multiple problems...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
irony
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 7:34 pm    Post subject: multiple problems... Reply with quote

I've gotten my laptop mostly sorted out, and I've moved on to my dual p3 desktop. The install went relatively smoothly (and much quicker!), but now that things are up and running, there's a couple of problems...

1) random number generator fails to initialize.
I checked dmesg, and there's no reference to any errors related to this.

2) "netmount" fails to start, which means eth0 doesn't come up.
However, I can type dhcpcd eth0 at the command line and it comes up fine.

3) when I type "reboot" at the command line, I get "WARNING: cannot determine runlevel, soft rebooting". It reboots fine, however, but the message is worrying.
4) during boot, /sbin/runscript.sh can't find /var/lock and several other files.

My hardware is as follows:
ECS D6VAA motherboard, 2x p3-667
384mb ram
adaptec aha2940UW
scsi 9.1gb (/boot, /swap, /)
ide 15gb (/var, /tmp, /opt, /home)
intel ether express pro 100 nic
If I need to include any config files here, let me know. Setup proceeded essentially as described in the install guide...
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Answer to question number two, about eth0 and dhcpcd.

Here is a thread that discusses these types of issues in detail (MUCH detail) ---> https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=6169&highlight=dhcpcd

However long story short you need to edit your /etc/conf.d/net so that

Code:
iface_eth0="dhcp"

and also

Code:
dhcpcd_eth0=""

unless you need to pass specific arguments to the dhcpcd command. If you need to insert arguments add them in the quotes of the second code. That should get your dhcpcd to run for eth0 at each boot.

Question number three. I never type reboot, I guess I'm a nut? I always type init 6. Same number of keys to type. What happens if you try init 6? Same error? If it is not the same error then I'd say there is something wrong with the link between reboot and init 6. If it is the same error then you definitely have something funky going on that I have never seen before. I hope a guru reads this and can make some sense out of it for you (and for me for that matter!)

Question number four. I have read similar types of errors in other threads (like this one https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=7165&highlight=runscript+sh) that might be helpful in solving this one!

Regards,
BonezTheGoon

pjp wrote:
The greater evil is voting for the "lesser evil."
irony
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Response to answer to question two:
I checked that thread, as well as most of the others that mention netmount and eepro100, and it seems that the problem hasn't really been solved. Most of the time it was a problem with the kernel compile, but I know I have the right driver (checked the FCC code), and the puzzling fact that if I run dhcpcd eth0 it brings up eth0.
What I've gleaned from other threads is that the problem isn't with netmount per se, but when netmount attempts to run, eth0 isn't up, so it fails. I'm going to play around with rc.conf and some other init files and see if I can find anything.

My /etc/conf.d/net file had just
Code:
iface_eth0="dhcp"

When I added
Code:
dhcpcd_eth0=""

nothing changed. Everything else in the file is commented (just double checked).

Response to answer to Question 3:
init 6 works fine. Where might I find the link between reboot and init 6?

Question 4:
I ran through a bunch of threads - and I think I may have misdiagnosed my problem. My /var partition seems to be bereft of any files except for a "lost+found" directory, which seems odd, as on my other gentoo system, it's full of all sorts of lovely things like /var/tmp.
It is on a seperate partition, as is /tmp, might that have caused problems?

Thanks for the help.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the future, it might help others who share some of your problems to split multiple questions into different threads.

irony wrote:
Question 4:
I ran through a bunch of threads - and I think I may have misdiagnosed my problem. My /var partition seems to be bereft of any files except for a "lost+found" directory, which seems odd, as on my other gentoo system, it's full of all sorts of lovely things like /var/tmp.
It is on a seperate partition, as is /tmp, might that have caused problems?

Not problems per se, meaning it's certainly not bad to put any directory on any partition you want. You just have to make sure that you have them mounted the way you want when certain important things happen. For instance, your blank /var sounds like it wasn't mounted during the install, so you might want to unmount it, remount it somewhere else, copy all the stuff residing on /var in your root partition over to it (making sure to preserve permissions), and then remounting it.

After that, if /var is still not being mounted early enough in the boot process for you, you can twiddle with the pass parameter in /etc/fstab to make sure it is.

Don't worry too much - you shouldn't have to reinstall massive amounts of things - it only looks like a case of moving some of them around to the places that you want.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

irony wrote:
Response to answer to Question 3:
init 6 works fine. Where might I find the link between reboot and init 6?

Code:
# init 6

...is a more low-level approach to rebooting. reboot (which is a symlink to halt) is more courteous, updating /var/log/wtmp (among other things). It is complaining because it can't get information it wants out of /var/run/utmp, which is probably caused by your other "blank /var" problem. BTW, man shutdown for an even safer way to reboot.
irony
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the problem...
I didn't change a line in /etc/fstab, so it was mounting the /home partition over the /var partition and consequently making a lot of things very very unhappy. Fixing it seems to have cleared up all four problems.

Seeing the boot sequence come up all green ok's is a thing of beauty.

Thanks for the help, y'all.
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear things are working, I do love happy endings! Thanks for posting your results! Who would have guessed that one little problem would have lead to such varried symptoms!??? Anyway, congrats on getting the problem solved!

Regards,
BonezTheGoon

pjp wrote:
The greater evil is voting for the "lesser evil."
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: