Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shining Arcanine wrote:
I had the same exact issue. It was caused by me having masked media-libs/libpng:1.4. You likely have it masked. Unmask it and things should start to work.

Edit: ssuominen beat me to it.

Yeah... If you really want to avoid libpng-1.4 for now... The correct way to mask it would be:

/etc/portage/package.mask:

>=media-libs/libpng-1.2.43-r3
>=dev-tcltk/tkimg-1.3.20100510

And then you have to keep adding packages to the list that start requiring libpng 1.4, and doesn't work anymore with 1.2... tkimg is just one that just recently showed up
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In hindsight, perhaps it would be a good idea to modify portage so that these issues do not occur when major system libraries are upgraded. It seems feasible:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-826378.html

That way, people would not have a reason to start masking upgrades.
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shining Arcanine wrote:
In hindsight, perhaps it would be a good idea to modify portage so that these issues do not occur when major system libraries are upgraded. It seems feasible:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-826378.html

That way, people would not have a reason to start masking upgrades.

Well... There will be a portage news item when libpng 1.4 goes stable. Minor upgrading troubles are expected for ~arch, that's actually the only way we would know of all the situations users run into. The contents of it will be something like following (this is obviously not spell checked or reviewed by anyone yet):

To complete upgrade from libpng 1.2.x to libpng 1.4.x you need to run:

# emerge gentoolkit
# revdep-rebuild --library libpng12.so.0

And if revdep-rebuild fails to compile some package because of broken .la file with reference to -lpng12 or libpng12.la, you should run:

# /usr/sbin/libpng-1.4.x-update.sh

And then continue with your revdep-rebuild with:

# emerge --resume

Also if you have cairo, pango, libglade or gtk+ installed, you should emerge them first:

# emerge -1 cairo pango libglade gtk+
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It still would be nice to have portage automate that for people. That way people can just run upgrades, let the computer run and never have to worry about whether or not core library upgrades will break the system.
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shining Arcanine wrote:
It still would be nice to have portage automate that for people. That way people can just run upgrades, let the computer run and never have to worry about whether or not core library upgrades will break the system.

In Debian or any other binary distro the maintainers would have rebuilt all the packages using libpng for you, and then you would have gotten them all in one big swoop.
I think the correct term for that is "dist-upgrade". That's pretty hard... if not impossible to do in source based distro where users have to be _partly_ maintainers themself too, in regards of rebuilding system.

Although, I can see several separate issues here which would have smoothen this down, let me list few:

-Wl,--as-needed in LDFLAGS by default, this would have greately reduced the number of broken .la files, like from hundreds to dozen or so. That's bug 234710.
That would have worked around libtool sucking, such as bug 227241.
Then there is also automagic .la file fixing in bug 271129.
Then there is also a bug that would automate the process of "If package A is emerged, then package B will be re-emerged too" but I can't remember it's bug number right now.
And there's more...
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I masked that P.O.S.!!!

From my understand of running ~arch, the packages that hit me are close to release, but may contain minor bugs. Forgive me for not considering the breakage of at least twenty percent of my packages a "minor" bug. Further, forgive me seeing the response to this issue as shoddy at best. :roll:

Clearly, this situation was mishandled. This is a full on redo of the library, and should have been presented as such. Yes, I know imperfection is what it is, but I fail to see how something that is clearly so damaging could have come down the pipeline without someone somewhere knowing this would happen.

I've also read that the new libpng breaks qt3. Is this true? If so, libpng-1.4.2 is NOT an option for me. I want a desktop on which I can depend...ie. KDE3.

On the matter of your attitude, please realize that we are a community. As such, each member should be afforded the same amount of deference as any other, especially when that member (me) is quite active in the community. Your dev moniker and five dollars will get you an overpriced latte at Starbucks...nothing more or less. I could just as easily get that moniker attached to my name, and have had offers (demands) to do such. I have the dev quiz on my computer for me whenever I'm ready to finish it, and a mentor. At the moment, I have more important things than having my status updated to dev. Remember that the next time you feel a little tight in the britches.

Cheers,
Pappy
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pappy_mcfae wrote:
Yes, I masked that P.O.S.!!!

From my understand of running ~arch, the packages that hit me are close to release, but may contain minor bugs. Forgive me for not considering the breakage of at least twenty percent of my packages a "minor" bug. Further, forgive me seeing the response to this issue as shoddy at best. :roll:

Clearly, this situation was mishandled. This is a full on redo of the library, and should have been presented as such. Yes, I know imperfection is what it is, but I fail to see how something that is clearly so damaging could have come down the pipeline without someone somewhere knowing this would happen.

I've also read that the new libpng breaks qt3. Is this true? If so, libpng-1.4.2 is NOT an option for me. I want a desktop on which I can depend...ie. KDE3.

On the matter of your attitude, please realize that we are a community. As such, each member should be afforded the same amount of deference as any other, especially when that member (me) is quite active in the community. Your dev moniker and five dollars will get you an overpriced latte at Starbucks...nothing more or less. I could just as easily get that moniker attached to my name, and have had offers (demands) to do such. I have the dev quiz on my computer for me whenever I'm ready to finish it, and a mentor. At the moment, I have more important things than having my status updated to dev. Remember that the next time you feel a little tight in the britches.

Cheers,
Pappy

It was already said in this thread that kde-sunset overlay has a patch for libpng14 for qt3, but for some reason the overlay doesn't make use of the patch. The patch is there, but unused. Some other user also already provided a workaround to use qt3's internal libpng to workaround the issue.

The discussion really started to go to constructive direction... please try to keep it that way.
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just making my points. I'm not the one that came out swinging. :roll:

Cheers,
Pappy
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.4.2 is an ~arch.

Could it have been done better? Probably

Are there any real show stoppers at this point? Not that I'm seeing

Are there going to be some bumps along the upgrade path? Probably

If one doesn't really want to use the upgrade then mask it.

If one wants to be completely safe then they should have no ~arch flag in make.conf
and their keywords file should be completely empty

~Pax everyone
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pappy_mcfae wrote:
I'm just making my points. I'm not the one that came out swinging. :roll:

Cheers,
Pappy

Pappy, although I did not read as far back as possible to see who is right or wrong here, you seem to be the one that is not handling things well. In the posts I read, ssuominen is being very courteous. Could it be that you are having a bad day?
kingzog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: A sane system only based on libpng-1.4.2 ? Reply with quote

smalldog wrote:
So it seems impossible to have a sane system whithout have a slotted libpng:1.2 !

My question is how to slot properly libpng:1.2 since libpng:1.4 have installed this:

Code:
 # ls -al /usr/lib64/libpng*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     10 May 11 21:15 /usr/lib64/libpng.a -> libpng14.a
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     11 May 11 21:15 /usr/lib64/libpng.la -> libpng14.la
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     11 May 11 21:15 /usr/lib64/libpng.so -> libpng14.so
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 253374 May 11 21:15 /usr/lib64/libpng14.a
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    935 May 11 21:15 /usr/lib64/libpng14.la
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     18 May 11 21:15 /usr/lib64/libpng14.so -> libpng14.so.14.2.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     18 May 11 21:15 /usr/lib64/libpng14.so.14 -> libpng14.so.14.2.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 162496 May 11 21:15 /usr/lib64/libpng14.so.14.2.0

I have similar experience. I have solved the problem by masked out the "libpng14" and re-install "libpng12". Detail steps as follows:

1) Masked out libpng14 : put "=media-libs/libpng-1.4.2"
2) Re-install libpng12 : emerge libpng
3) Re-install some essential package : emerge --oneshot cairo pango libglade gtk+
4) Fix lib files : lafilefixer
5) Last rebuild system : revdep-rebuild

Good luck

Just throwing in my two cents since I went through this same mess a week ago. In the end I essentially went with "emerge -avDe gnome". So the above post sounds about right. That said, it took finding this thread to get libpng 1.43 r3 or whatever to make wxGTK get through revdep-rebuild okay. Now I'm hopign WINE stops crashing on me...
Nsane457
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been able to resolve all problems with a libpng14 system:

First make sure you have libpng-1.4* and libpng-1.2* is unmerged.

Then:
revdep-rebuild -i -- --keep-going

Then, from Tom-Steve Watzke on Gentoo Bugs (you must have portage-utils installed):

todo=$(for i in $(grep -r 'png12' /usr/lib*/*.la -l); do qfile -qC b $i; done | sort | uniq | grep -v ncurses); emerge -C $todo; emerge $todo

Repeat the above steps until revdep-rebuild reveals nothing and "grep -r 'png12' /usr/lib*/*.la -l" shows nothing.

More info at: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=319061
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shining Arcanine wrote:
Pappy, although I did not read as far back as possible to see who is right or wrong here, you seem to be the one that is not handling things well. In the posts I read, ssuominen is being very courteous. Could it be that you are having a bad day?

Any day when I'm treated like I don't know what I'm doing is a bad day. To completely dismiss my input out of hand is rude, to say the very least. Fortunately, I've been around long enough that I am not afraid to call someone on rude behavior.

Had that post been pointed at a n00b, how well would that have reflected on Gentoo? Think said n00b would have felt like he/she was being treated as unimportant? I sure felt like I was!

I spent time at the linuxquestions.org Slackware forum where that kind of rude, snarky behavior was de regur. I told them to place their little cult of personality...er distro up their impotent rear ends. I was treated like dog shit there, and I will not let that kind of attitude come here if I can do anything about it...which I can.

I've also heard from another who's a little higher up in the pecking order who thanked me for defending myself, and actually told me to go for it again if it happens a second time. I think that means that the important third party was watching, and his word carries a bit more weight than your question of whether or not I had a bad day. It might also point to a pattern of behavior noticed by others before me.

Either way, I'm over it. I've said my peace, and I will say it again under similar circumstances. There is no need for Slack-itude here in this forum. None! Pat's Pets give out more than their fair share. Let's please keep it that way.

Now, about this mess, issue...whatever. I'm going to give all this a shot to see if I can move ahead from here...only to wait for the next libpng turd to drop.

Cheers,
Pappy
Uli Sing
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! I bet 50 bucks on Pappy. Anyone else?

:D :D :D

Jetzt bleibt mal locker, Leute.

What do you think about this:

The circumstances surrounding the update were a little bit - how should I say - unfortunate and qt3 users are humans as well.

Everyone agrees?

Fine. :D

btw: app-text/texlive-core seems to fail compiling. Looks like it installs a slotted version of media-libs/libpng-1.2.43-r3.
I'll have a closer look at that later...
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at package 20 of 33 on the first run of revdep-rebuild. So far, so good. Nothing has died yet. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed, which makes typing hard. :)

Cheers,
Pappy
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people should remember that when using ~arch, although not very often, things can break. So what? Deal with it, and let others know so that things are ironed out when hitting arch.

Just recently an lvm2 upgrade broke systems having the unusual(?) configuration of /usr mounted from another partition. Lots of red stuff whirling over the screen, system completely non-functional. Do you panic? No, because as an ~arch user, you've certainly got a bootable usb stick with you and know how to chroot into your system without a handbook, and fix it. And ofc you reviewed the package list being emerged first so you have an idea of exactly where to look.

Btw: System fine now with
[IP-] [ ] media-libs/libpng-1.2.43-r3:1.2
[IP-] [ ] media-libs/libpng-1.4.2:0
Uli Sing
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Master of Maskerade Reply with quote

Uli Sing wrote:
btw: app-text/texlive-core seems to fail compiling. Looks like it installs a slotted version of media-libs/libpng-1.2.43-r3.

Sadly, confirmed.

Before: Just media-libs/libpng-1.4.2 and no nasty qt3 stuff. ;)
Afterwards: media-libs/libpng-1.4.2 and media-libs/libpng-1.2.43-r3 but no texlive-core :(

---Edit---
Works by masking media-libs/libpng-1.2.43-r3

But certainly
ssuominen wrote:
Everything

else
ssuominen wrote:
in ~arch will compile against 1.4.2 without issues, no point in postponing the migration.

SCNR ;)
Uli Sing
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And by the way lost media-libs/libpng-1.4.2 (replaced by media-libs/libpng-1.2.43-r2).

My system fights against libpng-1.4.2 assimilation. :D
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NSaibot wrote:
here's the solution posted by flameeyes on identi.ca

Code:
fgrep -e '-lpng12' --include '*.la' /usr/lib64 -rl | qfile -Cq -f - | sort -u | sudo xargs emerge -1

that fixed imagemagick for me.

this fixed it for me too & came up with a quite large list: around 90 packages :o

thanks !

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Master of Maskerade Reply with quote

Uli Sing wrote:
Uli Sing wrote:

Sadly, confirmed.

Before: Just media-libs/libpng-1.4.2 and no nasty qt3 stuff. ;)
Afterwards: media-libs/libpng-1.4.2 and media-libs/libpng-1.2.43-r3 but no texlive-core :(

---Edit---
Works by masking media-libs/libpng-1.2.43-r3

But certainly
ssuominen wrote:
Everything

else
ssuominen wrote:
in ~arch will compile against 1.4.2 without issues, no point in postponing the migration.

SCNR ;)

I've fixed both Texlive 2008 and 2009 to compile with libpng 1.4 myself. Builds and installs fine with libpng-1.2.43-r3 and libpng-1.4.2 installed, I haven't seen any build logs / bug reports / etc. to proof otherwise either.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, all fine with texlive-core-2009-r1, installed media-libs/libpng:1.2 only for opera-10.10.
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
Yes, all fine with texlive-core-2009-r1, installed media-libs/libpng:1.2 only for opera-10.10.

genstorm++

$ qlist -CIv libpng
media-libs/libpng-1.2.43-r3
media-libs/libpng-1.4.2

# emerge -1 texlive-core

[ .. snip .. ]

>>> Completed installing texlive-core-2009-r1 into /var/tmp/portage/app-text/texlive-core-2009-r1/image/

[ .. snip .. ]

looks good :wink:
Uli Sing
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Master of Maskerade Reply with quote

ssuominen wrote:
I've fixed both Texlive 2008 and 2009 to compile with libpng 1.4 myself. Builds and installs fine with libpng-1.2.43-r3 and libpng-1.4.2 installed, I haven't seen any build logs / bug reports / etc. to proof otherwise either.

Sorry, I had to look after my working system.

Quote:
[blocks B ] <media-libs/libpng-1.2.43-r3 ("<media-libs/libpng-1.2.43-r3" is blocking media-libs/libpng-1.2.43-r3)

sounds like a nice new challenge for tomorrow. :D

This is, what I've got:

Code:
[...]
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-g++ -o .libs/xetex -Wl,-O1 xetexini.o xetex0.o xetex1.o xetex2.o xetexextra.o trans.o XeTeX_ext.o xetex_pool.o XeTeXFontMgr_FC.o synctex-xe.o mfileio.o numbers.o pdfimage.o bmpimage.o jpegimage.o pngimage.o XeTeX_pic.o XeTeXFontMgr.o XeTeXLayoutInterface.o XeTeXOTLayoutEngine.o XeTeXFontInst.o cmaps.o FontTableCache.o XeTeXOTMath.o XeTeXGrLayout.o XeTeXFontInst_FT2.o -pthread  ../../libs/icu-xetex/lib/libsicuuc.a ../../libs/icu-xetex/lib/libsicule.a ../../libs/icu-xetex/lib/libsicudata.a ../../libs/teckit/lib/.libs/libTECkit.a ../../libs/graphite-engine/src/.libs/libgraphite.a ../../libs/xpdf/xpdf/libxpdf.a ../../libs/xpdf/goo/libGoo.a ../../libs/xpdf/fofi/libfofi.a /usr/lib64/libpng14.so /usr/lib64/libfontconfig.so /usr/lib64/libfreetype.so -lz /usr/lib64/libexpat.so lib/lib.a ../kpathsea/.libs/libkpathsea.so -lm -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/lib64
XeTeX_ext.o: In function `initversionstring':
XeTeX_ext.c:(.text+0x50b8): undefined reference to `png_libpng_ver'
XeTeX_ext.c:(.text+0x5174): undefined reference to `png_libpng_ver'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [xetex] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/app-text/texlive-core-2008-r7/work/texlive-20080816-source/texk/web2c'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/app-text/texlive-core-2008-r7/work/texlive-20080816-source/texk'
make: *** [all] Error 1
 * ERROR: app-text/texlive-core-2008-r7 failed:
 *   emake failed
 * Call stack:
 *     ebuild.sh, line  54:  Called src_compile
 *   environment, line 3370:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *       emake texmf=${TEXMF_PATH:-/usr/share/texmf} || die "emake failed";
 * If you need support, post the output of 'emerge --info =app-text/texlive-core-2008-r7',
 * the complete build log and the output of 'emerge -pqv =app-text/texlive-core-2008-r7'.
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/app-text/texlive-core-2008-r7/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/app-text/texlive-core-2008-r7/temp/environment'.
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/app-text/texlive-core-2008-r7/work/texlive-20080816-source'

>>> Failed to emerge app-text/texlive-core-2008-r7, Log file:

Do you need the complete build log?
SamuliSuominen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Master of Maskerade Reply with quote

Uli Sing wrote:

XeTeX_ext.c:(.text+0x50b8): undefined reference to `png_libpng_ver'
XeTeX_ext.c:(.text+0x5174): undefined reference to `png_libpng_ver'

* ERROR: app-text/texlive-core-2008-r7 failed:

Do you need the complete build log?

Nope, that was enough. Thanks! And it's fixed now in Portage. Portage rsync mirrors take some hour to update though.

15 May 2010; Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@gentoo.org>
texlive-core-2008-r7.ebuild:
Update libpng14 patch for 2008; extra chunk was required for XeTeX_ext.c
and "png_libpng_ver".
psycho
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoops, forgot to come back and confirm a (relatively) smooth upgrade. 96 packages had to be rebuilt: revdep-rebuild handled most of these without intervention but died before finishing. installing libpng:1.2 (i.e. in a slot) enabled it to proceed and now everything appears to be working fine.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: