Bootstrapping guide - out of date?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexbuell
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Bootstrapping guide - out of date? Reply with quote

I've been looking at the following article

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/draft/bootstrapping-guide.xml

But it seems very out of date; are there any more recent up to date or newer guide to bootstrapping out there?

Many thanks!

Linux - the best text adventure game ever.
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

--

Last edited by 96140 on Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
alexbuell
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightmorph wrote:
. . . did you miss the fact that it was in the "draft" directory (which is completely unlinked from anywhere on the website), and that it has two disclaimers?
Quote:
Disclaimer: This document is a work in progress and should not be considered official yet.

Quote:
Warning: Not only is this guide still in its early stage, it is also built on theoretical information found on the Internet and not from experience. It should be taken with a big grain of salt until the steps in it are verified and accepted by more experienced people.

I didn't miss them at all. Nor did I take it as written gospel either. I was merely asking if there was a more up to date draft out there.

Quote:

I'm not sure how you found this guide, since we don't link to it from any part of gentoo.org. Docs in /draft/ are there so that they stay somewhat private until they're considered finished and moved to /doc/en/.

Google is my best friend. Perhaps you should ensure that spiders shouldn't poke their nose in places they have no business to be looking through.

Quote:

You should be reading the embedded handbook, not outdated, unfinished drafts. The embedded handbook is continually updated, so you're more likely to succeed by following this guide.

I am reading that document as well. Thank you for your input!

Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

--

Last edited by 96140 on Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total
alexbuell
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightmorph wrote:
WRT the "draft" directory, I think that's a holdover from the old days. There wasn't a way to stick disclaimers into files, but the GDP still needed a temporary work area where folks can see what's going on to contribute. We should probably migrate everything into the main documentation index, or just delete it if it's too old and unmaintained. There's nothing we can do about search indexing; that's all up to the infra team.

If the GDP used git, that would make drafts much easier to develop with multiple contributors, but CVS doesn't let us do that kind of collaboration.

As far as the embedded handbook goes, if you find something that needs fixing, clarification, or you have something else you want in it, please file a bug and assign it to the embedded team. A few of us have been overhauling the handbook in recent months, so now's a good time to get changes made. Please include GuideXML patches or plain-text additions if you want your proposed changes to get merged sooner.

I have filed a bug about the lack of docs on building a stage 1 from scratch for a new architecture. Thanks!

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: