Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Why is GTK path prediction only bugged in some apps?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
psycho
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Why is GTK path prediction only bugged in some apps? Reply with quote

I patched Thunar to disable path prediction, due to this extremely irritating bug. Now I see that Audacity is doing the same thing, but since Firefox isn't, I'm not about to patch Audacity too: I'm assuming that this has something to do with GTK or with keyboard events or something else like that, and for some reason it's affecting the path prediction of some apps but not others.

The bug (or whatever it is) makes trying to enter file paths into affected GTK apps so hopeless that it's easier just to type them somewhere else and paste them in. Basically it does its prediction thing as it ought to (so, by the time you type /us it already has /usr/ in the field) but instead of behaving sensibly (like the file open dialog in Firefox does, at present) and leaving these as suggestions unless you hit Tab or Enter, it does the stunningly stupid thing of actually replacing the text with its suggestion, instantly, so that when you try to type "/usr/foo" you wind up typing "/usr/r/foo" because by the time you hit the r it's already entered /usr/ into the field.

I've seen this problem with Thunar before; then didn't see it for months or years, and now here it is again. Googling brings up one or two others who've seen it (with Thunar, at least) but no solutions. Any ideas how to fix it or (and I'd be perfectly happy with this workaround) how to disable prediction in all apps via a gtkrc option or something like that?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: