Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Pappy's Kernel Seeds Part III<Closed. Please use new thread>
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two new source packages from hardened-sources means more seeds. I've just uploded .configs for 2.6.32-hardened-51 and 2.6.39-hardened-1 in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Pappy
shiva_shampoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hee hoo thank you, I'll not be around my pc for few days but I'll compile my kernel with your new config files, as soon as I go to home. I also made some minor changes since then. Compiling ethernet as module is also a good idea. Do you have any other advices like what to compile as module or what to built-in? I mostly find this out by experimenting.

Will post my new logs in 2 days. See ya around!

~shiva shampoo

pappy_mcfae wrote:
shiva_shampoo,

Love the handle. I took a look at your kernel, and made some minor alterations. For the most part, you did a good job. I'd suggest that you limit down the number of CPU's you have to the true number...unless you truly have eight cores in this machine. If your wired NIC works compiled in, ok, but usually, net drivers work better when they're set as modules...even that one.

Click here for your new .config. Compile as is.

For the best results, please do the following:

1) Move your .config file out of your kernel source directory (/usr/src/linux-2.6.38-gentoo-r6).
2) Issue the command make mrproper. This is a destructive step. It returns the source to pristine condition. Unmoved .config files will be deleted!
3) Copy my .config into your source directory.
4) Issue the command make && make modules_install.
5) Install the kernel as you normally would, and reboot.
6) Once it boots, please post /var/log/dmesg so I can see how things loaded.

Cheers,
Pappy
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impatiently waiting for 2.6.39-zen* seeds :D :wink:
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too.

I've come to the conclusion that zen-sources suffers mostly from a lack of coordination. This has been true since the first time I used zen-sources. It has made keeping up with making seeds for zen just about impossible. For that reason, I am no longer going to make seeds for zen-sources UNLESS the source shows up in portage.

I hate to make that decision, as I do truly enjoy running with zen source kernels, if only for the meditating tux, which was my idea. However, I have to think about my users, and their ability to get a hold of the source so they can put my seeds to use. The git that zen-sources uses mostly keeps me apprised of the new sources coming from kernel.org. I don't need a git to do that, as I visit kernel.org daily.

So, here's hoping that the zen-sources devs can get their act together.

Cheers,
Pappy
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pappy_mcfae wrote:
Me too.

I've come to the conclusion that zen-sources suffers mostly from a lack of coordination. This has been true since the first time I used zen-sources. It has made keeping up with making seeds for zen just about impossible. For that reason, I am no longer going to make seeds for zen-sources UNLESS the source shows up in portage.

I hate to make that decision, as I do truly enjoy running with zen source kernels, if only for the meditating tux, which was my idea. However, I have to think about my users, and their ability to get a hold of the source so they can put my seeds to use. The git that zen-sources uses mostly keeps me apprised of the new sources coming from kernel.org. I don't need a git to do that, as I visit kernel.org daily.

So, here's hoping that the zen-sources devs can get their act together.

Cheers,
Pappy

:( Fingers crossed :?
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a much lighter topic, Another mirror has been added to the list. I'd like to welcome Moriah into the kernel seeds mirror family. You can get to his mirror here: http://www.elilabs.com/~pappy/ .

Also, a bit of thanks for finding a bug in the html that I didn't even know was there. Good eyes!

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some kernel sources showed up at kernel.org. That means new seeds. I've just uploaded .configs for 2.6.32.42, 2.6.33.15, and 2.6.39.2 in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Pappy
audiodef
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pappy_mcfae wrote:
On a much lighter topic, Another mirror has been added to the list. I'd like to welcome Moriah into the kernel seeds mirror family. You can get to his mirror here: http://www.elilabs.com/~pappy/ .

Awesome! :D
Discord: https://discord.gg/73XV24dNPN
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another day of kernel source feast, after a bit of famine, and I've just uploaded .configs for 2.6.32-gentoo-r32, 2.6.32-hardened-r53, 2.6.39-gentoo-r2, and 2.6.39-hardened-r3.tar.bz2 in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuxonice sources? Yep, they're still around. I've just uploaded .configs for 2.6.34.10, 2.6.37-tuxonice-r1 , and 2.6.38-tuxonice-r2 in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow, I missed a day of uploading seeds. It must have been on the fourth, or close to it. Anyway, I've just uploaded .configs for 2.6.32-hardened-r54, 2.6.32-hardened-r55, 2.6.39-hardened-r4, and 2.6.39-hardened-r5 in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only one seed today. I've just uploaded .configs for 2.6.39.3 in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of sources, lots of seeds...It's a lovely day. I've just uploaded .configs for 2.6.32-hardened-r56, 2.6.32.43, 2.6.33.16, 2.6.39-gentoo-r3, and 2.6.39-hardened-r6 in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Pappy
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only one seed tonight. I've just uploaded .configs for 2.6.32-gentoo-r33 in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

Cheers
Pappy
ClientAlive
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@pappy_mcfae

Hi Pappy,

Is there a particular kernel-seed that is more suited to my era of hardware? I'll be doing a stage 3 Gentoo build on a machine about 5 yrs old.
----------------------------------------------------

System Details:

Model: HP Pavilion a1253w Media Center (changes have been made, though that's where it started).
CPU: an AMD 64 3400+ (circa 2002? 2005? - part of the original machine)
RAM: pc 3200 ddr sdram 400 MHz 184 pin
Mobo: an old Amberine board (4 slots for RAM - up to 4 GB but I'll have 2 - 2.5 GB)(onboard sound and graphics)
Expansion Slots: ATA (ATA?) and one pcie
Drive Types: all ide (2 X disk drives - one WD 80 GB is primary and one Maxtor 100 GB is slave. 2 X disc drives both ide).
Other: Because it's an old media center machine it has the 5? in 1 card reader and a thing with a few extra usb ports and other stuff (out the front of the machine). I'd like to keep those. (I'd attach a pic but I'm not seeing how to do that with this bb). To see the "other thing" - http://i.ebayimg.com/10/!CE!mJVQEWk~$(KGrHqF,!lsEz+4J5i0DBNQdftvG!Q~~_35.JPG

The expansion cards themselves:

1 x Modem = Gateway GVC SF-1156IV/ R9A (Gateway p/n: 6001260) @ http://pjcomputers.net/gatewaygvcsf-1156ivr9ar6795-11gateway600126056kdatafaxvoicepcimodem.aspx

1 x Audio card = Ensoniq Audio PCI 9740 (chipset es1370; Assembly NO: 01 rev. e) (can't find a link for details)

1 x Wireless NIC = Motorola Wireless PCI Adapter WPC810G (upc: 6 12572 09533 1) @ http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=WPC810G

And would like to get a graphics card for dual monitors in the near future (that's my one slot left, the pcie slot).
-----------------------------------------------------

Mostly I think about all those CPU flags and the the expansion cards after that.

Any help on the right place to start would be great. It's just that it crossed my mind that those kernel-seeds might be set up for more modern hardware (in fact, I wonder if an older kernel even is better for me) and I wanted to ask about that. Just though some system details would help too.

Thanks.
Moriah
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several machines on my network that are older than that. :(

I still use the most up to date kernel available at the time I do a kernel build. I do not upgrade my kernel every time a new one comes out, but kernels need to be kept reasonably up to date for security reason, at least if they are on internet facing machines.

For instance, I have an old Intel board based box from 2003 or 2004. It is running:
Code:

daniel ~ # uname -a
Linux daniel 2.6.37-gentoo-r4 #2 SMP PREEMPT Fri May 6 13:18:58 EDT 2011 i686 Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

The seeds do not specify your peripherals; that is done when you configure the seed, before you build the kernel.

Foghorn Leghorn is a Warner Bros. cartoon character.
Trog Dog
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a walk through on how to use one of Pappy's seeds watch this video by cach0rr0
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not that old. You can use pretty much any sources you desire. The .39 and .38 kernel families are both stable and acceptable. As for doing the setup, definitely check out the video of how to do it.

The best way to get the list of devices you have in your computer is to issue the command, lspci -n, and send the results to this site: http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/ . That will tell you exactly which devices you have and need to activate in order for your system to interact with the kernel hardware-wise. Once that is set, then just set for the file system you wish to use, compile, and you're done.

Of course, I can do the setup here. Just send me the results of lspci -n and cat /proc/cpuinfo as well as your /etc/fstab file, and your current .config as well. Please use pastebin to send the .config.

Cheers,
Pappy
ClientAlive
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pappy_mcfae wrote:
That's not that old. You can use pretty much any sources you desire. The .39 and .38 kernel families are both stable and acceptable. As for doing the setup, definitely check out the video of how to do it.

The best way to get the list of devices you have in your computer is to issue the command, lspci -n, and send the results to this site: http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/ . That will tell you exactly which devices you have and need to activate in order for your system to interact with the kernel hardware-wise. Once that is set, then just set for the file system you wish to use, compile, and you're done.

Of course, I can do the setup here. Just send me the results of lspci -n and cat /proc/cpuinfo as well as your /etc/fstab file, and your current .config as well. Please use pastebin to send the .config.

Cheers,
Pappy

Hi,

Yeah, that video is not loading for some reason. Maybe Vimeo is having some technical difficulties.

Someone recently mentioned two commands to me that sound like a promising route to go. I think they are just alternative ways to get the same result.

Code:
make localmodconfig

And

Code:
make localyesconfig

I think I'll look into those a little. It's getting late here now and I still need to make sure my bios is set up right and my cpu fan is lubed (don't ask - I had a little situation earlier and the second part ties into a little "cleaning up" I did on that machine using denatured alc a couple nights ago).

If I don't have to work tomorrow morn - It's On!

:D
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you want an overloaded, nonfunctional kernel, I warn against either, especially make allmodconfig. That only works if you're going to set up initrd/initramfs. The other is sure to be bloated and unstable.

Cheers,
Pappy
Trog Dog
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClientAlive wrote:

Yeah, that video is not loading for some reason. Maybe Vimeo is having some technical difficulties.

Just tried it now and is working ok (in win7 & debian 32 bit but not gentoo 64 bit :oops:) Although in my defence I don't have any of my boxes configured for full desktop use and I only vnc into them. Maybe a flash issue?

Edit: yep, need flash installed

Last edited by Trog Dog on Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weekly hardened-source releases came today, which naturally means more seeds. I've just uploaded .configs for 2.6.32-hardened-r57 and 2.6.39-hardened-r7 in both x86 and x86_64 flavors. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Pappy
ClientAlive
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trog Dog wrote:
ClientAlive wrote:

Just tried it now and is working ok (in win7 & debian 32 bit but not gentoo 64 bit :oops:) Although in my defence I don't have any of my boxes configured for full desktop use and I only vnc into them. Maybe a flash issue?

Edit: yep, need flash installed

Hi,

I have flash. Never had any problems with youtube or anything else. Was just hat one video for some reason. After I read this post (that it was working for you) I tried again and got it to play but full screen won't work and I can't really see the tiny yellow writing on a gray background with other writing behind because the screen is set with transparency (I mean the screen of the person in the video). I use Opera so I though maybe that was it. Tried Firefox but no difference. Not sure why it's being weird on me. Thanks anyway though.

:D
Trog Dog
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you need to view it in full screen, (as well as pausing and replaying) will investigate further tomorrrow.
pablolibo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys,

long time i was looking a site with it

Thank!
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 23 of 24

Jump to: