down an open bug for that with upstream? I've had the same here, and really, ath9k hasn't been stable for me since 2.6.30 (both zen and gentoo sources, the latter both with and without compat-wireless). From disconnect under load to segfaults to panic, I've gotten pretty used to having to rmmod && insmod regularly just to get my internet back
dodo1122
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest ath9k worked great for me on .33 and .34 (although anything before would fuck up big time). And no, i didnt get round to bisecting this, i'll do it when i have some more free time.
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrmm...AR928x ?

I started on .30 for this laptop, up thru .33-zen2. Any sustained load on a Wireless-N network would bugger it all to hell. Sometimes just a disconnect. Usually it would result in strangeness where I was sitting on `mtr` and 3 or 4 of the 12 or so hops I was getting nothing, and when this surfaced network access was non-existent (even though mtr said otherwise). More recently it would dump stack and the driver would become "hung". Couldn't rmmod either. With .34-ck we're back to just disconnects.

Oh well. I think I may be done trying to track it down definitively. Going to just update every once in a while and test, maybe see if I can disable N mode on the card if it's even possible. It's not related to zen anyway. Don't spend any time on my account, I can live with this :)
yoshi314
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

something is going wrong with current zen-stable git.

rebuilt yesterday and cpu started working at a higher temperature than usual, and the fan was very loud. even at idle time (few percent cpu load). it seemed that my cpu was 9C hotter at idle. my money is on zen-tune changes.

can someone verify this on amd processor? (that's what i use)

usually my cpu is 33C at idle. it was ~43C at idle yesterday.
dodo1122
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yoshi314 wrote:
something is going wrong with current zen-stable git.

rebuilt yesterday and cpu started working at a higher temperature than usual, and the fan was very loud. even at idle time (few percent cpu load). it seemed that my cpu was 9C hotter at idle. my money is on zen-tune changes.

can someone verify this on amd processor? (that's what i use)

usually my cpu is 33C at idle. it was ~43C at idle yesterday.

cfs or bfs?
dodo1122
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cach0rr0 wrote:
hrmm...AR928x ?

I started on .30 for this laptop, up thru .33-zen2. Any sustained load on a Wireless-N network would bugger it all to hell. Sometimes just a disconnect. Usually it would result in strangeness where I was sitting on `mtr` and 3 or 4 of the 12 or so hops I was getting nothing, and when this surfaced network access was non-existent (even though mtr said otherwise). More recently it would dump stack and the driver would become "hung". Couldn't rmmod either. With .34-ck we're back to just disconnects.

Oh well. I think I may be done trying to track it down definitively. Going to just update every once in a while and test, maybe see if I can disable N mode on the card if it's even possible. It's not related to zen anyway. Don't spend any time on my account, I can live with this :)

I have a AR5008 card and .11n works good at full speed without any slowdowns on both .33 and .34. Btw you should try madwifi which i readded to zen, apparently it's a lot better than ath9k for a lot of people.
yoshi314
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's on bfs
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yoshi314 wrote:
it's on bfs

<-- my bet is on BFS and perhaps some recent changes (zen-tune, from 316 to 318, etc. etc.)

CFS works fine for me, I'm getting between 18-22°C from lm_sensors (core i7) in idle - so no changes compared to older releases

good luck in finding the problem :)

cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodo1122 wrote:
Btw you should try madwifi which i readded to zen, apparently it's a lot better than ath9k for a lot of people.

Interesting. I'll check it out next pull of zen-stable. For now that laptop is just an expensive alarm clock and neverputt host :lol:

I was under the <presumably mistaken?> impression for atheros madwifi was deprecated with the athN cards. Shows how well I've been paying attention.

Really I'd not even thought of trying madwifi - cool, very cool, cheers for that. The more I type here, the more I get the itch to go do a build this very second.
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yoshi314 wrote:
it's on bfs

I need to know if this occurs only with bfs, and if it occurs on 2.6.34-ck1 (i would assume so if that's the case)
yoshi314
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it seems like it was one-time thing so far.

didn't happen on next two boots. let's just ignore it for now, then. could be some odd hardware issue.
ponciarello
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't really know if useful, but I got crashes and stuttering with mplayer from svn with wip -zen1 (I noticed it mostly there, but this strange lag show also pretty much in everyhting else: all looks ok and fluent with -ck1): trying to discover what's going on I rebuilt mplayer with debug on (as per mplayer docs) and run it into gdb but it doesn't crash (but it keeps stuttering more badly with no output).
having never used gdb before I have no clue how to going on (and if this is the right path to follow to help)... :(

using slackware64-13.1 (gcc 4.4.4, glibc 2.11), config

EDIT: strangely enough, reverting to 2.6.33-zen2 seems to fix: I'm beginning to get confused, to be sure it's not anything related to some mess I can have made, I'll reinstall from scratch and I'll report again...

Last edited by ponciarello on Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wicked. selected hostap (allowing CONFIG_ATHEROS to pop up), enabled, opted for minstrel, blacklisted ath9k, changed wlan0 to ath0 in wicd, and bam - all is well, easy transition

now i just need to dump something on my other box that's on this network that's large enough to get me sustained N-class speeds.
pulling down gentoo livedvd as a test, but with 30mbit downstream pipe only getting 300kByte/s. We will see, I'll do more testing.

It still periodically chokes up with sustained busts, BUT...it seems to recover automatically now. Before it would disconnect and I'd have to unload/reload the driver, fire off another dhcp request. Now it drops down below 100kByte/s, occasionally to 0 even, but recovers, heads on back up to 300ish. As long as the connection doesn't drop completely I am happy, means streaming video/audio doesnt lose its track. And of course if this dvd download completes, I know it's stable enough to bother testing further and seeing how it functions on the LAN.

I will say an annoying sluggishness issue within the UI has gone away on 2.6.34-zen1 that I had on 2.6.33-zen2 and even .34-ck1. I didn't really bother with it, but now I'm back to uber snappy uber happy laptop.

ANYWAY...i always drone on too long, just reporting back that there's a marked improvement in performance of both the wireless and the system in general. Happy customer.
xmixahlx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

current stable head working great here. desktop/preempt

i apply a sata_nv fix for my bluray player (iHOS104) as described in the following thread and wondered if that would be something to consider to add to zen (?):
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/engine?do=post_view_flat;post=1170613;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;list=linux
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ponciarello wrote:
don't really know if useful, but I got crashes and stuttering with mplayer from svn with wip -zen1 (I noticed it mostly there, but this strange lag show also pretty much in everyhting else: all looks ok and fluent with -ck1): trying to discover what's going on I rebuilt mplayer with debug on (as per mplayer docs) and run it into gdb but it doesn't crash (but it keeps stuttering more badly with no output).
having never used gdb before I have no clue how to going on (and if this is the right path to follow to help)... :(

using slackware64-13.1 (gcc 4.4.4, glibc 2.11), config

EDIT: strangely enough, reverting to 2.6.33-zen2 seems to fix: I'm beginning to get confused, to be sure it's not anything related to some mess I can have made, I'll reinstall from scratch and I'll report again...

Do you happen to be using bfs auto_iso ?
ponciarello
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, tried disabling it but with no luck (I had it on from the bfs first releases).
also using schedtool directly with mplayer still show the behaviour above.
but I'm definitely thinking something is borked with my install, so I get the occasion to clean things (no real pain) with a fresh one and will get back reporting after. :)

sorry for the noise and tnx, btw :)
Hwoarang
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

w00t

zen-sources-2.6.34_p1 on tree :)
duryodhana
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At last! I'm syncing now! :D
ponciarello
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, it was definitely something on my side: -zen1 is running fine now :D
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cach0rr0 wrote:

now i just need to dump something on my other box that's on this network that's large enough to get me sustained N-class speeds.
pulling down gentoo livedvd as a test, but with 30mbit downstream pipe only getting 300kByte/s. We will see, I'll do more testing.

It still periodically chokes up with sustained busts, BUT...it seems to recover automatically now. Before it would disconnect and I'd have to unload/reload the driver, fire off another dhcp request. Now it drops down below 100kByte/s, occasionally to 0 even, but recovers, heads on back up to 300ish. As long as the connection doesn't drop completely I am happy, means streaming video/audio doesnt lose its track. And of course if this dvd download completes, I know it's stable enough to bother testing further and seeing how it functions on the LAN.

so it seems I spoke too soon.
starting to wonder if my hardware is rogue. If this is something fixable in the BIOS, I wouldn't know how

pretty much the same thing using ath9k under .33-zen2 happens on .34-zen1 using ath_pci
relevant dmesg output - http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=dFLqyQcQ

It keeps griping about IRQ nonsense. Is there anything in my BIOS that might be worth looking at changing? (just general pointers, I realize there are no psychics who can guess what my BIOS setup looks like)

This is my kernel config if it makes a difference - http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=prBTncBt
Wireless card hardware info - (lspci -kvv and lshw snippets)

card is 04:00.0 0280: 168c:002a (rev 01) but all i can tell from grepping around the kernel sources is indeed it's AR928x. bah

Any pointers or advice even though this has zero to do with the zen patches and likely everything to do with my hardware?

What else is screwy - it ('it' being my wireless connection) drops out intermittently just while I'm using it, and every time it does, I see a new pair of these in dmesg

Code:

[   35.394622] ATL1E 0000:05:00.0: irq 31 for MSI/MSI-X
[   38.027912] ATL1E 0000:05:00.0: irq 31 for MSI/MSI-X
[  239.608422] ATL1E 0000:05:00.0: irq 31 for MSI/MSI-X
[  245.423723] ATL1E 0000:05:00.0: irq 31 for MSI/MSI-X
[  266.613773] ATL1E 0000:05:00.0: irq 31 for MSI/MSI-X
[  271.979848] ATL1E 0000:05:00.0: irq 31 for MSI/MSI-X
[  358.571648] ATL1E 0000:05:00.0: irq 31 for MSI/MSI-X
[  363.890485] ATL1E 0000:05:00.0: irq 31 for MSI/MSI-X
[  630.611495] ATL1E 0000:05:00.0: irq 31 for MSI/MSI-X
[  635.979422] ATL1E 0000:05:00.0: irq 31 for MSI/MSI-X
[  747.609374] ATL1E 0000:05:00.0: irq 31 for MSI/MSI-X
[  753.009860] ATL1E 0000:05:00.0: irq 31 for MSI/MSI-X
<etc>

useful info, right! Not sure if related. Either way I'll figure this out. I think. I hope.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cach0rr0, you tried it with

pci=nomsi

or

pci=nommconf

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 2 of 23

Jump to: