Fresh Install, wireless network proving difficult [iwl3945]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fwempa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:52 am    Post subject: Fresh Install, wireless network proving difficult [iwl3945] Reply with quote

I have gotten to the very early stage of installation where I am setting up my wireless card. I have followed the online docs exactly, both manually and with
Code:
net-setup wlan0
with no luck. I cannot ping anything except the laptop I am installing on. I have 5 computers on my network (all windows) and all are fine. I have setup SSID, Broadcast, Gateway, Route.... I have everything apparently correct. ifconfig shows wlan0 with correct info. iwconfig shows correct info. resolv.conf has correct nameservers listed. I am getting so frustrated already, about to give up on Gentoo (again, tried it about 4-5 years ago, took nearly a week to set up, broke on first update). Hard for me to give code output as I am on another laptop, obviously, and would have to hand type it all.

Any help despite my limited description appreciated. Will provide any other output as able on request.

Thanks in advance.
Zeerak
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing this is just the start of the handbook?
I never got wireless working with it, that is if I was trying to use a WPA encrypted network. Any networks without encryption works fine for me.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never did a wifi installation.

Can you try with a wired cable at least for the installation and then later use the Wifi ?
fwempa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a real duh moment for me. I gues I could just plug it in, then worry about it later. Just wish I could just get it to work, ya know.?

Thanks for the responses
Jimeny_Cricket
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If people assumed I knew things that I didn't know when answering my questions, we'd all end up seriously confused...

You realise that iwconfig can't connect to WPA only access points?
Source: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=4&chap=4#doc_chap1

Did you also have your wired LAN interface up at the same time? I mean, on my own laptop, if I have both net.eth0 (wired interface) and net.eth1 (wireless interface) running my wireless doesn't work. I believe that you can bridge or bond the interfaces together so that one or the other or both will work at the same time, but I found it too difficult to set up myself.

Thus, I just run one at a time. So, if I turn off my laptop's wireless switch and plug in the cable I'll execute:
/etc/init.d/net.eth1 stop #(kill wireless interface)
/etc/init.d/net.eth0 start #(crank up wired interface)

Before I worked this out I thought my wireless card was not connecting properly because I too couldn't ping anything, eg. ping my wireless router, execute:

ping -c 3 10.0.0.138

Response from terminal:
From 10.0.0.1 (...) packet lost

After a while, I suddenly remembered that 10.0.0.1 was actually the address I had set the wired interface to! No wonder the ping command was failing, it was trying to 'ping' from the ethernet port, which was unplugged.

You said you 'followed the online docs', does that mean you are installing from a minimal InstallCD or LiveCD?
Are these CD's, when booting, able to find the Intel3945 wireless card and load the appropriate modules and firmware for it? The minimal installCD I used (2008.0) did in fact load the drivers and get my intel2100 wireless card working, though I decided not to set it up and use it until after the install. I used the wired interface for install.

You say you can't ping anything, but can you see any feedback from the card trying to associate with the router? What I mean is, I'm using wpa_supplicant, and when I first ran it in verbose rather than background mode, I could see it was seeing my router. It took some tweaking to get it to connect, but I knew I was on the right track because it was showing me the right SSID, which it couldn't possibly have picked up unless it was at least starting to talk to the router (I had temporarily commented out #psk and #ssid entries).
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i fairly regularly do installs over wireless

a big key is having an install CD (rather, a livecd) that has all of the tools you need

The official Gentoo media have gotten better last I looked, but I still always use SystemRescueCD (no offense to the gentoo guys, just had better luck with it, tried and true, works every time)

ANYWAY

if you're doing your install over wireless, systemrescuecd normally does a pretty damn decent job of setting the wireless stuff up for you on the driver end, leaving you to do nothing more than configure the network settings

First check that your wireless interface is properly loaded by whatever driver:

Code:

# cat /proc/net/wireless
Inter-| sta-|   Quality        |   Discarded packets               | Missed | WE
 face | tus | link level noise |  nwid  crypt   frag  retry   misc | beacon | 22
 wlan0: 0000   58.  -52.  -256        0      0      0      0      0        0

ok, so that looks good.
So at that point I would do ifconfig wlan0 up and check dmesg output to see if that threw any errors. If I have no errors from the driver, time to configure wpa_supplicant

All you need to do is get a working wpa_supplicant.conf. See man wpa_supplicant.conf for a ton of examples.

I use the following wpa_supplicant.conf for a WPA2 and WEP network in that order.

Code:

network={
               ssid="myhouse"
               scan_ssid=1
               key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
               psk="<my password>"
}

network={
                ssid="parentshouse"
                key_mgmt=NONE
                wep_key0=1533437341
                wep_tx_keyidx=0
                priority=5
                #auth_alg=SHARED
}

note for a hex key, "wep_key0" will be without quotes
if you use a passphrase, it will be in quotes, e.g. wep_key0="awesomepassword"

right, so that's sorted, save that
now fire up a `screen` session

now wpa_supplicant -Dwext -i wlan0 -c /path/to/wpa_supplicant.conf

See if it associates and authenticates. If it does, detach from the screen session (but leave wpa_supplicant running), and just fire off a dhcp request to get an IP and all that

Code:

dhcpcd wlan0

bam...there you go. You should have an IP, gateway, DNS and all that set up. It should still work after you chroot, just make sure that BEFORE you chroot, you copy over resolv.conf as the handbook prescribes

YMMV, but that's more or less how I do my setups over wireless. Always worked for me
wjb
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relevant bit of my log:
Code:
# dmesg | grep -e3945 -ewlan
iwl3945: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG/BG Network Connection driver for Linux, 1.2.26k
iwl3945: Copyright(c) 2003-2009 Intel Corporation
iwl3945 0000:0b:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 17
iwl3945 0000:0b:00.0: setting latency timer to 64
iwl3945 0000:0b:00.0: Tunable channels: 13 802.11bg, 23 802.11a channels
iwl3945 0000:0b:00.0: Detected Intel Wireless WiFi Link 3945ABG
phy0: Selected rate control algorithm 'iwl-3945-rs'
iwl3945 0000:0b:00.0: firmware: requesting iwlwifi-3945-2.ucode
iwl3945 0000:0b:00.0: loaded firmware version 15.32.2.9
wlan0: authenticate with AP **:**:**:**:**:**
wlan0: authenticated
wlan0: associate with AP **:**:**:**:**:**
wlan0: RX AssocResp from **:**:**:**:**:** (capab=0x431 status=0 aid=1)
wlan0: associated

What do iwconfig, ifconfig, and iwlist scan actually say?
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, because your firmware is actually loading.
wjb
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caught me by surprise, as did hidden ssid not working.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it work when you use a standard AP instead of hidden ?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: