Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
are
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

psycho wrote:
whoops, forgot to come back and confirm a (relatively) smooth upgrade. 96 packages had to be rebuilt: revdep-rebuild handled most of these without intervention but died before finishing. installing libpng:1.2 (i.e. in a slot) enabled it to proceed and now everything appears to be working fine.

That is not a smooth upgrade! A smooth upgrade is
Code:

sudo paludis -i world

And acceptable upgrade is
Code:

sudo paludis -u foo
sudo paludis -i0 foo
sudo reconcilio
sudo paludis -i world

But this insane mix of arcane scripts and slotting is not acceptable. I call it just broken.
At least everything was compiled now after running this la-script.
psycho
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i said "relatively" smooth. if emerge -uD world && revdep-rebuild had done everything without any manual help, i'd call that completely smooth. i don't know about the arcane scripts that some may have needed, but for me a simple slotted install of the old package took care of the few that still required it, so it certainly wasn't what i'd call "rough".

how do developers check that a library upgrade isn't going to break stuff? is there a possibility of some kind of tool that can go through gentoo packages systematically checking for explicit dependencies on particular library versions, or is it just a case of having to test everything? if an automated check is possible then i guess it needs to be developed/improved, but if it's a case of testing, i don't see how this kind of glitch is "unacceptable". we're running ~ (testing) systems aren't we?
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this case, simply the ability to be observant was all that was really needed. All I had to do was have libpng-1.4.2 emerged, and I knew there was an issue right away. How could you not know considering how many things broke immediately?

How immediately? The packages that came after libpng-1.4.2 required GTK+-2.0, which was hosed immediately, failed emerge. Then I couldn't open a second terminal...that was also caused by broken GTK+. When I checked the log and noted that only libpng could have caused that damage, and went back to the old version...suddenly all was well.

I looked for and found a bug on libpng-1.4.2, and reported my findings. Right before the bug was declared a dupe, some dev seemed to think that there was no relation between the havoc wreaked by libpng-1.4.2 and the failures of GTK and svg. I've gone back to check for that bug, but I stupidly forgot to bookmark it. Since it was a dupe, it doesn't show up in searches anymore.

So, a little due diligence, which would have gone far in hastening the repair of this bug, was seemingly nowhere to be found. Reports were made very early that this was an issue.

Oh well, it's fixed on all my machines now, so la-de-da. I can't wait to see the next bomb the libpng people drop on us. I can only imagine it will spawn more bugs, and lots more threads as we go forward.

Cheers,
Pappy
Uli Sing
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Master of Maskerade Reply with quote

ssuominen wrote:
Nope, that was enough. Thanks! And it's fixed now in Portage. Portage rsync mirrors take some hour to update though.

15 May 2010; Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@gentoo.org>
texlive-core-2008-r7.ebuild:
Update libpng14 patch for 2008; extra chunk was required for XeTeX_ext.c
and "png_libpng_ver".

Now working and did not even install that antiquated libpng-1.2.x ;)

Thank you very much!
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a list of core packages that can totally break a system like this? i.e. a list that has things like libpng, libjpeg, expat etc.

Luckily this time I caught this one (I'm now mega paranoid every time I see lib-something being emerged and automatically block it (Usually for several months!) while I research and make sure it's safe), but there are obviously things (like expat) which aren't lib-something so I have no way of knowing in advance whether it's system-crippling or not...
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyker wrote:
Is there a list of core packages that can totally break a system like this? i.e. a list that has things like libpng, libjpeg, expat etc.

Luckily this time I caught this one (I'm now mega paranoid every time I see lib-something being emerged and automatically block it (Usually for several months!) while I research and make sure it's safe), but there are obviously things (like expat) which aren't lib-something so I have no way of knowing in advance whether it's system-crippling or not...

You just have to carefully watch what is about to update before updating.

To break the system, a library needs two things: It should break the abi in the new version, and it needs to be used by a lot of other packages.

If it's a major-version update, you know there may be abi problems. If it's a dot-version, but the previous dot-dot-version was a really big number, that should also send a red signal. If it's a small bugfix update, it's very unlikely that it will break anything. If in doubt, I go to the website and look at the changelog.

And if it looks like it might break stuff, you can run "equery d libfoo" to see what kinds of stuff it might affect and evaluate if you have the time to deal with the possible breakage.
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's effectively what I'm doing at the moment; I just feel this sort of thing should be dealt with by the package manager, or at least handled better than it currently is. :(
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Portage 2.2 does preserve used libs, but the way the update was done (with blocks and slots), it was impossible for it to do that since it had to explicitly unmerge the old version before installing the new one.
poolshrk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssuominen wrote:
minen@unique ~ $ qlist -CIv |grep libpng
media-libs/libpng-1.2.43-r1
media-libs/libpng-1.4.2

I have old slotted libpng 1.2 for binary-only pkgs that can't be re-emerged.

Then I have rest of the system, with more than 3000 ebuilds compiled fine against libpng 1.4.

Here are some hints are doing this...

1. # emerge cairo pango gtk+ atk libglade qt-gui
1.b # Try revdep-rebuild again, with luck, you get a bit futher now
And when it fails, go to 2:

2. Checking system sanity.

# find /usr/lib* -name '*.la'| xargs grep ^dep lpng12

^ If that results files, those files are broken, edit them by hand to lpng14 or deleting the whole -lpng12 is also OK in most cases, or figure our some magic
command do that all in once ;-)

# Serious suggestion. Set LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed to /etc/make.conf to avoid 90% of this kind of trouble in future.

I tried the above, along with lafilefixer --justfixit multiple times and revdep-rebuild still wouldn't emerge some things. After doing step #1 above this seems to be working for me:

Code:

find /usr/lib* -name '*.la' | xargs grep "^dep.*lpng12" | sed -e "s/:.*$//" | xargs equery -q belongs -n | xargs emerge -pv
find /usr/lib* -name '*.la' | xargs grep "^dep.*lpng12" | sed -e "s/:.*$//" | xargs equery -q belongs -n | xargs emerge --oneshot --keep-going
lafilefixer --justfixit
revdep-rebuild -i -- --keep-going
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poolshrk wrote:
ssuominen wrote:
minen@unique ~ $ qlist -CIv |grep libpng
media-libs/libpng-1.2.43-r1
media-libs/libpng-1.4.2

I have old slotted libpng 1.2 for binary-only pkgs that can't be re-emerged.

Then I have rest of the system, with more than 3000 ebuilds compiled fine against libpng 1.4.

Here are some hints are doing this...

1. # emerge cairo pango gtk+ atk libglade qt-gui
1.b # Try revdep-rebuild again, with luck, you get a bit futher now
And when it fails, go to 2:

2. Checking system sanity.

# find /usr/lib* -name '*.la'| xargs grep ^dep lpng12

^ If that results files, those files are broken, edit them by hand to lpng14 or deleting the whole -lpng12 is also OK in most cases, or figure our some magic
command do that all in once ;-)

# Serious suggestion. Set LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed to /etc/make.conf to avoid 90% of this kind of trouble in future.

I tried the above, along with lafilefixer --justfixit multiple times and revdep-rebuild still wouldn't emerge some things. After doing step #1 above this seems to be working for me:

Code:

find /usr/lib* -name '*.la' | xargs grep "^dep.*lpng12" | sed -e "s/:.*$//" | xargs equery -q belongs -n | xargs emerge -pv
find /usr/lib* -name '*.la' | xargs grep "^dep.*lpng12" | sed -e "s/:.*$//" | xargs equery -q belongs -n | xargs emerge --oneshot --keep-going
lafilefixer --justfixit
revdep-rebuild -i -- --keep-going

You can also use the /usr/sbin/libpng-1.4.x-update.sh script now to fix .la files.

Note that this script was update just today in Portage, so to get latest of it, re-emerge libpng. The old script works fine too so there was no revision bump, the new one just uses "qfile" for finding the .la files instead of "find"

... and this will be mentioned in the up coming portage news item :)
Martux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!
Maybe it has been solved already, but I don't want to read through all the six pages.
On this ~x86 machine I cannot emerge x11-libs/gtk+-2.18.9, as the last package.
It quits with this messages:
Code:

/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.3/../../../../i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lpng12
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[4]: *** [libgdk-x11-2.0.la] Fehler 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/gtk+-2.18.9/work/gtk+-2.18.9/gdk'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Fehler 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/gtk+-2.18.9/work/gtk+-2.18.9/gdk'
make[2]: *** [all] Fehler 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/gtk+-2.18.9/work/gtk+-2.18.9/gdk'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Fehler 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/gtk+-2.18.9/work/gtk+-2.18.9'
make: *** [all] Fehler 2
 * ERROR: x11-libs/gtk+-2.18.9 failed:
 *   emake failed

SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martux wrote:
Hello!
Maybe it has been solved already, but I don't want to read through all the six pages.
On this ~x86 machine I cannot emerge x11-libs/gtk+-2.18.9, as the last package.
It quits with this messages:
Code:

/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.3/../../../../i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lpng12
make[4]: *** [libgdk-x11-2.0.la] Fehler 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/gtk+-2.18.9/work/gtk+-2.18.9/gdk'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Fehler 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/gtk+-2.18.9/work/gtk+-2.18.9/gdk'
make[2]: *** [all] Fehler 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/gtk+-2.18.9/work/gtk+-2.18.9/gdk'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Fehler 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/gtk+-2.18.9/work/gtk+-2.18.9'
make: *** [all] Fehler 2
 * ERROR: x11-libs/gtk+-2.18.9 failed:
 *   emake failed

Just read the one post before your post. :)

"You can also use the /usr/sbin/libpng-1.4.x-update.sh script now to fix .la files."
Martux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried that...
It gives the following error:
Code:

find: `/usr/lib64': Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
sed: no input files

Which is quite clear because its a 32bit machine...
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martux wrote:
I tried that...
It gives the following error:
Code:

find: `/usr/lib64': Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
sed: no input files

Which is quite clear because its a 32bit machine...

Intresting. The updated script should solve this problem since it's using "qfile" instead of "find" now.
Please "emerge --sync" and "emerge -1 libpng" to get the latest script.
Martux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssuominen:
Thank you, that worked :)
Funny thing now is, whenever I run emerge @preserved-rebuild, I get:
Code:

emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "x11-libs/qt:3"

What is no wonder, this is a qt4/kde4 only machine.
Strange...
dufeu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the upgrade from libpng-1.2.x to libpng-1.4.2.

As per instructions, I did the revdep-rebuild. Over 100 packages were to be rebuilt.

Noticing that the problematical error messages all indicated that 'libpng12.la' couldn't be found, I executed:
Code:
lafilefixer --justfixit

This allowed 'revdep-rebuild -i -p' to run to completion with no further issues.

I have two packages that are still giving me problems. Both packages have the same error and it appears to be related to the libpng upgrade. The first package is ogmrip. @preserved-rebuild wants to rebuild ogmrip for tiff version issues:
Code:
!!! existing preserved libs:
>>> package: media-libs/tiff-4.0.0_beta5
 *  - /usr/lib64/libtiff.so.3
 *  - /usr/lib64/libtiff.so.3.9.2
 *      used by /usr/bin/subp2pgm (media-video/ogmrip-0.13.4)

This is the associated error report:
Code:
libtool: link: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -shared  .libs/ogmdvd-cell-renderer-language.o .libs/ogmdvd-chapter-list.o .libs/ogmdvd-drive-chooser.o .libs/ogmdvd-drive-chooser-widget.o .libs/ogmdvd-drive-chooser-dialog.o .libs/ogmdvd-marshal.o .libs/ogmdvd-title-chooser.o .libs/ogmdvd-title-chooser-widget.o   -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/var/tmp/portage/media-video/ogmrip-0.13.4/work/ogmrip-0.13.4/libogmdvd/.libs -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/pkg/lib ../libogmdvd/.libs/libogmdvd.so -L/usr/lib64 -L/usr/lib /usr/lib64/libenca.so /usr/lib64/libglade-2.0.so /usr/lib64/libXext.so -lpng12 /usr/lib64/libgtk-x11-2.0.so /usr/lib64/libxml2.so /usr/lib64/libgdk-x11-2.0.so /usr/lib64/libatk-1.0.so /usr/lib64/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so /usr/lib64/libgio-2.0.so -lresolv /usr/lib64/libpangocairo-1.0.so /usr/lib64/libpangoft2-1.0.so /usr/lib64/libcairo.so /usr/lib64/libpixman-1.so /usr/lib64/libdirectfb.so /usr/lib64/libfusion.so /usr/lib64/libdirect.so /usr/lib64/libglitz-glx.so /usr/lib64/libXau.so /usr/lib64/libXdmcp.so -lGL /usr/lib64/libglitz.so /usr/lib64/libpng14.so /usr/lib64/libXrender.so /usr/lib64/libX11.so /usr/lib64/libxcb.so /usr/lib64/libpango-1.0.so -lm /usr/lib64/libfontconfig.so /usr/lib64/libfreetype.so -lz /usr/lib64/libexpat.so /usr/lib64/libgconf-2.so /usr/lib64/libORBit-2.so /usr/lib64/libgmodule-2.0.so /usr/lib64/libgthread-2.0.so /usr/lib64/libdbus-glib-1.so /usr/lib64/libdbus-1.so -lpthread -lrt /usr/lib64/libgobject-2.0.so /usr/lib64/libglib-2.0.so /usr/lib64/libdvdread.so -ldl  -march=opteron -Wl,-O1 -Wl,--export-dynamic -Wl,--export-dynamic   -pthread -Wl,-soname -Wl,libogmdvd-gtk.so.1 -o .libs/libogmdvd-gtk.so.1.0.0
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.3/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lpng12
make[3]: *** [libogmdvd-gtk.la] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/media-video/ogmrip-0.13.4/work/ogmrip-0.13.4/libogmdvd-gtk'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/media-video/ogmrip-0.13.4/work/ogmrip-0.13.4/libogmdvd-gtk'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/media-video/ogmrip-0.13.4/work/ogmrip-0.13.4'
make: *** [all] Error 2

The second program is pidgin-2.7.0 which is an upgrade to the current installed version. The associated error report is:
Code:
/bin/sh ../libtool --silent --tag=CC   --mode=link x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc  -g -march=opteron -O2 -pipe -export-dynamic -Wl,-O1 -o pidgin pidginstock.o gtkaccount.o gtkblist.o gtkblist-theme.o gtkblist-theme-loader.o gtkcellrendererexpander.o gtkcertmgr.o gtkconn.o gtkconv.o gtkdebug.o gtkdialogs.o gtkdnd-hints.o gtkdocklet.o gtkdocklet-gtk.o gtkeventloop.o gtkft.o gtkicon-theme.o gtkicon-theme-loader.o gtkidle.o gtkimhtml.o gtkimhtmltoolbar.o gtklog.o gtkmain.o gtkmedia.o gtkmenutray.o gtknotify.o gtkplugin.o gtkpluginpref.o gtkpounce.o gtkprefs.o gtkprivacy.o gtkrequest.o gtkroomlist.o gtksavedstatuses.o gtkscrollbook.o gtksession.o gtksmiley.o gtksound.o gtksourceiter.o gtksourceundomanager.o gtksourceview-marshal.o gtkstatus-icon-theme.o gtkstatusbox.o gtkthemes.o gtkutils.o gtkwhiteboard.o minidialog.o pidgintooltip.o -Wl,--export-dynamic -pthread -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -lgthread-2.0 -lrt -lglib-2.0   -ldbus-glib-1 -ldbus-1 -lpthread -lrt -lgobject-2.0 -lglib-2.0   -pthread -lgstreamer-0.10 -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -lgthread-2.0 -lrt -lxml2 -lglib-2.0   -lSM -lICE -lX11 -lXext   -lXss -lSM -lICE  -lgtkspell -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgio-2.0 -lpangoft2-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lpangocairo-1.0 -lcairo -lpango-1.0 -lfreetype -lfontconfig -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -lglib-2.0   -lstartup-notification-1   -lxml2   -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgio-2.0 -lpangoft2-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lpangocairo-1.0 -lcairo -lpango-1.0 -lfreetype -lfontconfig -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -lglib-2.0   ../libpurple/libpurple.la -lutil -lpthread -lnsl -lresolv
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.3/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lpng12
make[3]: *** [pidgin] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/net-im/pidgin-2.7.0/work/pidgin-2.7.0/pidgin'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/net-im/pidgin-2.7.0/work/pidgin-2.7.0/pidgin'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/net-im/pidgin-2.7.0/work/pidgin-2.7.0'

I don't know enough to be able to say if this is a problem with libtool or if each package separately has the same problem.

I did try MAKEOPTS="-j1" to see if that was the issue. No joy.

This is a portion of my 'emerge --info' report:
Code:
Portage 2.2_rc67 (default/linux/amd64/10.0, gcc-4.4.3, glibc-2.11.1-r0, 2.6.33.4 x86_64)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-2.6.33.4-x86_64-AMD_Phenom-tm-_9600_Quad-Core_Processor-with-gentoo-2.0.1
Timestamp of tree: Mon, 17 May 2010 19:00:19 +0000
ccache version 2.4 [enabled]
app-shells/bash:     4.1_p5
dev-java/java-config: 2.1.11
dev-lang/python:     2.5.4-r4, 2.6.5-r2, 3.1.2-r3
dev-python/pycrypto: 2.1.0
dev-util/ccache:     2.4-r8
dev-util/cmake:      2.8.1-r1
sys-apps/baselayout: 2.0.1
sys-apps/openrc:     0.6.1-r1
sys-apps/sandbox:    2.2
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.65
sys-devel/automake:  1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r3, 1.10.3, 1.11.1
sys-devel/binutils:  2.20.1-r1
sys-devel/gcc:       4.4.3-r2
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.4.1
sys-devel/libtool:   2.2.6b
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.33
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64 ~amd64"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="* -@EULA dlj-1.1 PUEL"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=opteron -O2 -pipe"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/share/X11/xkb /usr/share/config /var/lib/hsqldb"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/env.d /etc/env.d/java/ /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/php/apache2-php5/ext-active/ /etc/php/cgi-php5/ext-active/ /etc/php/cli-php5/ext-active/ /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo /etc/texmf/language.dat.d /etc/texmf/language.def.d /etc/texmf/updmap.d /etc/texmf/web2c"
CXXFLAGS="-march=opteron -O2 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="assume-digests ccache distlocks fixpackages news parallel-fetch preserve-libs protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org"
LANG="en_US.utf8"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1"
LINGUAS="en"
MAKEOPTS="-j6"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/var/lib/layman/zugaina /var/lib/layman/x11 /usr/local/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"

Can someone provide some guidance?

Thanks.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had problems with pidgin too, rebuilding tiff & cairo & librsvg & gtk+ ended up fixing it for me.
billydv
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now completed the upgrade and do not have the older libpng slotted, only the one newer version. After running the posted advised solutions in this thread earlier and numerous revdep-rebuilds, the last few packages that would not rebuild with only the newer libpng were finally rebuilt by unmerging the prior to emerging.
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billydv wrote:
I have now completed the upgrade and do not have the older libpng slotted, only the one newer version. After running the posted advised solutions in this thread earlier and numerous revdep-rebuilds, the last few packages that would not rebuild with only the newer libpng were finally rebuilt by unmerging the prior to emerging.

Are you certain? Try running emerge -pv libpng:1.2.
arnvidr
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant_P wrote:
I had problems with pidgin too, rebuilding tiff & cairo & librsvg & gtk+ ended up fixing it for me.
I had to re-emerge glade, cairo and pango to be able to rebuild gtk+, and after that pidgin (and everything else) worked just fine again.
dufeu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dufeu wrote:

... snipped for brevity ...

I have two packages that are still giving me problems. Both packages have the same error and it appears to be related to the libpng upgrade. The first package is ogmrip. @preserved-rebuild wants to rebuild ogmrip for tiff version issues:
Code:
!!! existing preserved libs:
>>> package: media-libs/tiff-4.0.0_beta5
 *  - /usr/lib64/libtiff.so.3
 *  - /usr/lib64/libtiff.so.3.9.2
 *      used by /usr/bin/subp2pgm (media-video/ogmrip-0.13.4)

This is the associated error report:
Code:
libtool: link: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -shared  .libs/ogmdvd-cell-renderer-language.o .libs/ogmdvd-chapter-list.o .libs/ogmdvd-drive-chooser.o .libs/ogmdvd-drive-chooser-widget.o .libs/ogmdvd-drive-chooser-dialog.o .libs/ogmdvd-marshal.o .libs/ogmdvd-title-chooser.o .libs/ogmdvd-title-chooser-widget.o   -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/var/tmp/portage/media-video/ogmrip-0.13.4/work/ogmrip-0.13.4/libogmdvd/.libs -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/pkg/lib ../libogmdvd/.libs/libogmdvd.so -L/usr/lib64 -L/usr/lib /usr/lib64/libenca.so /usr/lib64/libglade-2.0.so /usr/lib64/libXext.so -lpng12 /usr/lib64/libgtk-x11-2.0.so /usr/lib64/libxml2.so /usr/lib64/libgdk-x11-2.0.so /usr/lib64/libatk-1.0.so /usr/lib64/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so /usr/lib64/libgio-2.0.so -lresolv /usr/lib64/libpangocairo-1.0.so /usr/lib64/libpangoft2-1.0.so /usr/lib64/libcairo.so /usr/lib64/libpixman-1.so /usr/lib64/libdirectfb.so /usr/lib64/libfusion.so /usr/lib64/libdirect.so /usr/lib64/libglitz-glx.so /usr/lib64/libXau.so /usr/lib64/libXdmcp.so -lGL /usr/lib64/libglitz.so /usr/lib64/libpng14.so /usr/lib64/libXrender.so /usr/lib64/libX11.so /usr/lib64/libxcb.so /usr/lib64/libpango-1.0.so -lm /usr/lib64/libfontconfig.so /usr/lib64/libfreetype.so -lz /usr/lib64/libexpat.so /usr/lib64/libgconf-2.so /usr/lib64/libORBit-2.so /usr/lib64/libgmodule-2.0.so /usr/lib64/libgthread-2.0.so /usr/lib64/libdbus-glib-1.so /usr/lib64/libdbus-1.so -lpthread -lrt /usr/lib64/libgobject-2.0.so /usr/lib64/libglib-2.0.so /usr/lib64/libdvdread.so -ldl  -march=opteron -Wl,-O1 -Wl,--export-dynamic -Wl,--export-dynamic   -pthread -Wl,-soname -Wl,libogmdvd-gtk.so.1 -o .libs/libogmdvd-gtk.so.1.0.0
make[3]: *** [libogmdvd-gtk.la] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/media-video/ogmrip-0.13.4/work/ogmrip-0.13.4/libogmdvd-gtk'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/media-video/ogmrip-0.13.4/work/ogmrip-0.13.4/libogmdvd-gtk'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/media-video/ogmrip-0.13.4/work/ogmrip-0.13.4'

... snipped for brevity ...

It turns out that Diego "flameeyes" has posted a note about -lpng12 issues. The solution is to run:
Code:
fgrep -e '-lpng12' --include '*.la' /usr/lib64 -rl | qfile -Cq -f - | sort -u | sudo xargs emerge -1

Remove 'sudo' from his recommendation if your system configured with default security.

On my system, these are the packages that ended up being reinstalled:
Code:
# fgrep -e '-lpng12' --include '*.la' /usr/lib64 -rl | qfile -Cq -f - | sort -u | sudo xargs emerge -pv1
fgrep: warning: /usr/lib64/mozilla-firefox/defaults/autoconfig/autoconfig: recursive directory loop

fgrep: warning: /usr/lib64/xulrunner-1.9/defaults/autoconfig/autoconfig: recursive directory loop

fgrep: warning: /usr/lib64/xulrunner-1.9/bin: recursive directory loop

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] sys-devel/gcc-4.4.3-r2  USE="fortran gcj gtk mudflap (multilib) nls nptl openmp (-altivec) -bootstrap -build -doc (-fixed-point) -graphite (-hardened) (-libffi) -multislot (-n32) (-n64) -nocxx -objc -objc++ -objc-gc -test -vanilla" 0 kB [0]                                                 
[ebuild   R   ] gnome-base/libglade-2.6.4  USE="-debug -doc" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] x11-libs/libwnck-2.28.0  USE="-doc -startup-notification" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] x11-libs/libsexy-0.1.11-r2  USE="-doc" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] app-text/gtkspell-2.0.16  USE="-doc" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] gnome-base/gnome-keyring-2.28.2  USE="pam -debug -doc -test" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] media-libs/libcanberra-0.23  USE="alsa gstreamer gtk pulseaudio -oss -tdb" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] dev-cpp/cairomm-1.8.2  USE="svg -doc" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] dev-libs/libunique-1.0.8  USE="dbus -debug -doc -test" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] x11-libs/gtksourceview-2.8.2  USE="-doc" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] dev-libs/gdl-2.28.2  USE="-doc" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] gnome-base/libgnomekbd-2.28.2  0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] gnome-extra/gtkhtml-3.28.3  USE="-glade" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] x11-libs/goocanvas-0.14  USE="-doc -examples" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] dev-db/libiodbc-3.52.7  USE="gtk" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] dev-python/gtkhtml-python-2.19.1  USE="-debug -examples" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] dev-python/gtkmozembed-python-2.19.1-r12  USE="-debug -doc" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] games-board/ggz-gtk-client-0.0.14.1  USE="-debug" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] gnome-extra/at-spi-1.28.1  USE="-debug -doc -test" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] gnome-extra/polkit-gnome-0.96  USE="-debug -doc -examples" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] lxde-base/lxpanel-0.5.5  USE="alsa" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] media-gfx/gtkimageview-1.6.4  USE="-debug -doc -examples -test" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] media-libs/swfdec-0.8.4  USE="alsa ffmpeg gstreamer gtk pulseaudio -doc" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] media-plugins/gst-plugins-pango-0.10.28  0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] net-print/gutenprint-5.2.5-r1  USE="cups foomaticdb gimp gtk ppds readline" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] x11-libs/libsvg-cairo-0.1.6  0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] x11-themes/gtk-engines-2.18.5  USE="accessibility -lua" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] x11-themes/gtk-engines-xfce-2.6.0  0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] dev-python/pygtk-2.16.0-r1  USE="-doc -examples -test" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] gnome-base/libgnomecanvas-2.26.0  USE="-debug -doc -test" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] xfce-base/libxfcegui4-4.6.3  USE="-debug -glade -startup-notification" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] x11-libs/gtkglext-1.2.0  USE="-debug" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] dev-cpp/pangomm-2.26.0  USE="-doc" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] gnome-extra/gnome-media-2.28.5  USE="pulseaudio" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] x11-libs/libgksu-2.0.12-r1  USE="nls -doc" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] app-cdr/brasero-2.28.3  USE="cdr css libburn -beagle -doc -nautilus -playlist -test" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] dev-python/gdl-python-2.19.1-r2  USE="-debug -examples" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] dev-python/gtkspell-python-2.19.1  USE="-debug -doc -examples" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] dev-python/libwnck-python-2.28.0  USE="-examples" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] media-sound/alsaplayer-0.99.80-r1  USE="alsa audiofile flac gtk id3tag mad nas nls ogg opengl vorbis xosd -doc -esd -jack -oss" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] media-video/kino-1.3.3  USE="alsa dvdr gpac gstreamer lame quicktime sox vorbis" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] media-video/lives-1.2.1  USE="libvisual matroska nls ogg theora" 0 kB [1]
[ebuild   R   ] x11-wm/metacity-2.28.1  USE="xinerama -test" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] gnome-base/gnome-desktop-2.28.2-r1  USE="-debug -doc" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] dev-cpp/gtkmm-2.18.2  USE="-doc -examples -test" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] gnome-base/libbonoboui-2.24.3  USE="-doc -test" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] dev-libs/libgweather-2.28.0  USE="python -doc" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] dev-python/libgnomecanvas-python-2.28.0  USE="-examples" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] x11-libs/vte-0.22.5  USE="python -debug -doc -glade" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] dev-python/sexy-python-0.1.9-r1  0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] net-dns/avahi-0.6.25-r1  USE="dbus gdbm gtk ipv6 mdnsresponder-compat mono python qt4 -autoipd -bookmarks -doc -howl-compat -test" 0 kB [0]                                                                                                                                                       
[ebuild   R   ] dev-python/gnome-media-python-2.28.0  USE="-examples" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] dev-python/libgksu-python-2.19.1  USE="-debug -examples" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] dev-python/pygoocanvas-0.14.1  USE="-doc -examples" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] dev-python/pygtkglext-1.1.0  USE="-examples" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] dev-python/pygtksourceview-2.8.0  USE="-debug -doc" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] dev-util/glade-3.6.7  USE="python -debug -doc -gnome" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] gnome-base/gdm-2.20.10-r3  USE="accessibility consolekit ipv6 pam tcpd xinerama -afs -branding -debug -dmx -gnome-keyring -remote (-selinux)" 0 kB [0]                                                                                                                                           
[ebuild   R   ] gnome-base/libgnomeprintui-2.18.5  USE="-doc" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] net-libs/gtk-vnc-0.3.10  USE="python sasl -examples" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] xfce-base/xfce4-session-4.6.1-r1  USE="-debug -fortune -gnome -gnome-keyring -profile" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] gnome-base/libgnomeui-2.24.3  USE="-doc" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] gnome-extra/evolution-data-server-2.28.3.1-r1  USE="ipv6 kerberos ldap ssl -debug -doc -gnome-keyring -krb4" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] dev-python/libbonobo-python-2.28.0  USE="-examples" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] dev-cpp/gtkglextmm-1.2.0-r1  USE="-debug -doc" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] dev-cpp/libgnomecanvasmm-2.26.0  USE="-debug -doc -examples" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] dev-cpp/libsexymm-0.1.9  USE="-debug -doc" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] dev-python/gnome-desktop-python-2.28.0  0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] dev-python/pywebkitgtk-1.1.7  0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] dev-util/geany-0.18.1  USE="vte" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] x11-libs/libview-0.6.2  USE="-debug" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] gnome-base/gnome-panel-2.28.0  USE="eds policykit -doc -networkmanager" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] dev-python/libgnome-python-2.28.0  USE="-examples" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] gnome-base/eel-2.24.1  USE="-debug -test" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] dev-vcs/giggle-0.4.96  USE="eds -debug" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] gnome-extra/bug-buddy-2.28.0  USE="eds" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild     U ] net-im/pidgin-2.7.0 [2.6.6] USE="dbus eds gnutls gtk ncurses perl sasl spell startup-notification tcl tk xscreensaver zeroconf -debug -doc -gadu -groupwise -idn -meanwhile -networkmanager -prediction -qq -silc -zephyr (-gstreamer%*) (-nls%*)" 0 kB [0]                                       
[ebuild   R   ] net-print/gnome-cups-manager-0.33-r1  USE="-debug" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] app-pda/gnome-pilot-2.0.17-r1  USE="hal -debug" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] app-misc/tomboy-1.1.1  USE="eds -debug -galago" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] dev-python/egg-python-2.19.1  USE="-debug -examples" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] dev-python/gnome-applets-python-2.28.0  USE="-examples" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] gnome-extra/nautilus-cd-burner-2.24.0  USE="cdr dvdr -debug" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] app-pda/gnome-pilot-conduits-2.0.17  USE="-debug" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] x11-libs/libnotify-0.4.5  0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] xfce-base/exo-0.3.106  USE="hal libnotify python -debug" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] x11-misc/notification-daemon-0.4.0-r1  USE="gstreamer -debug" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] dev-python/notify-python-0.1.1-r1  0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon-2.28.2  USE="libnotify pulseaudio -debug" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] mail-client/evolution-2.28.3.1  USE="crypt dbus gstreamer hal kerberos ldap mono nntp pda python ssl -exchange -krb4 -networkmanager -profile" 0 kB [0]                                                                                                                                           
[ebuild   R   ] xfce-base/xfce4-panel-4.6.2-r1  USE="-debug -startup-notification" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] xfce-base/thunar-1.0.1-r1  USE="dbus exif hal pcre trash-plugin -debug -doc -gnome -startup-notification -test" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] xfce-base/xfdesktop-4.6.1-r1  USE="branding menu-plugin -debug -doc -thunar" LINGUAS="-be -ca -cs -da -de -el -es -et -eu -fi -fr -he -hu -it -ja -ko -nb_NO -nl -pa -pl -pt_BR -ro -ru -sk -sv -tr -uk -vi -zh_CN -zh_TW" 0 kB [0]
[ebuild   R   ] xfce-extra/xfce4-sensors-plugin-1.0.0  USE="acpi hddtemp libnotify lm_sensors -debug" 0 kB [0]

Total: 94 packages (1 upgrade, 93 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 0 kB
Portage tree and overlays:
 [0] /usr/portage
 [1] /var/lib/layman/zugaina
pyrodyno ~ #

FWIW: I also encountered this issue with 'evolution-data-server'.

Finally, you may also want to read gentoo bug 319101

Last edited by dufeu on Tue May 18, 2010 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dufeu wrote:

It turns out that Diego "flameeyes" has posted a note about -lpng12 issues. The solution is to run:
Code:
fgrep -e '-lpng12' --include '*.la' /usr/lib64 -rl | qfile -Cq -f - | sort -u | sudo xargs emerge -1

Remove 'sudo' from his recommendation if your system configured with default security.

Sure, you can use that line, nothing wrong with it... but... you can also simply run the update script that comes with libpng ebuild

/usr/sbin/libpng-1.4.x-update.sh
dufeu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssuominen wrote:
dufeu wrote:

Code:

Sure, you can use that line, nothing wrong with it... but... you can also simply run the update script that comes with libpng ebuild

/usr/sbin/libpng-1.4.x-update.sh

Yeah. I saw that after I read the noted bug. My original emerge of 1.4.x didn't yet have that script or I missed seeing the instructions. I had run lafilefixer to completion since I noticed it was a '.la' problem. lafilefixer fixed all the libpng12.la problems but did nothing for the -lpng12 problems.

At this point, I kind of felt that since I jumped the gun and ran a bunch of stuff by hand, that I was better off running full reinstalls for the effected packages.

Oh well.

Hopefully, next time I'll be either more observant or have better timing. :D
meal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just update libpng to 1.4.2 and ran libpn-1.4.x.-update.sh and everything seems to works ok
-neX-
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys...

just updating a system and have had two successful with only 6 rebuilds returned by revdep-rebuild; this one however, is giving me headaches. seems it cant even unpack the file.

Code:
* Call stack:
 *               ebuild.sh, line   54:  Called src_unpack
 *             environment, line 1218:  Called _eapi0_src_unpack
 *               ebuild.sh, line  605:  Called unpack 'libpng-1.2.43.tar.xz'
 *               ebuild.sh, line  444:  Called _unpack_tar 'xz'
 *               ebuild.sh, line  366:  Called assert 'failure unpacking libpng-1.2.43.tar.xz'
 *   isolated-functions.sh, line   14:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *         [[ $x -eq 0 ]] || die "$@"

xz-utils is installed (4.999.9_beta), i recompiled, but still no positive results. after RTM of 'man xz', this seems like an issue with my memory constraints (virtual machine limited to 128M), since it spits out this error when i try to manually decompress the file.

Code:
 $ unxz libpng-1.4.2.tar.xz
unxz: libpng-1.4.2.tar.xz: Memory usage limit reached
unxz: Limit was 51 MiB, but 65 MiB would have been needed

im currently looking at decompressing using the 'unxz --memory=${mem_limit}MiB' flag; but no matter what, i still need 65MiB.

anyone else managed to work around this?

also noted, you can set the environment variable "XZ_OPT" to manage this globally once a work around is found (in make.conf or /etc/environment maybe?)

edit: okay, so i just forced the limit to 65MiB and successfully have a tar file to work with.

Code:
 # unxz --verbose --memory=65MiB libpng-1.4.2.tar.xz
libpng-1.4.2.tar.xz (1/1)
  100.0 %              515.4 KiB / 3462.0 KiB = 0.149   
 # ls
libpng-1.4.2.tar

just not sure how/where to plug this into portage to properly emerge the package. adjusting /etc/environment does not seem to work. forcing the XZ_ENV from the command line with emerge does not seem to work either. both fail with the same unpack error.

edit 2: ive worked around this by configuring the PORTAGE_BINHOST and installing the precompiled binary package - but a solution would still be nice! :-)

Last edited by -neX- on Wed May 19, 2010 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: