keyboard delay when gaming with wine
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Odward
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject: keyboard delay when gaming with wine Reply with quote

Apologies if this is wrong spot, as it's probably not Gentoo specific. Haven't tried another distro.

Really minor issue, just wondering if any other gamers have a similar experience or a direction to troubleshoot.

So far I've played about 5 different games under Wine. In all cases my USB connected Sidewinder x4 keyboard has a very small delay
when using mod keys (Shift / Alt / Ctrl) where using a key-combo, involving a mod key, requires that I hold the mod key probably 1/4 to
1/2 a second before I can press the next key(s) and get the expected result.

Real basic example: If I play an online game that allows chat and I press Shift G normally, the result is 'g'. If I hold down Shift for a
fraction of a second first, I get 'G'. Same applies to combos to execute abilities etc. in games, if mod key + X is required I must press the mod
key, and hold briefly, for the next key(s) to work as desired.

I assumed it was a wine thing, the problem does not exist at all in linux, so I tried to open Notepad under Wine - the result was just as
smooth as linux where pressing Shift + Letter quick and normal produced capital letters. So I would think it's not *just* Wine causing the delay,
since Wine was running Notepad. Although that may be entirely too simplistic of an approach for troubleshooting. I don't have a PS/2 keyboard
atm so just thought I'd ask, in case anyone has experience / suggestion.

Happy to provide more info, and thanks for your time regardless.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had no problems with USB keyboards in Wine. Do you have any other ones you could test it with?
Odward
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I borrowed a wireless Logitech USB keyboard. My previous was a Logitech wireless I used for 8 years but I hadn't used
it since installing Gentoo as it had failed.

Anyway, same result. So it appears it's something with my software / configuration. Thanks for the comment though. I
may buy a PS/2 keyboard, if I can't find one to borrow, to rule out USB itself. To be fair it's a pretty trivial issue anyway.
Unless it's something fast paced, where I'm just reacting, I've gotten used to just slowing down a fraction and having the
key combos work.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: