Packages requiring libpng 1.2 failing to build
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wdsci
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Packages requiring libpng 1.2 failing to build Reply with quote

I did an emerge -uaND world today, and it's been maybe a couple weeks since my last one, so there were a lot of packages to update. So far the emerge has failed about 5 times with make errors on various packages, and when I look at the errors in detail, they all seem to be related to PNG image handling code in some way. Most recently I got this nice little message:
Code:
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.3/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: warning: libpng12.so.0, needed by /usr/lib64/libkhtml.so.5.4.0, not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)

so it seems like kde-base/kinfocenter, at least, requires specifically version 1.2 of libpng. As part of my world update, I upgraded to libpng 1.4.2, which I guess would explain why it's having problems, but if these packages require libpng 1.2 specifically, shouldn't that be marked in the ebuild? Have I discovered a bug? I've tried searching for information about this on the forums and Bugzilla and it seems odd that I'm not finding anything, unless I'm the only one having this problem.
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried "revdep-rebuild" since the last time you updated media-libs/libpng ?
wdsci
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I'll try that and see if it fixes anything. (Incidentally, the update to libpng 1.4.2 occurred about 2 hours ago and emerge has been running continuously since then, except for when it fails and I restart it with --resume --skipfirst, so it's not a circumstance under which I'd expect to need to run revdep-rebuild right away)
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I read, the libpng 1.2 to 1.4 upgrade will require a lot of packages to be rebuilt.
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-818570.html

ps. I will probably do this upgrade on my own machines tomorrow.
wdsci
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pointer to the thread... not sure why I didn't find that when I was looking earlier.

Anyway, revdep-rebuild just failed on media-gfx/graphviz, so maybe I'll look into filing a bug report on that.
Lazhu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the same trouble yestereve. revdep-rebuild doesn't help, and so the lafilefixer. The only way right now is to symlink libpng14 to libpng12, it seems. Or to replace 'lpng12' by 'lpng' in all respective .la files
razer
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lazhu wrote:
The only way right now is to symlink libpng14 to libpng12, it seems.

Confirmed, it's working for gnome-base/* and seems to be the only way
Odysseus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

razer wrote:
Lazhu wrote:
The only way right now is to symlink libpng14 to libpng12, it seems.

Confirmed, it's working for gnome-base/* and seems to be the only way

Symlinking libpng14 to libpng12 is a hack that will allow you to rebuild, but not a good idea, IMHO.

A better but longer way is to first make sure you've already prefetched any needed files. So 'emerge -euvNDf world'.

Then 'emerge --oneshot libpng'.

Run 'lafilefixer --justfixit'

Then 'emerge --oneshot cairo pango libglade GTK+' (omit emerging any which aren't installed) They should all build OK, but if any fail to build don't worry. They'll be fixed in the next couple of steps.

Now 'lafilefixer --justfixit' then 'revdep-rebuild'.

Go out and do something, see a movie, have a few drinks, spend time with your wife or kids.... whatever your going to have a bunch of apps to rebuild anywhere from 50 to well over 100.

The main thing is they should all compile fine now.

When finished you can run 'revdep-rebuild' again just to be safe or if you're anal 'emerge -e system' , but you should already be good to go

I hope this helps

Ciao

Edit: This thread is now stickied to the top of the forum with more help, examples: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6277134.html#6277134
Gankfest
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Packages requiring libpng 1.2 failing to build Reply with quote

wdsci wrote:
I did an emerge -uaND world today, and it's been maybe a couple weeks since my last one, so there were a lot of packages to update. So far the emerge has failed about 5 times with make errors on various packages, and when I look at the errors in detail, they all seem to be related to PNG image handling code in some way. Most recently I got this nice little message:
Code:
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.3/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: warning: libpng12.so.0, needed by /usr/lib64/libkhtml.so.5.4.0, not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)

so it seems like kde-base/kinfocenter, at least, requires specifically version 1.2 of libpng. As part of my world update, I upgraded to libpng 1.4.2, which I guess would explain why it's having problems, but if these packages require libpng 1.2 specifically, shouldn't that be marked in the ebuild? Have I discovered a bug? I've tried searching for information about this on the forums and Bugzilla and it seems odd that I'm not finding anything, unless I'm the only one having this problem.

Did you read the sticky posted at the top of the thread?

Everyone has to start somewhere, it depends on where you end up that counts! (>")>
Odysseus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Packages requiring libpng 1.2 failing to build Reply with quote

paradox6996 wrote:
wdsci wrote:
Code:

Did you read the sticky posted at the top of the thread?

This thread started before the other thread was moved and made a sticky by the admin. Here's a quote from that "sticky thread", "Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:32 am" "Moved from Gentoo Chat to Portage & Programming and made sticky."

So the "sticky" thread didn't get moved here and became a "sticky" until nearly a day after the OP started this one.

Ciao
tomk
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Portage & Programming to Duplicate Threads, lets keep this all in one place, follow-ups to Watch out for the libpng 1.4 update
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: