FEATURES=usersync does NOT drop to portage user for sync
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bender86
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: FEATURES=usersync does NOT drop to portage user for sync Reply with quote

Hi
I am using usersync and userfetch in my FEATURES to have the emerge operations run by portage user, but this seems to work only partially. I setted these iptables rules:
Code:
iptables -A OUTPUT -m owner --uid-owner portage -p tcp --dport http -d $GENTOO_MIRROR -s $MY_IP -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -m owner --uid-owner portage -p tcp --dport rsync -d rsync.gentoo.org -s $MY_IP -j ACCEPT

The former allows only portage user to download sources from the mirror (and this works). The latter allows only portage user to execute emerge --sync. If I cut off -m owner --uid-owner portage the sync runs fine, otherwise I get a timeout. During timeout I checked with ps aux and I found out that
Code:
root      9778  1.0  0.2   4144  1176 pts/1    S+   20:56   0:00 rsync --recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages --verbose rsync://91.186.30.235/gentoo-portage/metadata/timestamp.chk /tmp/tmp39GzjS

rsync is called by root! (and of course is blocked by firewall)

(note: as said in documentation, portage user is the owner of PORTDIR)

If I cut off the user constrain and I do a ps aux while syncing I get
Code:
portage   9913 28.7  0.4   8136  2312 pts/1    D+   20:57   0:01 rsync --recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages --verbose rsync://134.68.240.40/gentoo-portage/ /usr/portage
portage   9916  7.6  0.8  49064  4136 pts/1    S+   20:57   0:00 rsync --recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages --verbose rsync://134.68.240.40/gentoo-portage/ /usr/portage

So it seems that emerge drops to portage user only after syncing the timestamp file.
Is this behaviour correct? I can't see any reason why this happens.
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, looks like the code simply doesn't pass the uid (and other stuff) to the first rsync call. Probably an oversight when that feature was added, file a bug about it and it should get fixed very quickly.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: