Chrome will by default automatically update
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:22 am    Post subject: Chrome will by default automatically update Reply with quote

Yay!

I was just starting to adapt to it as well. It sounds like it is the default and can be disabled. Mainly I don't want Flash though, so I guess I'll stick with FF.

What's Google planning for Chrome 5?

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Kenji Miyamoto
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will Chromium do that, too? If so, then H.264 will be broken since it's included in the ebuild but not it the normal Chromium build.

Alex Libman seems to be more of an anarchist than a libertarian.
w1n73rmu7e
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On what platform? I know it doesn't (can't) do that on Linux.
Kenji Miyamoto
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

w1n73rmu7e wrote:
PackageKit, like GNOME?

Alex Libman seems to be more of an anarchist than a libertarian.
w1n73rmu7e
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenji Miyamoto wrote:
w1n73rmu7e wrote:
PackageKit, like GNOME?
No idea, I wouldn't touch that *Kit bullshit with a 10 foot pole.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

w1n73rmu7e wrote:
I know it doesn't (can't) do that on Linux.
Why not? It's to be embedded, so I'd think they could easily download it and install it to the user's home directory.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
w1n73rmu7e
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
w1n73rmu7e wrote:
I know it doesn't (can't) do that on Linux.
Why not? It's to be embedded, so I'd think they could easily download it and install it to the user's home directory.
Is that actually done though? That seems absurd.

The only program that I use that does that is JDownloader, and with good reason.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

w1n73rmu7e wrote:
Is what actually done? They recently announced Flash was going to be embedded, and I've seen instructions on how users of systems w/o root access can install apps locally to their account for eons.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
w1n73rmu7e
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
w1n73rmu7e wrote:
Is what actually done?
If you are running a system-wide copy of Chrom{e,ium}, will it check to see if a newer version is available, then install it to the user's home directory and run that instead?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, no idea. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
tarpman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google Chrome automatically updates itself on Windows, on Ubuntu by adding a repository, and I assume on Mac as well. As far as I know Chromium does not attempt to automatically update itself. Chromium has been in 5.x versions for some time now, so I think people would have noticed if it was doing that.
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what Google is doing with chrome is excellent. It will benefit the overwhelmingly vast majority of users and will make the internet safer. Not plugging holes and having out-of-date versions of plugins and browsers is how the internet got clogged up with viruses in the first place. The people (mostly the Gentoo and debian community) that complain about this aren't seeing the wider picture.
And another girl to take my pain away...
pigeon768
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

w1n73rmu7e wrote:
If you are running a system-wide copy of Chrom{e,ium}, will it check to see if a newer version is available, then install it to the user's home directory and run that instead?
Wait - what?

I'd kick that shit right the fuck off of my hard drive. Having Chrome autoupdate for windows is good, because that's (thankfully) not a feature of the OS. But for linux it's redundant and dangerous.
cach0rr0

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
I think what Google is doing with chrome is excellent. It will benefit the overwhelmingly vast majority of users and will make the internet safer. Not plugging holes and having out-of-date versions of plugins and browsers is how the internet got clogged up with viruses in the first place. The people (mostly the Gentoo and debian community) that complain about this aren't seeing the wider picture.

++

so long as automatic updating is configurable, I don't see the problem with it. Especially on a Windows system. Especially since this is the superior option from a security standpoint, so it should be the default out of the box.
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think that this kind of functionality is targeted toward Linux users. It is probably meant for users of Google Chrome OS, Ubuntu, Windows and possibly Mac OS X. The fact that close to zero variables are controlled across various Linux distributions would make the job Google would need to do in terms of precompiling various software combinations to maintain binary compatibility enormous.

If Google did target this toward Linux users, assuming it affects both Chromium and Chrome (which I doubt), I think that Gentoo's Chromium maintainer would either disable any auto-update functionality or provide a USE flag to serve as an opt-in. I cannot imagine such functionality working out of the box on Gentoo because any updates from Google would likely break the browser as a result of binary compatibility issues.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
people (mostly the Gentoo and debian community) that complain about this aren't seeing the wider picture.
Security updates are fine. But you don't honestly believe they'll limit it to security only? They'll more often than not force updates upon users which benefit Google/Adobe, not the user.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
people (mostly the Gentoo and debian community) that complain about this aren't seeing the wider picture.
Security updates are fine. But you don't honestly believe they'll limit it to security only? They'll more often than not force updates upon users which benefit Google/Adobe, not the user.
then they'll see their position in the market decrease. There are many, many hight class browsers out there and if one gets a bad reputation then people will jump ship to the next one
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cach0rr0 wrote:
cokehabit wrote:

++

so long as automatic updating is configurable, I don't see the problem with it. Especially on a Windows system. Especially since this is the superior option from a security standpoint, so it should be the default out of the box.

Well, yes, given that windows has NO packaging facility what so ever.. That's wonderful....... But if they try to shove this into Linux systems, Google deserves to die.
shickapooka800
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cach0rr0 wrote:
cokehabit wrote:

++

yes one of the first things said was that it can be disabled (the automagic upgrading). so why so much butthurt? can you imagine if windows never had an automatic update option (that is HEAVILY recommended)? the world would be a botnet.
I think it would be good practice for major linux distros to make security installs automatic by default. In the gentoo world it would be like having a glsa check and emerge in weekly cron job installed by default. Obviously you can turn it off by deleting the cron job.
when defaults are motivated by security, and the options to change such things are available to the user, what more could you ask for? that's the best policy in my opinion.
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shickapooka800 wrote:
cach0rr0 wrote:
cokehabit wrote:

++

yes one of the first things said was that it can be disabled (the automagic upgrading). so why so much butthurt? can you imagine if windows never had an automatic update option (that is HEAVILY recommended)? the world would be a botnet.
I think it would be good practice for major linux distros to make security installs automatic by default. In the gentoo world it would be like having a glsa check and emerge in weekly cron job installed by default. Obviously you can turn it off by deleting the cron job.
when defaults are motivated by security, and the options to change such things are available to the user, what more could you ask for? that's the best policy in my opinion.
that would be considered communist to everyone in the US :P :wink:
shickapooka800
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AidanJT wrote:
cach0rr0 wrote:
cokehabit wrote:

++

Well, yes, given that windows has NO packaging facility what so ever.. That's wonderful....... But if they try to shove this into Linux systems, Google deserves to die.

I think it would be just fine if chrome stepped out and called sudo to run the package manager for a chrome update from, let's say, a chrome specific repo. It could then prompt you (like all auto-updating software does) if you'd like to update given a new security patch is out, you'd enter in your password and the package manager would get the go-ahead to grab the patch.
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shickapooka800 wrote:
AidanJT wrote:
cach0rr0 wrote:
cokehabit wrote:

++

I think it would be just fine if chrome stepped out and called sudo to run the package manager for a chrome update from, let's say, a chrome specific repo. It could then prompt you (like all auto-updating software does) if you'd like to update given a new security patch is out, you'd enter in your password and the package manager would get the go-ahead to grab the patch.

If people get into the habit of answering yes to a random sudo screen that appears in their Desktop Environment, someone could compromise Chrome and then issue a sudo screen for <insert evil thing here> and people would think it is a normal update. This could become an easy way of getting privilege escalation via user consent, especially in versions of Chrome that are known to be have security flaws, where the users would expect this sort of pop-up to ask request root privileges to correct the flaw. That would make security flaws in Chrome a matter of who gets to the user first, Google, or some hacker.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shickapooka800 wrote:

Sure, and maybe we should start browsing the internet with the package manager.
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AidanJT wrote:
shickapooka800 wrote:

Sure, and maybe we should start browsing the internet with the package manager.

Shhh! You might give Canonical ideas.
jdmulloy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did they say whether or not this would apply to the Linux version?

I like the way the .deb package for Ubuntu works. It installs the browser and adds a repository. I think Google figured out one of the best ways to distribute 3rd part software on Linux. I wish they would all do this. Windows users are used to downloading an .exe and installing it. We can do that with .debs but they don't setup a repo for updates. I think it would be great if I were to go to the Skype website, install the package and have it add a repo so that updates to Skype are handled just like updates to everything else.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: